Hello!

I have achieved greater understanding of the Bentley Manual Wire diagrams! LOL.

My headlights, turn signals, wipers, and fog lights went out again. I could smell something burning when I got to work, and when I got back in the car to go home these items were out.

The last time it was a short between two wires in the connector to the headlight switch. I fixed that. All was fine with that for a few weeks. (the other "fuse" and no volt meter and battery light is another thing).

I checked the connector again and there was no short. The fuses for those systems are ok.

I figured out which wire is which in the headlight switch connector, and determined the wire that was shorted before was not the ground as I assumed, but a positive coming off the J59 load reduction relay (pin 1/ Xz) shorted to the power going to the fog lights (pin 2/Xr). So now those two have no power with the car running. There was only power at pin 15/30 which is a direct connection to the positive terminal and from the diagram provides power to the parking lights (and all four parking lights light up fine).

So it appears that the relay which has been clicking too much over the past year may very well have been a failing load reduction relay and now those systems are out.

The thing I could not figure out from the diagrams is how the windshield washer fits into this. I will have to look at that diagram for a little while longer to see where they connect, but I cannot determine the positive power input to that circuit (yet) and suspect it too comes from the J59 relay.

Going to open up the dash and pull that relay and replace. Looks like a $10 part.

Mike