Thread: Acceleration stronger with less than 100% throttle?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    High intake velocity is a friend of torque. With partial throttle, there is less area available the air being demanded to flow through, therefore it has to flow faster to get all the air through in time (Q=A x V, Q = total volume per time, A= area, V=velocity).

Porsche's vario-ram (IIRC) essentially capitalizes on this. At lower rpms only a portion of the intake is available, at higher rpms, a second plate opens up, all at full throttle.
    I am having some trouble with this explanation.

At lower RPM's the engine requires less air per unit of time and less fuel per unit of time. So to keep the balance between intake Air and intake Fuel, that variable IIRC thing makes some sense.

I really doubt that the linear velocity of the intake air has ANY effect on the development of Torque by the internal combustion engine...perhaps it does with a Ram Jet engine....

With a NA engine, the intake air is being PULLED in, so any resistance to inflow is going to limit the amount of air the engine can take in per unit of time, a turbo engine is pulling this air in with even more gusto. Matching the intake resistance, thus the intake air flow rate to the fuel flow rate is important to maintain the target air/fuel mixture.

I am intregued by the the explanation about running Rich to protect the engine and would like to hear more on that issue.

Mike

I agree with Mike that the offered explanation doesn't cut it. As well, I'll be the odd one out here and say that I have never noticed this phenom with my Beast or any other car I've ever had. Anyone else?
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i