PDA

View Full Version : Just saw the new S6

m3fan
September 30th, 2006, 22:02
I saw the new S6 about 2 hours ago. A family was test driving, and it's looks sweet. It was sliver.

India Whiskey Charlie
October 1st, 2006, 00:06
I saw a black one at the dealer a couple days ago. Very sweet car. I am hoping to hear some feedback from buyers soon.

Ruergard
October 1st, 2006, 10:40
Nice!

They look very, very nice! The seats are awesome! :bow:

LONE WOLF
October 3rd, 2006, 22:55
Very Nice Car !

AndyBG
October 4th, 2006, 22:36
S6 is very good looking car...

I like it very much.

noushy
October 4th, 2006, 23:19
The S6 is now just arriving at dealerships. Not sure what the hold up was but mine got two that were delivered. The S8s are also coming, they delivered two of those as well. Supposedly Audi was holding them at the dock. Not to crazy about the S6, looks too much like a 4.2.

Noushy

AndyBG
October 4th, 2006, 23:41
. Not to crazy about the S6, looks too much like a 4.2

I have to disagrie, there is diference, specialy at the front...

India Whiskey Charlie
October 4th, 2006, 23:56
The S6 looks like an A6 4.2 as much as the S8 looks like an A8 4.2. Having said that, I think the differences are subtle but enough for me to tell it's not the plain vanilla. I am pretty sure the RS version will be even more different looking.

On another note, there is an interesting write-up on a few high performance cars on AudiWorld. It includes some S6 impressions.

http://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/21927.phtml

m3fan
October 5th, 2006, 17:11
You'd have to be a fan to know the difference between the S6 an 4.2. But I think the S6 looks good minus the wheels. The RS6 will become the sport sedan king when it comes out.

G-Man
October 8th, 2006, 00:31
I am getting mine delivered shortly. Have owned BMW m3 convert, 750i, and this is my first Audi. I was about to take down an M5, but was persuaded by a friend from London who said get the RS6. Well, I didn't want a 2003 RS6, and didn't want to wait 1? 2? 3? years (who knows), so decided to go for the S6 in the meantime. I'll let you know how it goes!

Leadfoot
October 8th, 2006, 10:30
Does anyone know why the S6 isn't being offered with the option of air suspension or for that matter magnetic ride both options would cure it's harsh ride, because apart from that the car is an impressive piece of kit and a better all round package than the M5, regardless of it's extra performance.

What is it with Audi, they get the S8 and RS4 to ride well and handle amazingly with testing in other parts of the world other than central Europe but they seem to have back tracked with the S6 and TT (normal suspension). When VW can get it right why do we have to settle with second rate ride quality, it's obvious that quality is very important to Audi when you look at their fit and finish.

Come on Audi, you school report reads :deal: a promising pupil that could do better:nono:

jjdnyc
October 8th, 2006, 19:35
Very tempted. Drove a black on grey leather with CF trim. Fabulous engine note, buckets of grunt, handling WAY in excess of anything I will ever need. All in all a very sweet car. And I was ready to hate the ride quality but I had trouble producing the kind of jarring I had read about. (I suspect this is partly because I am currently driving an M3 convert on 19" rims. Now THAT is a harsh ride. The S6 felt like a Rolls by comparison). The recaro seats are a bit "boy racer" but they are very very comfortable. Stereo not bad but no B&O option.

Cons: the car looks ok. Not great. The LEDs are very cool but the chrome trim isnt to my taste. Overall the message is "understated" - and yes I know thats the whole point. Its maybe just a bit too sedate? And, the interior is in my view not close to the M5. The "Al look" trim around the MMI screen and speedo etc looks very cheap, the roof liner is straight out of the Passat, the switch gear etc are all very pedestrian. It does not feel as luxurious as it should for $80k (the cars I saw did not have the upgraded leather dash that I have heard is an option). Perhaps the biggest disappointment is the steering wheel - it is so thin. After an M3 or M5 it is a let down - just a regular A6 wheel with stitching.

So I don't know. I love the torque, I love the exhaust and I like the stealth factor (I think). But it seems to me that Audi has deliberatley down spec'd the car to preserve S8 sales. For $10k more the M5 is hard to pass up. But, am I missing something? Would love to hear others' impressions.

Oh, and I sat in a sold S8. Wow. Awesome. A big difference. But, it feels like a MUCH bigger car to sit in. The S6 would be perfect if it had the S8 level of finish and a few more HP.

JD

India Whiskey Charlie
October 8th, 2006, 20:22
Very tempted. Drove a black on grey leather with CF trim. Fabulous engine note, buckets of grunt, handling WAY in excess of anything I will ever need. All in all a very sweet car. And I was ready to hate the ride quality but I had trouble producing the kind of jarring I had read about. (I suspect this is partly because I am currently driving an M3 convert on 19" rims. Now THAT is a harsh ride. The S6 felt like a Rolls by comparison). The recaro seats are a bit "boy racer" but they are very very comfortable. Stereo not bad but no B&O option.

Cons: the car looks ok. Not great. The LEDs are very cool but the chrome trim isnt to my taste. Overall the message is "understated" - and yes I know thats the whole point. Its maybe just a bit too sedate? And, the interior is in my view not close to the M5. The "Al look" trim around the MMI screen and speedo etc looks very cheap, the roof liner is straight out of the Passat, the switch gear etc are all very pedestrian. It does not feel as luxurious as it should for $80k (the cars I saw did not have the upgraded leather dash that I have heard is an option). Perhaps the biggest disappointment is the steering wheel - it is so thin. After an M3 or M5 it is a let down - just a regular A6 wheel with stitching.

So I don't know. I love the torque, I love the exhaust and I like the stealth factor (I think). But it seems to me that Audi has deliberatley down spec'd the car to preserve S8 sales. For $10k more the M5 is hard to pass up. But, am I missing something? Would love to hear others' impressions.

Oh, and I sat in a sold S8. Wow. Awesome. A big difference. But, it feels like a MUCH bigger car to sit in. The S6 would be perfect if it had the S8 level of finish and a few more HP.
That's interesting. While I haven't driven one, I carefully checked one out at the dealer. This one was black on black and the interior looked far superior to anything this side of $80k. Light colored interiors do tend to look cheap. That applies to any BMW as well. All other interior details were very Audi-like and top notch. I don't remember if this car had the upgraded leather dash, but all it is is the left side instrument cluster top cover. The passenger side dash stays the same. I agree that the S8 is more appealing, but its base price is also $20k more. You basically get an aluminum chassis and 15 more horses. A well equipped one could easily go for more than $100k plus tax and license. I suggest that you give yourself a chance to examine another S6 with a dark interior. I am pretty sure you'll like it better.

Leadfoot
October 8th, 2006, 21:12
jjdnyc,

All I can say is that on the UK backroads the ride quality is not great and in no way up to the standards of either the RS4 or S8. This might be down to the fact that they were tested on these roads but the same comment I have for the S6 apply to the TT with normal suspension. The ride quality though better than before is very bouncy on a bad surface up to the point when you lift out of your seat.

Check out the S6 on a similar surface and you will see what I mean, but other than that the car is great. And easily the better all rounder than the M5. I take it State-side you mostly lease your cars?

jjdnyc
October 8th, 2006, 21:43
Viken

As to the interior, it was not the seats (or the light color) that is the issue. And there is nothing "wrong" with the interior. There is just nothing special about it. To me, the dash materials, roof liner, vents etc don't feel any different to those in an entry level A4. Again, for $80k...

When you get in an M5 (or even a 530i for that matter), as soon as you put the key in the ignition (or enter the car with the CA fob in your pocket) the steering wheel moves into place, the seats move and then inflate slightly, there is a discreet chime... You reallly feel like you are in a special car. In the M5 you can spec the car with a leather dash, alacantra roof, head up display, active seats... yes they cost money but they are not even an option in the S6. Until I punched the throttle, I did not feel like I was in a "special" car (though it did feel special when I lit it up). Out of the lot I did not think "special" but rather thought: "spindly steering wheel, too much assist"...

I would have no problem with this level of trim in an S4. In fact, I think for the money the S4 is a helluva car. If the S6 was in the $65k range, again no problems. But the car I drove was going to be + $80k with taxes.

Leadfoot, as to the ride, I hear you. Sounds like you have driven the car and experienced the ride probs. Its just, I did not feel it - then again I was only in the car for 15 minutes, driving it pretty hard through the corners. I am shocked to hear you say you think the ride is better in an RS4 than in the S6?? My brother has a 2004 S4 and I think the ride in that is worse than the S6. I had thought the RS4 was even worse again?

Anyway, having said that I think Audi shortchanged the S6 somewhat (and deliberately IMO), I may indeed get an S6 instead of an M5. I am REALLY put off by the lack of range on the M5. Would drive me nuts. And, I like the all weather capabilitles of the S6. And it sounds a lot better than the M5 (until the M5 get above 5,000 rpm when it sounds pretty good too). And living in NY the S6 may have more "relevant" performance given the lower end torque and the quattro. Sure the M5 will crush it over 100mph, but that simply doesn't matter to me.

:vhmmm:

ps - to answer your question, I bought my M3. I may do a 24 month lease on an S6. Rates not great but I am worried about resale if they don't bring too many in and then hit the market with an RS6...

JD

India Whiskey Charlie
October 9th, 2006, 00:15
As to the interior, it was not the seats (or the light color) that is the issue. And there is nothing "wrong" with the interior. There is just nothing special about it. To me, the dash materials, roof liner, vents etc don't feel any different to those in an entry level A4. Again, for $80k...

When you get in an M5 (or even a 530i for that matter), as soon as you put the key in the ignition (or enter the car with the CA fob in your pocket) the steering wheel moves into place, the seats move and then inflate slightly, there is a discreet chime... You reallly feel like you are in a special car. In the M5 you can spec the car with a leather dash, alacantra roof, head up display, active seats... yes they cost money but they are not even an option in the S6. Until I punched the throttle, I did not feel like I was in a "special" car (though it did feel special when I lit it up). Out of the lot I did not think "special" but rather thought: "spindly steering wheel, too much assist"...

I would have no problem with this level of trim in an S4. In fact, I think for the money the S4 is a helluva car. If the S6 was in the $65k range, again no problems. But the car I drove was going to be + $80k with taxes.
I hear you and understand where you're coming from. Has BMW worked out the electrical problems that plagued the E39? I had two 540i's (1998 & 2001) in a row and they were a nightmare. Among many problems, the electronic module that controls the steering wheel and seats failed on both cars several times. Hopefully, the E60 doesn't suffer from these problems. Does the S6 not offer an electrically controlled steering wheel and seats that adjust to your preferred positions? I'd be surprised if it does not.

I know what you mean regarding the S4. I have a 2004 Tip that I love (leased after the 2001 540i). In all 29k miles, I've only taken it in for scheduled maintenance. Next month, I am getting an RS4 (not to replace the S4) and hope it's as reliable. The S4 Tip comes off a 3-year lease in August 2007 and that's when I'll need a replacement with an automatic transmission. At this time, the S6 is the strongest contender. I've attached an S6 order guide and a retail price list for those who are interested.

irondad
October 9th, 2006, 03:19
Again, S6's being treated as Audi's step children, oh well, it's RS6.com after all.
Since we are talking about looks, I don't think there is anything special about the looks of an RS6, it looks like an A6 4.2 with a diffrent grill, different wheels and a spoiler, so let's not put the new S6 down on looks until after we drive it, after all that's what makes the RS6 different insn't it?:bye2: :nana:

Leadfoot
October 9th, 2006, 09:44
Viken

Leadfoot, as to the ride, I hear you. Sounds like you have driven the car and experienced the ride probs. Its just, I did not feel it - then again I was only in the car for 15 minutes, driving it pretty hard through the corners. I am shocked to hear you say you think the ride is better in an RS4 than in the S6?? My brother has a 2004 S4 and I think the ride in that is worse than the S6. I had thought the RS4 was even worse again?
JD

Viken,

As I own a S4 2004, I know how bad the ride quality is and your right it bloody awful. But the RS4's suspension system is totally different, it uses DRC which stopped tilting into corners so the suspension can be set-up much softer while still providing better cornering.:thumb:

jjdnyc
October 9th, 2006, 14:13
Viken,

As I own a S4 2004, I know how bad the ride quality is and your right it bloody awful. But the RS4's suspension system is totally different, it uses DRC which stopped tilting into corners so the suspension can be set-up much softer while still providing better cornering.:thumb:

I think that one was meant for me, but thanks for explaining. That has me wondering whether I should test drive an RS4... :confused:

India Whiskey Charlie
October 9th, 2006, 16:01
I think that one was meant for me, but thanks for explaining. That has me wondering whether I should test drive an RS4... :confused:
Yes, I believe so. However, let me say that Leadfoot has much worse roads than we do. At least worse than in So Cal, if not NY. I find the ride in my S4 firm on most smoother roads and borderline harsh on bumpy roads. It has improved considerably since installing Michelin PS2 tires as these have a relatively softer sidewalls. Although a smoother ride would be welcome, I can't complain about the one in my S4.

m3fan
October 10th, 2006, 17:21
I saw the silver S6 again at Border's. I knew what it was right when I saw it.

SoCal
October 17th, 2006, 08:56
I test drove a new S6 recently and was pleasantly surprised, after all the mixed reviews I've read, to find it a marvelous car. It is definitely a technological improvement over the last generation S6/RS6.

Initial impressions:

Handling was quite solid, tight and controlled. Not a sports car for sure, but excellent for a heavy four door sedan. Predictable on turns, easy to push hard and also readily reigned in. Very versatile car as a daily driver that is more than capable for sudden punches of that super smooth V10. Of course, it is no RS6, nor is it trying to be.

High points are the engine and transmission. Effortless, smooth access to speed. Good enough acceleration (more than most people will need in daily city driving) though certainly no massive torque like on my RS6. (Can't wait for the new RS6 to come out; that should be a monster). Throttle response on the S6 is immediate and strong, partly due I suspect to FSI as well as new ECU programming. And the S6 tranny offers super smooth shifts even in Sport mode (new 6 speed is sweet) and less lag when using paddle shifters to downshift. In both areas, the car is a vast improvement over the last generation and even (but not for raw acceleration or visceral punch) over the RS6.

Brake feel on the S6 is a little too light, and stops were dependable but nothing special. I didn't get a chance to drive it hard enough to measure fade over time.

On the whole, I was impressed by the suspension. Felt rock solid. On turns and when braking, the S6 had a bit more pitch and roll than I like, even though I couldn't it push anywhere remotely close to the limit where I was testing it. Thicker anti-sway bars might fix that. I did not find the suspension to be too rough, though, as others have. In fact, expecting a harsh ride, I was amazed at how the suspension balanced comfort with taut control and structural rigidity. Suitably comfortable on Southern California roads, which aren't always the smoothest, the S6 absorbed the bumps just fine without skipping and without jarring the passengers unduly. And it was stiff enough to have good road feel.

Interior was well appointed, though again not in the same class as the S8. More modern than the last generation A6/RS6 and more attractive and ergonomic than the M5. The sport seats in the S6 were very comfortable and well bolstered, and a big improvement over seats in older models and over the current A6. IMHO the leather dash cover (optional) is a must for the S6; it adds sportiness and elegance at the same time with sharp looking contrasting stitching. Leather cover on shifter (standard) also looks cool, more like a stick. As I get used to the I-drive controls, they are pretty intuitive. Not as easy to master as the Japanese carmakers' control panels, but light years ahead of MB and BMW in user-friendliness.

Exterior styling is subjective. The looks of the S6 are ok, and growing on me, though I'm not a huge fan of the new 6 body style and there could have been more differentiation between the S6 and the A6. The A8/S8 is a much more elegant, sophisticated design.

What would I change? Not much. Just the styling (which is not up to the standard set by the S8 or even the S4), steering (needs a little less boost and more feedback, though it's way better than most Audis in this dept), exhaust note (needs more rumble and roar, like the RS6 and S8), headliner (why no Alcantara option?), and radio (if you want a B&O option, gotta spring for the A8/S8).

In short, the S6 was very solid, well planted, easy to toss around for its size, reasonably quick and comfortable. Unlike the RS6 (a fast, refined muscle car), which has too much engine at times for the way it handles, a sometimes erratic suspension, lousy seats (in the US) and a clunky (though well programmed) transmission, the S6 felt more unified in its character. Everything fit together like integral parts of a whole, with consistency and impressive feedback. In a word: balanced. Not extreme in any area -- a compromise in the best sense of the word. The S6 cannot compare to the S8 in terms of luxury, aesthetics or comfort as a GT cruiser, but it also costs about $20k less and fits more easily in the garage.

If you want flat out speed, performance and rarity, get a used RS6, not a new S6. If you want a more modern, better balanced car, and don't want the size and cost of the S8, then the new S6 is the car to get. More fun than I expected, and compared to the analogous Bimmers and Benzes, it's a fair value with all of the quality and stealthy performance one wants from an Audi. Really a great all-around car.

AndyBG
October 17th, 2006, 12:25
Would you ''swap'' RS 6 for it?

Benman
October 17th, 2006, 16:34
If you want flat out speed, performance and rarity, get a used RS6, not a new S6. If you want a more modern, better balanced car, and don't want the size and cost of the S8, then the new S6 is the car to get. More fun than I expected, and compared to the analogous Bimmers and Benzes, it's a fair value with all of the quality and stealthy performance one wants from an Audi. Really a great all-around car.

Great review. :thumb:

Last paragraph sums it up nicely. I think this cements it for me. The S6 will be a great car for those that don't already have a :rs6kiss: It is only my opinion, but I'd wager that RS 6 owners who go for the new S6, will miss the raw power of the V8TT. Sure, they'll have more refinement, but they'll want their cake and eat it too. :D

Ben:addict:

SoCal
October 17th, 2006, 22:08
Ben, I agree.

Andy, in answer to your query, no personally I wouldn't swap my RS6 for new S6. They are pretty different cars and would attract a different buyer, I think. I could see adding an S6 as a second family car, though, since it's a lot better than most of the other new alternatives in that size/price range.

AndyBG
October 18th, 2006, 15:47
All in all, it's not bad car...

Hope, you agree...?

chutia
October 22nd, 2006, 07:21
I drove the new S6 recently; if anyone is interested, I would be glad to document my observations.

Toto89
October 22nd, 2006, 15:34
Of course we are interested:thumb:

noushy
October 22nd, 2006, 15:49
I am definetely interested, more so from a RS6 owner. I think what the S6 does give us is some insight into the overall character of the next RS6. I happened to own an S6 Avant and then purchased the RS6 as well. The S6 had similar chassis stance, tire width, and interior with seating. Granted the RS6 drives much flatter, the engine is way different, and the steering had more feel and weight. But the trans was not that different, and everyday practicality was the same (other than the avant/sedan differences). I think the S6 since it serves as the building block for the RS6, it gives us some thing to base our decision on. I am really upset at Audi that it takes them so long to release a RS6. I believe that the car is far better engineered than the M5 or the E63/CLS63. But those cars are readily available and typically updated much quicker than Audi RS cars. This is the dilemna that we face. Now if anyone knows if the new RS6 will be available in the states in 2008 is the answer I really want to know. ;) (can adjust my lease for the new car)

Noushy