Here is where I am at with this issue.

I have confirmed the dimmer switch Rheostat functions properly, so it is not the mechanical switch.

Proof:
1. Measure with ohm meter, range is the same for both the switches I have.
2. The lights in the instrument cluster, radio and A/C display panels all dim properly.
3. Backlight switches in Radio function properly.

The lights which do not light up at all....all the rest of the switch backlights. A/C control module, hazard flasher, head light switch, fog light switch, heated seat knobs, cigarette lighter backlights, head liner switches for dome and map lights, rear also, etc.

Here is the wire diagram in question.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interior Light wires.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	18490

Note: TO RADIO!

If this is the wire which sends current to all those bulbs listed AND to the Radio to control it's dimming then WTF? I cannot find another wire going to the radio that controls it's dimming, but either there is another circuit doing this or there is a common wire in the wire harness A19 that is broken going to all the rest of the lights, but not to the radio?

But that does not explain the short that takes out the fuse in the instrument cluster.

When I plugged in the new instrument cluster, those lights still did not light, but the fuse 15 no longer blew and the volt meter worked. I did not yet go through installing the new instrument cluster for fear that what ever took out the lights also will burn out that new one.

I don't think there is any other control module between these wires. See the diagram to L120 and L121 (storage compartment illumination and cub holder illumination) which go to bulb and to ground.

Thoughts?

Mike