PDA

View Full Version : What too look for in used B5 S4's?

Skaala
September 23rd, 2006, 15:11
I have given up the idea of an RS2, because I can't get it insured in Bergen. So I've looked around for used S4's, and I don't know much about this one. What should I ask the owners about? What are common problems? What are the NO NO milage limit. How reliable are they? (driving over the mountains in Norway at wintertime you need a reliable car...)

thanks in advance
skaala:s4addict:

Kram
September 23rd, 2006, 16:06
You can try this : http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1407640.phtml

There you will know the comum problems and then what to search.

Here is the best guide on improving it: http://homepage.mac.com/edyjun1/S4/index.htm

:s4addict: :cheers:

alex_s3
September 25th, 2006, 17:54
I think the turbos make a "whissling" sound befor they blow..
It happand to my dads.. :cry:

I also think you have to change register reim (timing belt?) around 120k km, it cost around 10.000 Kr..

Skaala
September 25th, 2006, 18:33
I think the turbos make a "whissling" sound befor they blow..
It happand to my dads.. :cry:

I also think you have to change register reim (timing belt?) around 120k km, it cost around 10.000 Kr..

Most S4's over 120k km's have had their timing chain replaced. Many of them have new turbos as well. I am only looking at S4's with new turbos and a replaced timing chain.

Benman
September 25th, 2006, 20:47
Most S4's over 120k km's have had their timing chain replaced. Many of them have new turbos as well. I am only looking at S4's with new turbos and a replaced timing chain.

Too bad you're out of my range...

Because of the new track "toy" I bought, I will be selling my red B5 S4. 98K miles, brand new timing belt (at 93K) and was completely stock when I bought it. Now has GIAC upgrade, full ceramic clutch, rear RS 4 engine mounts (also have front RS 4 mounts but did not have the time to install them), short shifter, aluminum flywheel, H-Sport sways, AWE DTS bar...

Ben:addict:

Skaala
September 25th, 2006, 21:39
Too bad you're out of my range...

Because of the new track "toy" I bought, I will be selling my red B5 S4. 98K miles, brand new timing belt (at 93K) and was completely stock when I bought it. Now has GIAC upgrade, full ceramic clutch, rear RS 4 engine mounts (also have front RS 4 mounts but did not have the time to install them), short shifter, aluminum flywheel, H-Sport sways, AWE DTS bar...

Ben:addict:

I think the shipping from the US to Norway, and customs tax, could have gotten me another car as well:rolleyes: