Originally posted by Benman

And that's my point about the RS 4. So, maybe it won't beat the new M5. But it's certainly more than just straight line #s. It does afterall have a very similar power to weight ratio and I think most of us will agree that it's better (dynamically) to have a vehicle that weights 2000 lbs with 200 HP than 4000 lbs with 400 HP. The RS 4 is not this extreme but is (reportedly) @500lbs less than the M5, yet keeps the power to weight ratio VERY close. So we should see some interesting road tests!

Ben
Right on the money, Benman,

I think the RS4 is going to be a lot, lot closer to the M5 in performance terms than anyone imagined it would be. The engine is a work of art and should really move the game on in performance car terms. But the real surprise, should be the amount of traction andpoise in and out of corners thanks to 4WD, suspension tweaks and improved steering.

Everyone is speculating about how much the RS4 will cost (including me!) but if it costs under £50,000 - and yet is within a gnat's whisker of the M5's performance - then it will start to look like great value. I would be extremely surprised if the RS4 cost more than £52,000 fully loaded, because at that price a 4.2 FSi A6 with air suspension starts to look very attractive.