Thread: RS4 to target BMW M5

Threaded View

I know this is a little late but I just saw this.

Nordschleife wrote
    "Fortunately, for those of us who like cars, the US market is becoming less important for the world's car manufacturers.
    Am I being harsh on the US, no, just realistic. Porsche is still the exception in that the US market is very important, for the others the several European markets and China are much more significant in agregate, prices are maintained and currency risk is avoided. Why does this matter, mostly because in an automotive sense, the US is on another planet, different rules about everything, from safety, to emissions to measurement standards, different expectations about service and warranties, different driving capabilities, different returns on sales. Almost every really interesting car from leading European manufacturers has not been imported into the US, GT3RS, M3CSL, RS4, RS2, TVR, the list goes on. These cars are good for several reasons, in part because they are not compromised by the requirements of the US market. If you want really interesting cars hope that they are not Federalised and get an expert to bring them in through the grey market. Your outlook on the world is entirely UScentric, do try to see beyond the borders of the 48 States and adopt a global view of what is happening in the automotive world. The soccer-mom is a US phenomenon, in the rest of the world the game is football and its played by men, you might have heard of 'the beautiful game'. Your point about quattro offering alternative suspensions, is entirely irrelevant, their firmer setups are aimed at drivers usually resident in Germany who are able to take advantage of that country's mostly excellent roads, the standard cars have suspension which is too stiff for the US market, so there is usually a selection of suspension set ups available. I am not knocking the US, nor am I anti-US, I am realistic about automobiles in the US and the ethos surrounding them. As a former Nevada Honor Guard officer, a descendent of a President of the Continental Congress, and the happy son, brother, uncle and main squeeze of US citizens and residents, it would be odd if I were knocking the US, even though it is often very difficult to persuade my European and Antipodean friends and relations that the country has not taken on the mantle of the 'Evil Empire'."

Last time I checked Audi sales figures for the US were just a little behind Europe. Let us also stress that the US is a country, Europe is a continent. Also accusing someone of being "US centric" seems like an attempt to divert from the point. Americans are no less US centric than Nordschleife is Euro centric. It cannot be true that the US market has both been ignored and at the sametime altered all European marketing strategies. While it may be true that cars in the US are not the same as they are in Europe, this is based on the manufactures choice. If the American people want a good ride in their car, cold air conditioning, and comfortable seats out of a $70, ooo car, I dont think that is unreasonable. If We are to blame for desiring Luxary out of a $85,000 car, I also think that is reasonable. Nordschleife you are not being realistic. You are only again reveling your bias against the US which you have done on countless other occasions on this site. You refer to adopting a "Global View" but what you really mean is adopt a European view. Anytime the US refuses to adopt this European View we are not being "realistic."
    As for the Evil Empire comment, I will once again knock that one up to your ignorance. I say let History be the judge. Let us remove the US from the european scene during the first half of the 20th century and see how things turn out. How quickly do you forget our sacrifice!

LET US NOT EVER ENTER IN TO A POLITICAL EUROPE Vs THE US DEBATE ON THIS SITE!!! I love Europe and will move there in the future.
    Last edited by R8isGreat; March 25th, 2005 at 15:06.
    http://kak.net/audi/audi-r8r.htm