Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: D4 S8, not that thread is necessary...

D4 S8, not that thread is necessary...

...as there is plenty of consistent data online to support my opinion. After 9 months of ownership, I LOVE THIS CAR. I wanted one when they first came out, which I think is about the time I bailed on my RS6, but $120k is stupid for a car, so I found a few substitutes until the prices were here on this planet. At the risk of a long boring read, I paid $42k with about 70k on it, I bought DP's on Ebay from the Russians, got a custom tune from a local guy and on pump it made 595/695 at the wheels. It runs awesome...and before everyone starts ragging on me about pics, it's an Audi, they all look the same...just google 2013 Audi S8...mine is phantom black with a black gut, carbon and the B&O.

Relatively the same exclusivity as the RS6 (obviously they made more of these), but expensive to maintain unless you are handy, and parts CAN be expensive, but we all know where to buy parts now. After a month of ownership, I had a lean code, that turned out to be the PCV box, Very common, but also very easy to fix. Spent about $500 on parts and took me about 3-4 hours to fix it (Audi calls for 10hrs).
    The point of this, as I've seen some comments from time to time, if you are interested in one, just go buy one, you won't regret it.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    ...as there is plenty of consistent data online to support my opinion. After 9 months of ownership, I LOVE THIS CAR. I wanted one when they first came out, which I think is about the time I bailed on my RS6, but $120k is stupid for a car, so I found a few substitutes until the prices were here on this planet. At the risk of a long boring read, I paid $42k with about 70k on it, I bought DP's on Ebay from the Russians, got a custom tune from a local guy and on pump it made 595/695 at the wheels. It runs awesome...and before everyone starts ragging on me about pics, it's an Audi, they all look the same...just google 2013 Audi S8...mine is phantom black with a black gut, carbon and the B&O.

Relatively the same exclusivity as the RS6 (obviously they made more of these), but expensive to maintain unless you are handy, and parts CAN be expensive, but we all know where to buy parts now. After a month of ownership, I had a lean code, that turned out to be the PCV box, Very common, but also very easy to fix. Spent about $500 on parts and took me about 3-4 hours to fix it (Audi calls for 10hrs).
    The point of this, as I've seen some comments from time to time, if you are interested in one, just go buy one, you won't regret it.
    Again, I second this. $45k with 39000 miles. Got a 4 year extended warranty and a Stage 1 tune. I’m not doing DPs because Massachusetts. APR claims 667 at the crank with stage one. This thing is like an aircraft carrier catapult. Smooth, fast, incredible interior.

It's on my short list as well. When I worked for Audi, these were my favorite cars to work on. S6s aren't bad either, but the S8s have the far better interior.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Please stop making me want another car.

https://porsche.niello.com/details?i...939U&id=115018

Quote Originally Posted by kruat View Post
    It's on my short list as well. When I worked for Audi, these were my favorite cars to work on. S6s aren't bad either, but the S8s have the far better interior.
    I considered the S6, RS7 and the S8. The interior was a lot of the deciding factor for me. I’m more interested in the part that I have to see all the time rather than the outside that others see. I thought it was interesting too that stock dyno results for the S8 are way higher than the factory claim of 520hp. If you are considering one go watch YouTube videos and you will be convinced.

^^^Agreed. Most D4 S8 dynos I've seen are around 450-475awhp, which mine was as well, which if you account for 18-20%DL loss, that's around 560-580crank or so...not 520 they claim. And I don't mind a bigger car, even thought he S8 drives like a smaller car to me...but it's all about the interior and creature comforts...

When I bought it, I drove to Atco with the heated massaging seas on, and ran 11.8 at 117 twice, and drove home with the cooled massaging seats on...and plan to do it again soon, now that I am Stage 2.
    2013 Audi S8

The D4 S8 is a sweet ride, for sure.

There's one thing that has prevented me from considering it as my next ride - the lack of a folding rear seatback. May not seem important to some, but I use this feature and the extra cargo capacity it provides regularly, and it would be a bummer not having it.

There's no question that the 4.0TT is underrated in ALL of its applications - any number of dyno tests plus all of the performance figures back this up.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    The D4 S8 is a sweet ride, for sure.

There's one thing that has prevented me from considering it as my next ride - the lack of a folding rear seatback. May not seem important to some, but I use this feature and the extra cargo capacity it provides regularly, and it would be a bummer not having it.

There's no question that the 4.0TT is underrated in ALL of its applications - any number of dyno tests plus all of the performance figures back this up.
    I couldn’t agree more. I ski solo quite often so I was disappointed when I realized the seat didn’t fold and my car doesn’t have a ski pass through. It wouldn’t have stopped me from getting it but now I need to buy a ski rack because I don’t honk my skis will fit in the trunk and I don’t like laying them on a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    I couldn’t agree more. I ski solo quite often so I was disappointed when I realized the seat didn’t fold and my car doesn’t have a ski pass through. It wouldn’t have stopped me from getting it but now I need to buy a ski rack because I don’t honk my skis will fit in the trunk and I don’t like laying them on a seat.
    I was told by an Audi rep that there are electronics mounted on the bulkhead between the back seat and the trunk, so a fold-down seat isn't possible. Not sure about whether a ski pass-through is/was available, though that's also something that I've used frequently on all of my Audis...

Wait, my car has a trunk?
    2013 Audi S8

Scooby doobie doo

Lowered via vag

APR tomorrow

drag strip on friday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3010.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	18821

You will learn very quickly that you no longer have a need for all of those RS6's, nostalgia be damned....
    2013 Audi S8

I've sold two RS6s in the two months.

The S8 now has full APR suite with switching maps.

Oh my Nellie! Hold on to your shorts....you almost can't drive this car in sport mode around town. I also disabled cylinder deactivation. Keep the globe green....drive your 700hp twin turbo V-8 with its nuts where they need to be. Doh
    Last edited by DHall1; April 23rd, 2019 at 04:41.

Wow... I had no idea those S8s were producing so much power with some simple mods.

oh they don't...they're VERY hard to make fast and VERY expensive...do not buy one...(you're welcome)
    2013 Audi S8

Hehe...you sound like a politician tt

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Hehe...you sound like a politician tt
    Nope...just trying to do the right thing...and keep someone from making the same mistake you and I did...
    2013 Audi S8

4.0tt is notorious for misfire issues & a bunch of other troubles.
    I'm yet to see one, that actually makes 700hp on dyno. I've seen a few, all of them struggled to get above 650-660. Even though they should be well capable of more.

EDIT: even though they're crazy fast even at 650.