just an fyi that i have notice over the years.

i tend to buy mine timing belt kits (including all the fluids, belts, roller etc...) from ECS or companies like them. you actually get the same exact part (in my experience) as when you go to the deal or mechanics shop. when i did the 1.8t on my passat this past winter I got the ECS kit and the parts supplied actually had the audi/vw stamp on them and the belts were the same brand that vw/audi uses at the dealer.

side bar and rant...

the timing belt service, when you get the complete jump with water pump and all done, is the biggest rip off at the dealer. again on the 1.8t the dealer told me $1,200. I asked how many hours it would take them and they said 5-6 hours. I also asked how much the parts would cost and they said around $250-300. so i looked on their wall at the service counter and it says the shop rate is $65/hr. so do the math on the laber and parts and on the high side you get $690. i guess the other $510 dollars is for the joy in taking my car to them and having them break other things while they fix what what i ask them to fix in the first place (i guess we can thank VoA for "book prices).

alright rant over haha

also timing belts are funny things, you can check it and it could be good one day and broken a week later, or have hair lines cracks in it and last another 20k miles. I tend to just stick with service intervals like others have said and not put my credance in what the shops tell me unless it's a shop that i have A LOT of trust in.