Thread: New Merc C63AMG

New Merc C63AMG

In Worldcarfans is first shots of the new Merc C63 testing around the ring.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto...rcedes-c63-amg

They say it will only have between 400-420hp, somehow I doubt that. That would put it quite a lot down on the CLK 63 and surely they are basically the same chassis minus a couple of doors.
    Search and you will find the truth.

I agree Leadfoot, Merc won't realease the C63 with 400-420BHP. Considering the CLK pushes 474 BHP (I think? ), I can't see the C63 having less than 440BHP. 420BHp would put it too close to the RS4 and considering the C63 is a generation ahead of the RS4, Merc need a performance buffer in terms of BHP to keep up in the next few years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver

Personally I would doubt if it will have any less power than the CLK63, what would be the point, unless they are wanting to price the C63 lower. In the UK the CLK63 is approx. £63K, now that is way to dear to compete with the RS4 and the new M3, both of which are about £50K.

I have seen tests on the CLK63 in which it posted times of 4.3sec to 60mph and <10sec to 100mph, not bad and easily the match for a 997 Carrera S or a M5. So it's priced about right for the cars it's competing with.

But unless Merc are bring out a 5.5L normal C-Class with 380hp and a £45K price tag, a £60K C63amg will not sale in any numbers, no matter how good or quick it will be.

I hope this engine goes into the new SLK amg. Think about it, 6.3L in a car no bigger than a TT, now that would give a whole new meaning to the saying Pocket Rocket .

I like the way Merc are now turning off the ESP on their AMG models. Looks like not only Audi are getting serious about performance.

Abou ESP, I hate so much that you can't take ESP off on Q7 or Allroad. What the hell will you do with this car at winter?

Originally posted by Speedou
    Abou ESP, I hate so much that you can't take ESP off on Q7 or Allroad. What the hell will you do with this car at winter?
    I thought the Q7 had an off-road position for the ESP system, would this not be suitable for the winter?

Originally posted by Leadfoot
    I thought the Q7 had an off-road position for the ESP system, would this not be suitable for the winter?
    As well the Allroad had. But it really don't give any fun. Just helps you off some little deeper snow. But no fun at all

Well...am I the only one that finds interesting the weight issue on the front of that car ? I mean....i's a 6.3 liter V8, can you imagine the understeer on that thing if the engine is not pushed back enough or isn't light enough?

Cheers,

Javier

Ps. I dunno the engine's weight so I might be wrong on this one...

Originally posted by JavierNuvolari
    Well...am I the only one that finds interesting the weight issue on the front of that car ? I mean....i's a 6.3 liter V8, can you imagine the understeer on that thing if the engine is not pushed back enough or isn't light enough?

Cheers,

Javier

The engine is lighter than than the old 5.5L, but by how much I don't know. All the test I have read seem to rate it's handling very highly, so what ever suspension tweaks they have done must have worked. It might not be a RS4 or than M3 but it's a lot closer than before.

Originally posted by JavierNuvolari

Cheers,

Javier

Certainly it can't have any more understeer than an RS4, which also has a V8 mounted... in front of the headlights!

'92 300E Biturbo
    '01 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Selespeed

Originally posted by Matteus
    Certainly it can't have any more understeer than an RS4, which also has a V8 mounted... in front of the headlights!

Rightly so. And you forgot to say, that being rwd you will be able to cancel the understeer with a boot full of throttle.

Originally posted by Leadfoot
    The engine is lighter than than the old 5.5L, but by how much I don't know. All the test I have read seem to rate it's handling very highly, so what ever suspension tweaks they have done must have worked. It might not be a RS4 or than M3 but it's a lot closer than before.
    55lbs (25kg) lighter than supercharged 5.5 - probably about the weight of the blower itself inc. all the plumbing!