Thread: MTM turns up the wick on the 2010 Audi S4

Hybrid View

I know the B7 S4 to B7 RS4 difference was greater (70bhp) but the character of the RS is SO different to the S - S = soft boulevard cruiser, RS = edgy performance vehicle.

If Audi have retained the same character difference (which is about a lot more than just power - it's about handling and edginess, etc.) between the S5 and the RS5 then I'd still opt for the RS5 - especially as it will have a characterful V8 exhaust note and not a bland V6 exhaust note.

Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    I know the B7 S4 to B7 RS4 difference was greater (70bhp) but the character of the RS is SO different to the S - S = soft boulevard cruiser, RS = edgy performance vehicle.

If Audi have retained the same character difference (which is about a lot more than just power - it's about handling and edginess, etc.) between the S5 and the RS5 then I'd still opt for the RS5 - especially as it will have a characterful V8 exhaust note and not a bland V6 exhaust note.
    The "335i <> M3" dilemma still exist, although what you said is 100% true (in BMW case, and now in our/Audi case).

Audi should see it like this: for a V8 sound, for better handling (most people don't bring their car to the track that often, or never) and for the badge (in my case I'll take it down), will the enthusiasts out there pay 20.000 USD/Euro more ??? People are not stupid, especially those into cars will know they can chip the S4/5, they can change the exhaust, lower the car, for no more than 5k all together.

Anyway, we kinda derailed from this post, I think it's great great news the 3.0V6 is that tunable, especially for S4/S5 buyers, and for all Audi fans in general. I can barely wait to see the 1/4 mile and the track times (any track) for the MTM S4. And I hope we won't see the same flame wars when S4/5 and RS5 owners meet, as in the BMW case (they would kill each other, if forums posts could do that).

this might derail the thread even further,

the third gen 2011 base cayenne will also have the audi 3.0 TFSI engine. with a lighter body and 450+ hp after stage 2 tuning, it could easily be faster than previous cayenne turbos!

Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post

Completely agree with you. Having done the MTM upgrade, my S4 is now RS4 quick but it doesn't have the character. If the B7 RS4 had more space in the back I'd take it over the new S4 every time.

That's not to say I'm not happy with the S4 - it's a perfect 'S' car. It's just not an 'RS' car. As for the refined exhaust note, Milltek are bringing out an S4 kit in Aug....

Marv