can the RS6 be truly everything? This weekend, the missus and I are putting it to the test.

Over five days we have off, we will go sightseeing in Kentucky. We are camping in the car itself; seats folded down and a thin futon laid down. It is remarkably comfortable, with lots of pillows and whatnot. Laptop power comes from a power inverter and wifi through an iPhone. The sunroof is open, with mosquito netting covering the top, and a sun shade and the 18% tinted windows provides privacy. I must say this is much better than dealing with a tent!

So the car is a long-distance tourer and works as a camper of sorts. But on Tuesday, after touring the Corvette assembly plant, this car will go straight to the dragstrip and possibly on an oval as well. And she got an impromptu race today - cruise control was set at 85, and we were just chatting, when the buzzing of two Lancer Evos and a WRX STI, tuned to the nines, started darting around us. The Better Half says "oh no, you're not going to take them up on...ok, you are, I'm gonna just close my eyes, tell me when you win" :P

The STI nails it from 85-90 when traffic cleared and there was clearly visible open road for about a mile. I can't resist - downshift to 4th and just floor it. It's so effortless in this car, it almost takes away from the experience. But even with his 2 second heat start I'm easily closing the gap. By the time I catch and pass him, we're at 160. I slip in front of him to let him know game over, I won, and slow down. One of the Evos then starts to get into position to have a go, but sadly, I'm only good for such a thing once, and anyways our exit kind of came up sooner than expected

A few years ago when I was heavily into street racing in Korea, I always preferred to start from behind; that way there is no question if I won.

Anyways, the RS6 was challenged on the highway, and won in a flat out race. I'm nestled comfortably in the back of the car now among pillows from home; alcantara and fine leather beats the pants off of a nylon-walled tent! More touring until Tuesday night, and then with a full 1/4 mile, the hope is to run a low 12 pass. I've been told that, with the 1/8 mile trap speeds I've been running, that high 11s are theoretically possible. But I'll be satisfied with anything under 12.5 seconds.

At which point I think I can safely say, as the RS6 has acquitted herself surprisingly well in her class in autocrossing, that this car is truly not only a jack of all trades, but a master of them as well! All that remains is a full track day, most likely at Road Atlanta this summer (it is bitterly disappointing that the Nashville Superspeedway closed this year - the track there with infield is quite good for a local track).