Thread: Clattering noise just off idle

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts...I think I'll do an oil change just so I know what's in there...

I'm kind of hypersensitive to odd noises...I rarely turn on the radio so I can keep a keen ear on what's going on under the hood. I've built a few different projects over the years and always notice any sounds or smells that seem off...I can smell a radiator leak from 100 feet away. Since the RS is new to me, I don't know if it's been there for a while or something that needs attention just yet.

As far as the cam angles, I was definitely within spec, about 4 degrees if I remember correctly with an acceptable range from 2-6, so hoping the tensioner shoes are still ok. It definitely seems a bit louder on the passenger side rear, but I'll get out my stethoscope and put a better ear on it when my son can hold the throttle for me to test to see if it's on both tensioners or just one (which may indicate an issue).

I may take another look at this when my son gets home with his laptop and our VAGCOM cord.
    For what it's worth, many cam chain tensioner pads have been failing over the last 3-4 years. Due to age and mileage, and it's a plastic part with a metal chain running over it. However for now your cam numbers seem like they are in spec.

It was the passenger side on mine that blew, and it's near the back. I went to start the car one day and got flashing CEL along with it sounding like a really rough diesel. Once opened up we found the shattered pad with plastic all over the place.

Sooner or later the pads will need to be changed, and you don't want them failing at WOT (or anytime really) as it causes severe cylinder misfires. Replace next time you're in the engine. The passenger one is an absolute pain to get to, engine needs to be in service position, and the SAI system is in the way.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    For what it's worth, many cam chain tensioner pads have been failing over the last 3-4 years. Due to age and mileage, and it's a plastic part with a metal chain running over it. However for now your cam numbers seem like they are in spec.

It was the passenger side on mine that blew, and it's near the back. I went to start the car one day and got flashing CEL along with it sounding like a really rough diesel. Once opened up we found the shattered pad with plastic all over the place.

Sooner or later the pads will need to be changed, and you don't want them failing at WOT (or anytime really) as it causes severe cylinder misfires. Replace next time you're in the engine. The passenger one is an absolute pain to get to, engine needs to be in service position, and the SAI system is in the way.
    Thanks for your thoughts...just finished doing the suction jet pump...that was fun too...I was just starting to diagnose the clatter, then all went to hell with the vac leak. I was on the fence to tear it down further to do these at the same time or not...I think the shoes will be in the near future due to age....