PDA

View Full Version : BMW M5 2003 vs Audi RS4 2006

Hawk
October 1st, 2006, 21:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dodSqJPKK8M

JavierNuvolari
October 1st, 2006, 21:54
I would've spected a better result from the RS 4, however the M5 does have a few mods plus 800ccs. As a user previusly said : "stock Vs stock" :incar:, and we should see, if so the RS 4 would have done way better on those rolling starts.

Cool video nonetheless mate, thanks :0:

Cheers,

Javier

Fab
October 2nd, 2006, 09:49
pretty disapointing even if the M5 is slightly chipped. I wouder how many km the RS4 has on the clock...

KK265
October 2nd, 2006, 10:17
pretty disapointing even if the M5 is slightly chipped. I wouder how many km the RS4 has on the clock...

So dear Fab, RS4 has also poor performance is Sweden too and not only in Greece...Perhaps our journalists do not have to change job...
http://www2.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9892
The car has about 12.000 km on the clock and perhaps is preproduction car.He bought it used.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81728

Dear Mr.Balsen emergency!!Compressor kit for rs4 please.....

Erik
October 2nd, 2006, 11:02
A 420-430 hp RWD vs. a 4WD 420 hp car in a rolling start- how could anybody be surprised about the result?

Ruergard
October 2nd, 2006, 11:23
One more fact about that RS4, the owner had at that time modified the exhaus system to get a better noise. This infected on the performance and it wasnt as fast as a standard RS4. He noticed that when he went back to standard. No that it would ever be faster than the M5, as Erik said RWD 420-430 hp is faster than 414 hp 4WD in a rolling start. Not a surprise.

Just wanted you to have a little bit more info ;)

I've actually had a ride in that RS4 when the exhaust was modified, loved the sound! :love2:
And ofcourse also the car! :rs4addict :bow:

Fab
October 2nd, 2006, 12:09
So dear Fab, RS4 has also poor performance is Sweden too and not only in Greece...Perhaps our journalists do not have to change job...
http://www2.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9892
The car has about 12.000 km on the clock and perhaps is preproduction car.He bought it used.

Dear Mr.Balsen emergency!!Compressor kit for rs4 please.....

It seems there is an explanation due to its exhaust and also maybe of pre-prod car + the M5 has a couple of extra hp... Anyway I am personally very happy about my RS4 and the more I get km on the clock the more it goes ! I have been spending all w-e in the mountain with a friend of mine and its RS4 limousine. We pushed very hard :king: and what a great feeling this car is fantasic. It was dry on Saturday and (very) wet on Sunday but the RS4 was just handling superb.

Some pics and nice vid to follow....

Fun is not on the straight line :incar: try to follow the RS on a mountain road with a M5 (old or new) this will be a different story.

Fab
October 2nd, 2006, 12:14
Sorry but on the stand start the RS4 just blows the M5 which proves the sub 5 sec of the RS4 to 100km/h so those journalists should definitely change job :jlol:

Fab
October 2nd, 2006, 12:19
@KK265 : I spent all last week in Athens for business and I am there on a regular basis. Why not meeting each other next time ?

Ciao

Fab

KK265
October 2nd, 2006, 12:19
One more fact about that RS4, the owner had at that time modified the exhaus system to get a better noise. This infected on the performance and it wasnt as fast as a standard RS4. He noticed that when he went back to standard. No that it would ever be faster than the M5, as Erik said RWD 420-430 hp is faster than 414 hp 4WD in a rolling start. Not a surprise.

Just wanted you to have a little bit more info ;)

I've actually had a ride in that RS4 when the exhaust was modified, loved the sound! :love2:
And ofcourse also the car! :rs4addict :bow:

Very useful information.Thank you!But how did he notice that the car became slower?(Dyno graphs,feeling,street racing?) How slower?Did Gustav (who did not wrote modified M5 vs faulty modified RS4) tried the same with the "white" RS4 which i saw in the pictures?What exhaust used this guy and what parts where changed?
Many cars as the new 2.0 TFSI TT has 205 HP on wheels when the factory gives 200 HP for the engine and it is faster than competition.Why not for RS4?Do not forget that M5 is heavier too.

KK265
October 2nd, 2006, 12:26
@KK265 : I spent all last week in Athens for business and I am there on a regular basis. Why not meeting each other next time ?

Ciao

Fab

It would be my pleasure!I am there once per week because i do not live in Athens but i can arrange it.I am waiting a PM from you the next time you will be here!
Best Regards!

Erik
October 2nd, 2006, 12:51
What can I say more?

The RS4 outran the new BMW M5 on Nürburgring. Sad BMW had to make straight-line rocket car like Mercedes ;)

7:53 RS6
October 2nd, 2006, 13:18
You can say this, RS4 was on r-compound at the ring, the M5 was not:hahahehe: Same tiers and it might be the other way around at the northsclife.

Yes in the way the new M5 rocket forward its like a AMG buildt car. But there it stopps. A M5 is very trow it around, thank god for that, the differential gearbox and steering is kind of sweet spot comperd to AMG. That could not be said about the AMG, heck it dont even have a real differential, in the sporty way BMW have. As well push one E55 at tight track, the steering fails you big time every tight turn.(styrservon hinner inte med)

Erik
October 2nd, 2006, 13:28
You can say this, RS4 was on r-compound at the ring, the M5 was not :hahahehe: Same tiers and it might be the other way around at the northsclife.

The M6 was on the same type of tires ;) I don't think the M5 and the M6 are equally fast

Leadfoot
October 2nd, 2006, 13:35
You can say this, RS4 was on r-compound at the ring, the M5 was not:hahahehe: Same tiers and it might be the other way around at the northsclife.

Yes in the way the new M5 rocket forward its like a AMG buildt car. But there it stopps. A M5 is very trow it around, thank god for that, the differential gearbox and steering is kind of sweet spot comperd to AMG. That could not be said about the AMG, heck it dont even have a real differential, in the sporty way BMW have. As well push one E55 at tight track, the steering fails you big time every tight turn.(styrservon hinner inte med)

Please 7:53 RS6, don't bring up the different tyres thing again. Erik's choice of BMW was wrong, he should have used the M6 which has the same tyres and only matched the RS4's time despite being way faster in a straight line. Comparing the times of an M6 to an M5, one would think that the tyres make little or no difference at all.:hihi:

But this is not really what this post was about. The M5 beat the RS4 fair and square, we might say, oh things would have been different if it was a standing start, but the bottom line is that the M5 really left the RS4 when the speed was well over 100mph so standing starts would only help it below this speed.

The two cars have to be stock for a real comparison and this wasn't the case here, period.

Ruergard
October 2nd, 2006, 18:08
Very useful information.Thank you!But how did he notice that the car became slower?(Dyno graphs,feeling,street racing?) How slower?

How much slower I don't know. The owner has written on other communities that when he took the car back to standard he felt that it was faster.
If I remember right he opened the standard exhaust and modified that, it was no aftermarket what I've heard. But not Dyno or something like that, he just felt that it was faster!

No problem, just wanted you guys to know! :)

Leadfoot
October 2nd, 2006, 18:30
How much slower I don't know. The owner has written on other communities that when he took the car back to standard he felt that it was faster.
If I remember right he opened the standard exhaust and modified that, it was no aftermarket what I've heard. But not Dyno or something like that, he just felt that it was faster!

No problem, just wanted you guys to know! :)

A lot of testing is done on proper aftermarket exhaust and they only make gains of 10-15hp at most, but if you modify an exhaust and get it wrong and you will be very lucky to only lose 10-15hp, it could possibly be as much as 30-50hp. Back pressure is there for a reason and it's not only to help an engine pick-up from low revs but help the engine reach maximum revs, just at the two points when acceleration is needed the most. :stick: So no matter how much gear changing was done the result would be you are going much slower.:rolleyes:

Hawk
October 2nd, 2006, 18:42
Quattroruote test RS4

0-100 km/h 4,9"
0-200 km/h 18"
0-1000 m 24"
Handling 1'24"043 (M3 SMG II 1'22"599)

Ruergard
October 2nd, 2006, 19:48
Quattroruote test RS4

0-100 km/h 4,9"
0-200 km/h 18"
0-1000 m 24"
Handling 1'24"043 (M3 SMG II 1'22"599)

Yes, we've seen that before and it's a joke! :hihi:
The times sould be 4.4 to 100 and around 15.5 to 200. And for the handling.. I don't think the M3 can keep up.. :rs4addict :revs:

Ruergard
October 2nd, 2006, 20:05
A lot of testing is done on proper aftermarket exhaust and they only make gains of 10-15hp at most, but if you modify an exhaust and get it wrong and you will be very lucky to only lose 10-15hp, it could possibly be as much as 30-50hp. Back pressure is there for a reason and it's not only to help an engine pick-up from low revs but help the engine reach maximum revs, just at the two points when acceleration is needed the most. :stick: So no matter how much gear changing was done the result would be you are going much slower.:rolleyes:

Precisly, the RS4 lost power on that. It might have kept up a little bit better, but still it wouldnt have beaten that tuned M5.

But if both were original there might had been a other result...who knows?! But still, the E39 M5 is really quick in higher speeds!

October 2nd, 2006, 20:07
The M6 was on the same type of tires ;) I don't think the M5 and the M6 are equally fast

I know M6 is stock on corsa if one like.

Well the on the ring the M5 could be equally fast as M6, sure the gain is somthing for M5 if on same tiers. A set of sticky tiers as corsa are could fore sure do somthing whit the 4 seconds on the ring.

But i see your point.
Regarding kliner hockenheim my guess is M6/M5 on same tiers are not equally fast but on ring they might be just that. The extra weight in M5 will most likely affect the car slightly more on this smaller track than it would do on the fast ring. (higer g is pulled in slower bends often)

The M6 is no CSL, even it have the roof.

KK265
October 2nd, 2006, 20:28
The times sould be 4.4 to 100 and around 15.5 to 200. And for the handling.. I don't think the M3 can keep up.. :rs4addict :revs:

Street racing in Greece between M3 (ECU+exhaust+intake) and RS4 stock:Together until 200km from rolling and after RS4 1-2 car lengths front until 230-240 km/h.

Hawk
October 2nd, 2006, 20:30
I think that the new RS4 is not a very fast car
:rolleyes:

QuattroFun
October 2nd, 2006, 20:39
The new RS4 is fast allright and the old M3 has no chance whatsoever - but the new M5 & M6 are really seriously fast straightline cars in the right conditions and I think that any RS4 driver who has actually tried them would agree that in rolling start on a straight with very good traction they pull away. The M6 is essentially as heavy as the RS4 with lots more of power.

What I find interesting is that the M6 is yet as slow as the RS4 on the same tyres on the Ring (8.09) with more pace on the straights but actually less in the curves if you check the Sport Auto section times. Yet, it beats the RS4 clean off on a very tight and twisty track like HH with corsas.

Fits in with an owner's view that the RS4 is actually quite rapid in flowing and fast corners but eventually too nose heavy, understeery and slow in tight bends. In contrast, the M5 & M6 seem to have some traction/stability problems - despite the good diff that really helps a lot - along with some safety understeer that is difficult to balance away in really fast corners.

But why do bmw-friends always insist that only the best track and acceleration times from any of many tests is the valid one for bmws like M3, M5 and M6 whereas only the worst one is the valid for the RS4? Uuh, riddle!

Leadfoot
October 2nd, 2006, 21:29
What I find interesting is that the M6 is yet as slow as the RS4 on the same tyres on the Ring (8.09) with more pace on the straights but actually less in the curves if you check the Sport Auto section times. Yet, it beats the RS4 clean off on a very tight and twisty track like HH with corsas.

Fits in with an owner's view that the RS4 is actually quite rapid in flowing and fast corners but eventually too nose heavy, understeery and slow in tight bends. In contrast, the M5 & M6 seem to have some traction/stability problems - despite the good diff that really helps a lot - along with some safety understeer that is difficult to balance away in really fast corners.

Yeah, it funny that where the extra from quattro should help the RS4 around HH but doesn't and the fast flowing corners of the ring do where I would have thought hindered the RS4 but didn't. And I would have thought the directional changes that occur at the ring should have help the 50/50 weight balanced Beemer but didn't. It just show us not to presume anything.

Anyway I reckon the R8 will put to bed any thoughts that BMW and Porsche are the kings of the ring because shortly it will be said that it takes four rings to rule the one.:hihi:

October 2nd, 2006, 23:00
One should as well remember that its just peopel that drive cars around tracks
If driven the ring some time one know it can be scary place going bonkers full pedal down flygplatz or foxhole. In the end this is also a factor, all peopel will meat. One RS4 going bonker down here could get the most driver to might feel a slightly bit more secure or safe due to awd, so in that way its god.

Sorry to say this but i meet new RS4 on track quite often, and still its awd, it just aint right for the track in the first place. Even if a RS4 is driven by a pretty god racedriver on this smaller track, its still whit its awd have nothing to put against the CSL or a GT3, one have to understand this, still its a cool car.
Its to porky as well the main constuction is in some ways wrong.

Thats why awd still will not help it around kliner hockenheim ring. But awd might help it around the ring, due to its not that scary flying down in RS4 ther, as it could be whit other cars. As i always said the RS4 will do fine on the ring as its a fast track, its main stucture will not hinder it there as much as it would in the smaller track.
In genral most cars even regular cars not the sporty ones can flow around the ring in a respectabel way, its beccuse its more or less as a contry road. Many smaller track whit its hairpins etc, etc driving mostly in lower gears braking all time, will show the issues pretty clear on thease regular cars.

In some ways thats why allmost anything one drive at the ring is pretty fun, Once we drove a Audi A4 avant disel, the one whit lowest hp, if i remember right 1.6L and 140hp?. Well its still fun as and exciting as the ring is so fast track. At any other small track this car would not feel so respectabel and fun around, the weight would there get noticed in a more clear way, wich would make it feel dull and stresed around this smaller track. The same go for M5/6 if comperd to say CSL or GT3, but on the ring the M5/6 would not feel so dull to CSL/GT3, not would RS4 feel dull if comperd. These hevy car do not mather if Audi or BMW will not feel so great at the smaller track, but at the ring they work pretty well.

Razor
October 3rd, 2006, 17:49
The new RS4 is fast allright and the old M3 has no chance whatsoever - but the new M5 & M6 are really seriously fast straightline cars in the right conditions and I think that any RS4 driver who has actually tried them would agree that in rolling start on a straight with very good traction they pull away. The M6 is essentially as heavy as the RS4 with lots more of power.

But why do bmw-friends always insist that only the best track and acceleration times from any of many tests is the valid one for bmws like M3, M5 and M6 whereas only the worst one is the valid for the RS4? Uuh, riddle!

SPORT AUTO

http://img428.imageshack.us/img428/9749/rs42fs8.jpg

:vhmmm::deal:

AndyBG
October 3rd, 2006, 18:03
What about some personal expiriences here, how your RS 4s are ''scoring'' on the street?

BigRick
October 3rd, 2006, 18:33
What about some personal expiriences here, how your RS 4s are ''scoring'' on the street?

What exactly do you want us to talk about? Our experiences in the streets in terms of smoking others or actual facts with proofs (that is a bit harder to obtain in the streets)

QuattroFun
October 3rd, 2006, 20:53
SPORT AUTO

:vhmmm::deal:

Yes, we have seen and earlier discussed the predecessor to the Sport Auto super test piece extensively - and your conclusion is?

MR USER
October 3rd, 2006, 21:59
(that is a bit harder to obtain in the streets)

Not true... That is the main reason why you should always drive with a passenger... Taking pictures of drivers's faces can be as fun as driving....

AndyBG
October 3rd, 2006, 22:15
What exactly do you want us to talk about? Our experiences in the streets in terms of smoking others or actual facts with proofs (that is a bit harder to obtain in the streets)

ARE YOU KICKING SOME BUTS WITH THAT CAR OR IS OTHER WAY AROUND?

I hope, you guys don't have any problems out there, exepct with Porsches, of course...:hihi:

BigRick
October 3rd, 2006, 23:30
Not true... That is the main reason why you should always drive with a passenger... Taking pictures of drivers's faces can be as fun as driving....

The point of a picture or even a movie is hard to make. You never know exactly what you're racing in the streets. I know people that are experts at showing you that a 100,000$ car is worthless when it comes to drag racing. One STI I know in particular (360 of torque at the wheels...) you get the picture I think. So that's why I was saying that in the streets the proofs are hard to get.

And second, when I'm chasing for a race I tend to do that alone (saves weight and lives :0: ) another good reason why proofs are hard to get...

BigRick
October 3rd, 2006, 23:54
ARE YOU KICKING SOME BUTS WITH THAT CAR OR IS OTHER WAY AROUND?

I hope, you guys don't have any problems out there, exepct with Porsches, of course...:hihi:

I can see the flames coming down on me but I'll still risk myself...:doh: (just keep in mind that these are my personal experiences)

In fact, the Porsches are the easiest ones (sorry to say but they don't know how to drive) They normally think you're a smart a$$ in a A4/S4 and it's only when you're way (and I say waaaaaay) in front that they realise what they were racing against and guess what it's just too late (they've been smoked :D )

M3s are a bit harder, they normally know a bit better how to drive and they probably recognise the RS4 better so they know what they're up against.

Lexus, hehe that’s just funny, these people they think they have a fast car in their hands. I don’t when to by arrogant but these are laughable.

Mercs, they just don’t race (at least those that I’ve seen so far)

Then you have all the others that are just trying (mostly to see what the RS4 is capable of)

Ho! I almost forgot the American muscle cars (corvette, mustang, viper) They normally are a good challenge. The viper almost beat me (and I think he should have, maybe he missed a gear or something)

So I’m still waiting to have one to beat my RS4, but I must admit that there are not too many super cars around. So, no racing against lets say a Ferrari, a Porsche Twin Turbo or any lambo. These are normally parked in front of a nice restaurant and they don’t really care about racing an RS4. (bah, I can understand)

It will probably not be for this year as the super cars are making their way to the garage for the winter… those that are risking themselves now are even more at a disadvantage with the rain and colder temperature… Quattro rules!

So much for all the synthetic reviews from journalist... it's on the road that you can see which one's the best :rs4addict

Cheers

dxben
October 4th, 2006, 07:41
I can see the flames coming down on me but I'll still risk myself...:doh: (just keep in mind that these are my personal experiences)

In fact, the Porsches are the easiest ones (sorry to say but they don't know how to drive) They normally think you're a smart a$$ in a A4/S4 and it's only when you're way (and I say waaaaaay) in front that they realise what they were racing against and guess what it's just too late (they've been smoked :D )

M3s are a bit harder, they normally know a bit better how to drive and they probably recognise the RS4 better so they know what they're up against.

Lexus, hehe that’s just funny, these people they think they have a fast car in their hands. I don’t when to by arrogant but these are laughable.

Mercs, they just don’t race (at least those that I’ve seen so far)

Then you have all the others that are just trying (mostly to see what the RS4 is capable of)

Ho! I almost forgot the American muscle cars (corvette, mustang, viper) They normally are a good challenge. The viper almost beat me (and I think he should have, maybe he missed a gear or something)

So I’m still waiting to have one to beat my RS4, but I must admit that there are not too many super cars around. So, no racing against lets say a Ferrari, a Porsche Twin Turbo or any lambo. These are normally parked in front of a nice restaurant and they don’t really care about racing an RS4. (bah, I can understand)

It will probably not be for this year as the super cars are making their way to the garage for the winter… those that are risking themselves now are even more at a disadvantage with the rain and colder temperature… Quattro rules!

So much for all the synthetic reviews from journalist... it's on the road that you can see which one's the best :rs4addict

Cheers

Uhm so what you're saying is that the :rs4addict rulez? :vhmmm:

Damn straight! :cheers: :dig: :incar:

I will say though that the American muscle cars are a joke (Viper and Z06 Vette excluded). Mustang? Charger? 300C? Baaaarf. These cars are like toaster ovens on wheels. They are not even fast.

BigRick
October 4th, 2006, 12:59
Uhm so what you're saying is that the :rs4addict rulez? :vhmmm:

Damn straight! :cheers: :dig: :incar:

I will say though that the American muscle cars are a joke (Viper and Z06 Vette excluded). Mustang? Charger? 300C? Baaaarf. These cars are like toaster ovens on wheels. They are not even fast.

Yes you're right, sorry I included one too many. The mustangs are normally a joke and I wasn't mentionning the others because they wouldn't even come to my mind...

AndyBG
October 4th, 2006, 22:44

You'r SO wright..., about this one...!

Well, it looks like that only on paper RS 4 isn't good, and that's exatcly my point here, if you don't feel that your car is ''im-potent'' against others, WHERE IS THE PROBLEM? :confused:

BTW,

You didn't ''bumped'' on the proper Porsche driver, wehn you do the outcome will bee diferent..!:hihi:

Just kidding, RS 4 is ''KILLER'' ! :rs4addict

BigRick
October 4th, 2006, 22:54
You didn't ''bumped'' on the proper Porsche driver, wehn you do the outcome will bee diferent..!:hihi:

Just kidding, RS 4 is ''KILLER'' ! :rs4addict

When you look at the figures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_997) only turbo models should pose a problem. Again this is synthetic raw data and not actual driving but still under half a second between both cars (non-turbo version) is not much when you put it in the hand of the driver.
You really need to abuse the machine to reach these numbers and unfortunately most Porsche drivers don't want to abuse their cars... (that might also explain why they are easily beaten) proving once again that raw data is not the only thing when it comes to road race :)

You're perfectly right the :rs4addict rocks, indeed!:thumb:

Cheers

IulianUM
October 4th, 2006, 23:32
It is always fun , for me , how this kind of questions made all that noise . For me , just have all the fun that you can , in the car that you have or like , because the driver is the most important factor .
And my Rs4 is , for me almost perfect , the driver... not :rs4addict

But that´s just my opinion .:trash:

BigRick
October 4th, 2006, 23:42
It is always fun , for me , how this kind of questions made all that noise . For me , just have all the fun that you can , in the car that you have or like , because the driver is the most important factor .
And my Rs4 is , for me almost perfect , the driver... not :rs4addict

But that´s just my opinion .:trash:

You know, there's not much noise these days so why not make some out of these questions :dig:
And that noise doesn't mean I don't have fun... In fact, it the opposite. I have fun driving my RS4 then I have fun reporting it on the forum. Double the fun! After all, I need to stop driving once in a while :hahahehe:

Cheers

IulianUM
October 5th, 2006, 00:00
I was refering to the people that just have the "data" on their minds .:deal:
I need to stop driving once in a while :hahahehe:

But not for too much time .:incar:

BigRick
October 5th, 2006, 02:06
I was refering to the people that just have the "data" on their minds .:deal:
But not for too much time .:incar:

HO!, those ones! then we're saying the same!!! :dig:

Heros
October 9th, 2006, 09:48
cazzo non ci si crede !!
?? i think the bmw m5 on this video racing is strengthened... just a little bit!!

bastordd
October 9th, 2006, 20:16
Bmw has more power after "alteracion" because serial no wins rs4

Clio16V
October 9th, 2006, 21:00
The RS4 tested by AMS:
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2648/rs4test8oh.jpg

bastordd
October 10th, 2006, 14:05
0-200 17,2 ???? the official registers of the mark say 16,6 and many tests say 15,4
I dont´s understand... I don´t know as they make these tests

Gustav
October 10th, 2006, 19:22
Thanks for the comments :race:

Full report here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81321

Clio16V
October 10th, 2006, 20:16
0-200 17,2 ???? the official registers of the mark say 16,6 and many tests say 15,4
I dont´s understand... I don´t know as they make these tests

Sport Auto tested the RS4 in the Supertest from 0-200 in 16,something seconds.
I haven't seen a test of the RS4 doing under 16s.

Clio16V
October 10th, 2006, 20:18
Audi RS4 by Sportauto:

Engine:
V8
4163 cm^3
420 hp @ 7800rpm
430 Nm @ 5500rpm

Brakes:
380mm 8pot Ceramic-Brakes front
322mm 1pot Steel-Brakes rear

Tires:
Pirelli P Zero Corsa
255/35 ZR 19 front/rear

Weight:
1728 kg with full tank
w-distribution: 59,5/40,5 %
PWR: 4,1 kg/PS

Acceleration (in kph):
0-40-------1,4
0-60-------2,3
0-80-------3,4
0-100------4,7
0-120------6,4
0-140------8,3
0-160------10,7
0-180------13,5
0-200------16,9

Braking:
100-0--cold--35,2m/11,0m/s^2
100-0--warm--32,4m/11,9m/s^2
200-0--warm--137,3m/11,2m/s^2

Test-Conditions in Hockenheim:
Air-Temp. 13°C
Track Temp. 16°C
Atmospheric pressure 1012 mbar

And now to the interesting part...

Time Nordschleife: 8.09min

Time Hockenheim: 1.15,4min

0-200-0 km/h: 21,8sec (0-200: 16,9sec/ 200-0: 4,9sec)

Aero balance at 200km/h: +34kg front/ +15kg rear

Skid-Pad: 1,25g

Slalom (18m): 68,9 kph

Slalom (36m): 135 kph

Ausweichtest 110 m: 147 kph

Wet-Handling-Parcour: 1.27,5min (best car ever tested)
2. 911 Carrera S: 1.28,4
3. Maserati Grandsport: 1.29,6
4. Corvette C6: 1.30,3
5. Boxster S: 1.30,9

Equipment Differences from standard:
- 19" wheels + sport-tires
- Ceramic-Brakes front
- Sport-Suspension Plus

KK265
October 10th, 2006, 21:42
Sport Auto tested the RS4 in the Supertest from 0-200 in 16,something seconds.
I haven't seen a test of the RS4 doing under 16s.

Greek translation of german test:
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2451/map0000lp6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

bastordd
October 11th, 2006, 09:09
0-200 15,4 is a good time...

Clio16V
October 11th, 2006, 14:07
15.6s is fast indeed!

BigRick
October 11th, 2006, 17:47
Audi RS4 by Sportauto:

Tires:
Pirelli P Zero Corsa
255/35 ZR 19 front/rear

Weight:
1728 kg with full tank
w-distribution: 59,5/40,5 %
PWR: 4,1 kg/PS

Test-Conditions in Hockenheim:
Air-Temp. 13°C
Track Temp. 16°C
Atmospheric pressure 1012 mbar

Skid-Pad: 1,25g

Anybody can explain that 1.25g... I'm a bit skeptical. An Exige can do 0.92g, a 911 turbo achieve 0.95g... Are we sure that the RS4 can do 1.25g?

Edmunds claims 0.90g which seams more on par, no?!

Leadfoot
October 11th, 2006, 19:27
BigRick,

I do know that they quote 1.25g at some of the corners of the ring and this is consistent with other tests by them on other cars also at the ring. Their test of the BMW coupe 335i showed 1.15g on the same corner. So either their equipment was wrong on both occasions or it really is that good.

If possible check out other test they have carried out at the ring and see what their show.:thumb:

BigRick
October 11th, 2006, 19:45
It might be my interpretation but they talk about "skidpad"
Can we even compare skidpad Gs to Track Gs? and if not why don't they say that these are track Gs?

Gustav
October 14th, 2006, 00:58
We noticed that the RS4 could not escape fro mthe M5 E39 as well in this video form this spring:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1100985702671395013&q=rs4+m5

dxben
October 14th, 2006, 02:29
Who cares about some old trodden M5 that is modded and beats the peereless RS4 on an runway tarmac? Who gives a sh1t? Really. The RS4 is something completely different. There are faster cars than the RS4, but none offers the combination of of luxury and performance and not to mention safety. That M5 probably lacks the noise insulation, the safety features that are modern, the AWD, the better interior and functionality (all the kit and kaboodle of NAV etc), and on and on. Its a ridiculous comparison.

BigRick
October 14th, 2006, 03:06
Who cares about some old trodden M5 that is modded and beats the peereless RS4 on an runway tarmac? Who gives a sh1t? Really. The RS4 is something completely different. There are faster cars than the RS4, but none offers the combination of of luxury and performance and not to mention safety. That M5 probably lacks the noise insulation, the safety features that are modern, the AWD, the better interior and functionality (all the kit and kaboodle of NAV etc), and on and on. Its a ridiculous comparison.

I agree so much!

Every time I see one of these comparisons I know it's because they're desperate in finding something that can beat the RS4 :king:

It started when people were comparing the RS4 to the M3 which is probably the closest thing but still hard to compare. Then admitting that the M3 is not up to comparison they started to compare with M5 & M6 (this is even more ridiculous) and now moded M5!!! What's next the Mercedes Benz McLaren SLR... yeah why not!

For me the basic factors to consider when looking for comparison are:
Same price range (within 5-10k would be acceptable in these price ranges I think)
Same "platform" saloons, wagon, convertible, 2 doors, 4 doors (you know what I mean)
Same Number of Seats (usable seats...)
Unmoded (because as soon as you enter this world you can really get nuts!)

So if you can find cars that do fit the comp chart then go ahead and impress us. If you can't find anything that fits then at least make sure you state the differences in your comparison. Unless you just want to make an unfair comparison in which case maybe you should find another board to post it!

KK265
October 14th, 2006, 12:04
We noticed that the RS4 could not escape fro mthe M5 E39 as well in this video form this spring:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1100985702671395013&q=rs4+m5

1.The RS4 had not the normal exhaust but a pattent and you never Mr Gustav told nothing...
2.Are you running with normal gasoline?Because in previous posts last year you told that some cars on the airfield used special gasoline....
3.How sure are we that your car has not other modifications?
Last year you posted a video between M5 E60 and 360 modena and the M5 disappeard..In Greece modena is 2-3 car lenghts behind M5 E 60 until 250km/h which follows 996 turbo (420 PS) with modified exhaust as you saw in my video.From then i do not think that you are 100% reliable.I believe better my eyes...
4.The video above tells nothing because you simply follow a car.Why you did not try to pass him?Is it not for you an RS4 b7 with 3 passengers a slower car?Or in real conditions you simply follow someone who we do not know how fast driver is?
5.Try the same when it is raining please.....
6.Better for you to solve the problems with brakes,vanos,various noises, and differentials you have (E 39 M5) and SMG,steering sensors etc (E 60 M5) and if you have free time then, play on the straight road with RS4 (forget turns for your safety).Because as said your friend Sabine E 34 M5 was the sportiest M5 ( and more reliable i think).
6.Do you know about a video between RS4 b5 and E 39 M5 in Russia in heavy taffic?
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/RS4/1/344d940b-c3dd-4be2-8588-8f0e0f212348.htm
Or this:
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/RS4++m5/0/1aa03093-5c82-4ad4-9cd3-98370156ec55.htm
Perhaps these M5 had not supersprint exhaust....
Cheers from Greece

Leadfoot
October 14th, 2006, 18:22
The test that BMW M5.com do in Sweden are great and I enjoy watching them and look forward to the next. But why only acceleration, why not set up a handling course or is this not done but the new M5/6 are only one trick ponies.:hihi:

We all know that both Beemers are bloody quick in a straight line but lets see them up against these supercars they beat around a twisty track. If they put up as good a show then we will have more respected for them.

Gustav
December 15th, 2006, 22:10
Well I did not because I did not know. It is up to any RS4 driver to mod his car, I did not tell him to do that.

We all fuelded up at the same gas statio:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4261174814350740828&q=m5board

3. Where was this video? I don't know what you are refeerign to, I have never myselfed raced a 360 in the E60 M5.

4. I showed that he could not outrun me.

5. No thanks :)

6. I dont have any problems so far. That video it was a M5 vs a 600 HP MTM RS4 so no sprurpise he was faster...

Yes, the E39 M5 is faster than the new RS4 :)

1.The RS4 had not the normal exhaust but a pattent and you never Mr Gustav told nothing...
2.Are you running with normal gasoline?Because in previous posts last year you told that some cars on the airfield used special gasoline....
3.How sure are we that your car has not other modifications?
Last year you posted a video between M5 E60 and 360 modena and the M5 disappeard..In Greece modena is 2-3 car lenghts behind M5 E 60 until 250km/h which follows 996 turbo (420 PS) with modified exhaust as you saw in my video.From then i do not think that you are 100% reliable.I believe better my eyes...
4.The video above tells nothing because you simply follow a car.Why you did not try to pass him?Is it not for you an RS4 b7 with 3 passengers a slower car?Or in real conditions you simply follow someone who we do not know how fast driver is?
5.Try the same when it is raining please.....
6.Better for you to solve the problems with brakes,vanos,various noises, and differentials you have (E 39 M5) and SMG,steering sensors etc (E 60 M5) and if you have free time then, play on the straight road with RS4 (forget turns for your safety).Because as said your friend Sabine E 34 M5 was the sportiest M5 ( and more reliable i think).
6.Do you know about a video between RS4 b5 and E 39 M5 in Russia in heavy taffic?
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/RS4/1/344d940b-c3dd-4be2-8588-8f0e0f212348.htm
Or this:
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/RS4++m5/0/1aa03093-5c82-4ad4-9cd3-98370156ec55.htm
Perhaps these M5 had not supersprint exhaust....
Cheers from Greece

Gustav
December 15th, 2006, 22:11
Thanks!

Since this elimanates drivers error. We cn do handlign on any IKEA parking spot we like :hihi:

The test that BMW M5.com do in Sweden are great and I enjoy watching them and look forward to the next. But why only acceleration, why not set up a handling course or is this not done but the new M5/6 are only one trick ponies.:hihi:

We all know that both Beemers are bloody quick in a straight line but lets see them up against these supercars they beat around a twisty track. If they put up as good a show then we will have more respected for them.

Cale24
December 16th, 2006, 23:41
I'd love to see a straight foward shoot out with an E39 & E60 M5 against an RS4 in one video, all STOCK, for interests sake alone. I'd expect the E60 to obviously pull away slowly (maybe more as speed gains- 4WD Audi w/ less torque vs low-drag BMW V10). I'd expect the RS4 to leave the E39 standing at the gates, with that cars torque MAYBE pulling back some time over a great distance (by which point the RS4 would have crossed all meaningful finish lines anyway).

E39 = 236 bhp /ton
E60 = 278 bhp/ton (jeez)
RS4 = 256 bhp/ton

As for track times, the RS4 has won against these BMWs in most comparisons I've seen (Nurburgring, Evo magazine test track times, Top Gear > RS4 laps it in 1:25.6 ; E60 M5 1:26.2, etc)

I know these facts off hand because I torment my M-fanatic buddies with them all the time. Sooner or later they fall back on the E92 M3 (itself delayed due to three likely reasons: R S 4) as defence. Then I think toward the RS5, RS6 (to really flatten that M5) and the newly launched R8. The wars go on and on.
That all said, I have huge respect for BMWs engineering- they produce some great cars.