Thread: Quick clutch survey

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    Past:
    AMD Stage 3 (fibertough 8 puck)
    ~20000 miles
    SteveKen kit
    AMD tuned, 460whp/530wtq

I didn't like this clutch. It was very chattery, especially once it warmed up. It was possible but difficult to take off from a stop without chatter, and would not have been fun to daily drive. The one time I attempted a launch, it slipped completely and didn't grab until I let off the throttle, pushed in the clutch, and then re-engaged. On the plus side, the pedal feel was light enough to feel stock (compared to a stock C5 A6 6-speed I briefly owned).

Current:
    Spec Stage 3+ (ceramic full face)
    ~2000 miles
    The rest the same as past

I really like this clutch, it's light enough to feel stock and engages very smoothly. It will chatter a very small amount if I'm really not paying attention when taking off from a stop, but really I almost have to purposely try to get it to chatter. I haven't tried any hard launches, but it holds any gear WOT no problem. I don't daily drive it, but wouldn't hesitate to based on the clutch.
    Your experience is similar to mine, although I've had no trouble with slipping. I went to the strip and tried some fairly hard launches and it never slipped at all.

I'm leaning strongly toward the Spec 3+ right now. The part number I've found is SA863F. Does that match what you guys are using?

Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    Your experience is similar to mine, although I've had no trouble with slipping. I went to the strip and tried some fairly hard launches and it never slipped at all.

I'm leaning strongly toward the Spec 3+ right now. The part number I've found is SA863F. Does that match what you guys are using?

Gregg
    Gregg, yes the SA863F is the one I used. I bought it through Pelican Parts, at the time they had the best price and their customer service has been great in my past experience.

The other option I was looking into based on feedback from another forum member (I don't recall who offhand) was Ringer Racing's Stage 4 option. Ultimately I went with Spec because my brother has a Spec Stage 3+ in his 1989 E30 build and I really like the way it drives (obviously a very different car, but nevertheless). I don't regret my decision at all.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.