Thread: Kenwood DNX 9960 Install. Awesome Navigation Unit

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    When I installed my RNS-E, I tapped into the fin antenna via the OnStar module which is located under the front passenger footwell. I don't re-call the part number of the lead needed, but I found it easily at a local VW dealer. Do a search for installs on audiforum.us/rns-e/ - meantime, if i find the link, I'll edit here
    That's just what I would like to do LIRS6. Nice to know I can tap into the Onstar Sat antenna. I will do more research on the topic. But any future help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Elevens View Post
    That's just what I would like to do LIRS6. Nice to know I can tap into the Onstar Sat antenna. I will do more research on the topic. But any future help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Found this on audiform - this is what I did http://audiforum.us/cables-adapters-...rns-e-gps.html fyi, you buy a, say, 6 foot fakra / fakra extension, attach it to the lead from the sharkfin GPS antenna which you will find at the OnStar module under the front pass footwell (you will have to remove the glovebox, and part of the doorsill, and pull up the carpeting to get to the OnStar unit). Remove the OnStar unit as it is dead weight anyway. Run the Fakra/Fakra lead to your RNS-E unit. Voila. Mine works perfectly. I don't recall if the Fakra/Fakra extension is male/female or female/female or male/male - you'll have to figure that out when you check the antenna lead going into the OnStar module. Good luck.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    Found this on audiform - this is what I did http://audiforum.us/cables-adapters-...rns-e-gps.html fyi, you buy a, say, 6 foot fakra / fakra extension, attach it to the lead from the sharkfin GPS antenna which you will find at the OnStar module under the front pass footwell (you will have to remove the glovebox, and part of the doorsill, and pull up the carpeting to get to the OnStar unit). Remove the OnStar unit as it is dead weight anyway. Run the Fakra/Fakra lead to your RNS-E unit. Voila. Mine works perfectly. I don't recall if the Fakra/Fakra extension is male/female or female/female or male/male - you'll have to figure that out when you check the antenna lead going into the OnStar module. Good luck.
    Thanks for the Info LIRS6. Started to do some searching and found that TeddyBgame seems to be the Navigation Guru. As a matter of fact he had a C5 RS6. My only issue will be if the Extension cable will plug into the Kenwood Unit. I went to my local dealer to check out the Kenwood DNX9960 NAV unit, and all I can say is that this unit in phenomenal. The display and Navigational Graphics are the best I've seen outside of the Portable units. The Quality of the construction seems to be Top Notch also. And its very customizable, all colors can be set to match your cars interior. A built in DSP also allows you to shape the sound to your cars interior. A very good unit indeed.......
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.