PDA

View Full Version : My RS6 goes in on monday...

Dave
April 9th, 2003, 16:33
My beloved RS6 goes in for the ABT treatment on Monday.. it's a four day job.. should come out with 505bhp and 630Nm... :D

Now I've made the commitment I'm really excited about it.. it's like having a new car on order.. I can see why you guys get addicted

I'll have a play for a month or two make sure it beds down Ok and then I'll have the exhasut changed which should be good for another 20bhp
:bigeyes:

jfrocke
April 9th, 2003, 20:40
What does this do to the factory warranty?

Benman
April 10th, 2003, 01:06
Originally posted by jfrocke
What does this do to the factory warranty?

i think it goes out the window:hihi:

ben:addict:

Dave
April 10th, 2003, 08:28
No.. the Abt chip leaves your warranty intact:trans:

MichaelJP
April 10th, 2003, 08:56
Dave, are you just having the ABT chip? If so 4 days seems a long time:)

How many weeks/miles did you do in the car before deciding to up the power? I ask because I've only just got my RS6 and the power/torque still seems awesome to me.

Are there any known disadvantages to chipping the RS6 e.g. fuel consumption halving? Not really about the money but the already short range would suffer.

Thanks,
- MichaelJP

Erik
April 10th, 2003, 09:28
Originally posted by MichaelJP
Not really about the money but the already short range would suffer.

It's all depending on how you drive.
The car will become even more Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
If you drive it nice and soft consumption should go down but we all know how hard that is.
On longer trips like highway with the speed set you can expect a lower consumption. In the city accelerating from red light to the next. I don't think so...

The RS6 that was chipped yesterday (will tell you more) had about the same consumption as my chipped 2.7T doing about 130 km/h.

Jetset
April 10th, 2003, 10:29
My MTM chipped allroad biturbo(326 hp) has almost same consuption figures as the regular one. Iīve had it for one year now and it runs perfectly..! MTM gives one year guarantee for all "chipps".
Iīve also 1.8 T A3 which has 245 hp by MTM, and itīs just perfect. Itīs much faster than S3. (0-100 about 6 s.)

On the other hand, as an advice to all who are gonna chipp their cars: There is a limit in thge engines, it really can be fixed but it should be moderate.

Yours,

Jetset

Dave
April 10th, 2003, 10:35
Originally posted by MichaelJP
Dave, are you just having the ABT chip? If so 4 days seems a long time:)

How many weeks/miles did you do in the car before deciding to up the power? I ask because I've only just got my RS6 and the power/torque still seems awesome to me.

Are there any known disadvantages to chipping the RS6 e.g. fuel consumption halving? Not really about the money but the already short range would suffer.

Thanks,
- MichaelJP

Yes.. 4 days.. It's beacuse the ECu is shipped to Abt in germany and then shipped back to the Uk. It's all to do with keeping the warranty intact. Quattro GMbH have a deal with Abt where they look after the warranty.. hence the wrok has to be done in germany.

Fuel economy... yes.. I do expect a drop, but the engine whould be working less hard on a long trip so it's not too uncommon to see better mpg as erik says.

Cheers
Dave
PS.. A mate called BarryRS6 had his done and he saw 185mph easily :bye:

MichaelJP
April 10th, 2003, 11:30
Thanks, Dave - it's nice to know that when I get bored of the stock power there's an easy way of getting an upgrade!

During the 4 days you should drive an A6 1.8 so that you'll really "feel the benefit" when you get yours back:)

- MichaelJP

Dave
April 10th, 2003, 11:35
LOL.. mate , my wife has a 1.8 zaferia :trash:

A quick drive of that and everything is put in perspective :D

Erik
April 10th, 2003, 15:17
Dave, I drove an RS6 Avant quite a few times yesterday with a G-Tech to get 0 - 100 km/h and 402 m values before and after chipping.
Don't expect the performance 0 - 100 km/h to change dramatically. I think - without checking - Abt is quoting 4.2 secs something but I think that is too much to hope for.
402 meters - or the quarter mile - is a different story.
Expect a 'lowish to midish' 12 second run but the real difference would probably be in the intervals like 70 - 120 km/h, 100 - 200 km/h etc. Unfortunately I have no measurements of that.
It started snowing when we were going back home so 130 km/h felt just enough on the highway with summer tires.

The Hohenester chip will give 500 hp and about 680-690 Nm.
I had the test computer in my hands and I can assure you the figures are correct.

Overtaking a lorry. No problem, 2 - 3 seconds later and your in front instead of behind. :eek:

Dave
April 10th, 2003, 15:29
Yes mate,

I totally agree with you.. it's going to be more mid range grunt than off the line stuff.

The biggest restrictor for 0 to 60 times is the gearbox.. it has a torque convertor and that is always going to ruin the time to save the clutch.. it's not like a manual where you can just dump the clutch.

The speed limiter is also taken off the car and a couple of people have seen 190mph from them. (it's a heavy car and I would hate to see how long it would take to stop from that sort of speed) :eek:

I'll give you all a report on my finding at the end of next week

Cheers
Dave

Dave
April 10th, 2003, 15:30
Oh and before that I will be going AMG baiting :D