Thread: Need MacGyver suggestions to keep glovebox in place.

Need MacGyver suggestions to keep glovebox in place.

After a lot of hard jolts from bad pavement, my glovebox dropped, attached only on the end by the passenger side. The pics show how the plastic (plastic!) parts where the bolts from the glovebox attach have broken off, and there does not appear to be any easy fix to this. I can pop it back into place but it is not secure, and can be pulled down easily. A search here and on the internet was no help. Anybody have any ideas, especially if you ran into this? In the meantime, I have to prop up the glovebox to prevent it from dropping with the next hard jolt while driving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glovebox.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	18964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glovebox2.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	18965
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    After a lot of hard jolts from bad pavement, my glovebox dropped, attached only on the end by the passenger side. The pics show how the plastic (plastic!) parts where the bolts from the glovebox attach have broken off, and there does not appear to be any easy fix to this. I can pop it back into place but it is not secure, and can be pulled down easily. A search here and on the internet was no help. Anybody have any ideas, especially if you ran into this? In the meantime, I have to prop up the glovebox to prevent it from dropping with the next hard jolt while driving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glovebox.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	18964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glovebox2.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	18965
    I had a problem with the brittle plastic that held the metal attachment points behind the glovebox breaking. The plastic would break, leaving no place to attach the little metal screw hole pieces which left me with no place to screw the glovebox back into. I ended up using a product called "sugru" to hold those little metal pieces in their proper place. They call sugru a moldable glue and it sticks to most anything is flexible but holds it shape. Get more than you think you night need; the little packets of sugru are pretty small. I molded up a glob, squeezed a bunch around both side of the broken plastic tab and did my best to place the little metal squares you screw the glovebox into where they were originally hanging and left it for 24 hours while it sets up. Next day I screwed glovebox back in. It helps to have a second set of hands supporting the weight of the glovebox while reattaching as it helps to have it aligned to get the screws in and keeps the glovebox's weight from pulling anything loose again.

It seems to have worked although I can tell the glovebox is no longer perfectly squared up anymore but I doubt a passenger would notice. The gap seems a little bigger on the right but it stays in place. It was a real pain to get everything back together.

Many thanks for that suggestion. I am surprised that more folks haven't encountered this. I'll give it a shot!
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

I actually just fixed mine for the same reason... I used 22” of 3/4 inch wide aluminum, bent both ends to attach the side and riveted it on (yes you have to drill to attach the aluminum to the car). Use a drill to drill the holes and then either reuse the clips or install rivnuts... worked well. I didn’t take any photos but I think it is fairly straight forward.