PDA

View Full Version : Questions for k2

Benman
October 3rd, 2006, 20:05
k2,

Saw your comment "I've already gotten rid of the Q7 (nice fit and finish ... horrible drivetrain ... and forget about a panoramic roof in FL)." in the other thread.

Some questions. In what regard is the drivetrain "horrible"? Too slow? Tranny shift too rough? Actual problems? Also, panoramic sunroof, does it let in too much heat? Not enough tint? As you know, So Cal is quite warm too.:jlol:

I spoke recently with gjg (George) and he didn't notice any of these complaints you mentioned. True, he has not had his near as long as you, but I'm kinda suprised as most owners I've spoken to think the Q7 is great for their needs.

Feedback would be much appreciated as I'm picking up my wife's in just a few weeks...:cheers: (and yes, you should have kept the :rs6kiss: :D ).

Ben:addict:

noushy
October 4th, 2006, 02:19
Ben,
I have only driven one from the dealership and had one for the day but my impressions were not bad. Compared to a S8 or RS6, yes it is heavy and a dog. But compared to other 5000lb SUVs, it drives smooth, the trans is very quiet and reasonably sporty. The demo I had also had the panorama roof, and although I do not like the way it opens, it really does not matter. It also has a power cover so you can shield it from the sunlight. I guess my issue with it was that I am so used to sport audis, the Q7 felt out of place, like an A4 2.0T after just stepping out of the RS6, S4, S8, etc. The brakes are spongey, the steering a little numb. K2, is that what turned you off to the Q7? If so, the rumour that there is going to be a sport version, with V10 power might fit the bill. The other issue is the fit and finish, although excellent compared ot most manufacturers, the vast expanse of plastic (some of it hard), makes it feel cheap compared to other audis. Ben, you need to spend a day with one to make your opinion.

Noushy

Benman
October 4th, 2006, 18:27
Ben, you need to spend a day with one to make your opinion.

Noushy

Actually, since it's the wife's car, I don't really care so much how I like it, was just more curious about the reasons why k2 didn't care for it. Wife spent some time driving it and loved it. That seals it for me. It's her car. I am just wondering if there are serious issues as I expect none. k2, thoughts?:cheers:

AndyBG
October 4th, 2006, 23:58
I like Q7, I don't find it nothing more ''spongy'' then any other of it's counter parts...

It's family SUV.

Leadfoot
October 4th, 2006, 23:59
No SUV will ever perform like a sportscar, but in says that the big Cayenne Turbo does get pretty close to performing like a sports saloon. The Q7 in many ways out performs the Porsche, comfort, fit & finish and believe it or not steering feel. But it still a heavy SUV so what can one expect from it, miracles.

You say that K2 complained about the transmission, maybe the reason is that it can be sa bit low to change down, but again it's not a sportscar.

Ben, I wouldn't threat, see the Q7 as what it is and you and the wife will enjoy the best SUV on the market, just not expect it to keep up with the beast.:D

noushy
October 5th, 2006, 00:15
I just took the cayenne tt out last night (to keep the battery charged since it has been parked for about 6 weeks). The steering and brakes are far superior to the Q7, but then again at a sticker of 94k vs. 65k loaded compared with the Q7 it should. The cayenne tt is difficult to drive smooth and gentle, it is like it wants to go ALL the time. The brakes are fantastic and slow down the beast from high speed with ease. It is clearly not a car for non fanatics. The Q7 is more casual, easy to drive around town, decent acceleration, and good fit and finish. No, it is not better than the cayenne (the cayenne has full leather and it is gorgeous around the dash and console.). But it is solid and clean. The audi would make a great wife car, and that includes mine (whose last car was an S6 avant). Just make sure she likes the entry and exit, especially with the third row. Also it really is better to bring it home, have your wife use it for a day and then make a decision. Whenever we get a car for her, I bring it home, put the kids (car seats, etc.) in it. Drive around town, and just see how it works for the family. My 2 cents...

Noushy

AndyBG
October 5th, 2006, 00:27
Noushy, I'm with you on this one, Porsche Cayenne turbo is class of it's own, no ''spongynes'' there, only SUV car with similar performance is Mercedes ML 63 AMG.

Leadfoot
October 5th, 2006, 11:48
My comment on steering feel was only based on my brother's Cayenne S which had the servotronic steering and 20" alloys, I just thought the Q7 felt better. My point was don't expect miracles from what is basically a very big, very heavy SUV, keep that in mind and both of them are great.:0:

Skaala
October 5th, 2006, 13:18
I thought the gearbox in the Q7 was vcery good. It has one of the best torque-converters I have ever tested in a SUV. Also, with the airsuspension in dynamic, it handles quite well.

Benman
October 5th, 2006, 19:57
My thoughts as well gentlemen. :cheers:

Again, just curious for an in depth review by k2.:thumb:

k2
October 5th, 2006, 23:24
Ben,

Thanks for starting the thread and sorry it took me awhile to respond.

First, the Q7 is a great automobile. It simply does not serve my needs and thats why I got rid of it. I am now driving an H1 ... yeah I know ... but I couldn't resist owning the Q7.

So my observations about the drive train. Very clunky, heavy and HOT. One of the techs told me its the same tranny (4.2) that will be used in the RS version of the Q7 which will supposedly deliver Cayenne Turbo S numbers. 550 hp and 490ft#. My biggest issue with the Q7 was the build up of heat in the cabin. I had everything limo tinted, including the pano roof, and the cabin still heated up to 90+F after every drive. I'm sure the pano roof had something to do with this, but I also ran some informal testing on the differentials and this tranny builds up crazy amounts of heat. The heat shields are way undersized around the transfer case and drive shaft allowing a big heat build up in the cabin.

I towed two 800# jets skis to key west a couple of weekends ago and my girlfriend and i were sweating even with the AC set on 62 and recirc. IMHO the tranny is overkill for this vehicle and the way most folks will drive it.

That said Ben, I know you are getting the new SLine and that rocks. I know your wife will love the car and I wouldn't let my observations sway your decision. I know you are an Audiphile and you've done your homework. Please also keep in mind that I typically trade my vehicles before they hit 2000 miles anyway ... with the exception of my RS4 ... I can't stop driving her.

Dying to see pix when she drops. :thumb:

Best
Kirk

Benman
October 6th, 2006, 16:28
k2:cheers: ,

Crazy! You usually sell your vehicles after 2000 miles???:eye: :eek: Dang! I think my 6 year old daughter may have a longer lasting attention span. :D

Tranny heat, hmm... that could prove to be an issue. I've looked through some of the posts at AudiWorld and don't remember off hand reading that before. I don't doubt at all that you had legitimate problems, but I'm wondering if yours was an isolated incident?

Yes, The wife's Q7 may come in Friday the 13th, and if so, I'll fly out to get it. If not, then I'll have to wait till the 27th as I'm busy the weekend before at ALMS at Laguna Seca (it will be my first time seeingthe R10s in person, so I'm excited!).

I'll post pics and impressions when I get it.:0:

gjg
October 9th, 2006, 00:32
I picked my partner's Q in US 10 days ago and put on it about 800 miles, mainly in NC in about 32 C sunny weather. Did not have problem with the heat (with that sunroof) at all however there was no towing.

I can only second Noushy on his write up - one problem I found was catching myself more than once at 100+ ..... (at 3600 rpm she'll run 115 mph). Handling for the size of it is unbelievable.

What Audi should have done is offer the solar sunroof option (instead or as second option with the panorama) like we have on rs6, that would help with heat in the car while parked. You can cut that relatively well if you leave sunroof tilted up while parking.

:thumb:

gjg
October 9th, 2006, 00:39
btw the gearbox, compared with ours, is like a dream .... :stick:

Benman
October 9th, 2006, 19:15
George,

Thanks. Good to hear. I'm liking the comment about the gearbox, a real shame Audi didn't have that 6 speed ready in time for the :addict: Would have made the car both faster and more frugal all at the same time. Ah well...

October delivery for me... either this weekend (if it arrives in time) or in 2 weeks as next weekend I'll be up at Laguna Seca.:race:

chewym
October 10th, 2006, 03:33
Never read anything about the Q7 "heating up" because of the gearbox or anything else. Most likely an abnormality. Also, check out the the C&D test of the Q7 versus the competiton. It destroyed all other in the handling and braking department (it was a bit slower than expected and claimed).

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11506/2007-audi-q7-42-quattro-vs-2007-cadillac-escalade-awd-vs-2006-infiniti-qx56-4x4-vs-2007-lincoln-navigator-4x4-vs-2007-mercedes-benz-gl450-4matic.html

The actual magazine article has a handy chart of all of the test numbers. As far as I remember the Q7 had the same grip as the Porsche Cayenne S.

YlwBeast
October 17th, 2006, 23:24
k2,

Sorry to hear about your experience and that you had to get rid of the Q7, but I knew from the guys at Champion, 2000 miles is usually your limit. Suprised to see that you still have the RS4. Still loving her? Love mine...getting better with miles and smiles...