Thread: RS4 Review - long (x-post)

RS4 Review - long (x-post)

2007 RS4 – a new owner’s perspective

OK, a very new owner – I’ve had the car less than a week, and I’m sure the journey has just begun. I’m looking forward to many years and many miles of fun with this amazing machine, so more reports may follow later, but this report is about first impressions.

I’m not an automotive journalist; I’m an Audi enthusiast. I’m a self-confessed piston head, having cut my teeth on the American muscle cars of the ‘60’s. I survived the first fuel crisis of the ‘70’s and the 55 MPH speed limit that ensued. I’ve had more speeding tickets than I can count, but through it all, I never lost my love for cars. I’m older now, but I’m not old. The RS4 is part of a natural progression of the cars I’ve owned.

So enough about my history and credentials – such as they are. What about the car?

The Machine - 2007 RS4 – Avus Silver, Ebony Interior, Premium Package

Let’s start with a little walk around the outside of the car. As more than a few have said, pictures just don’t do it justice. It is absolutely stunning in person. At the dealership, it was the absolute center of attention. Even amongst the Porsches and more expensive Audis, it was like a light to moths. People just swarmed to it. I wanted to tell people to step back, but I resisted.

My friends and family are unanimous in their opinion of the looks. Amazing. It doesn’t have the “hey look at me,” flash of a ‘Vette or Viper – it has a sleek sophistication that used to be the hallmark of BMW (pre-Bangle). Sure, it’s based on the A4, and the A4 is a beautiful car in its own right, but the RS sets a new standard in understated elegance and class.

Color choice is a very personal matter, but for me, Avus Silver is absolutely perfect. It is, in and of itself, also understated. I don’t think you could go wrong with almost any color, but Avus just seems to fit this car perfectly. As someone else described it, it is almost chameleon like, taking on the subtle hues of its surroundings. I’ve seen it look almost sky blue, and medium pewter in the space of about 10 minutes. At dusk it almost glows a kind of molten silver as it transforms to a slightly lighter cousin of the Daytona Gray. I debated long and hard between Phantom Black and Avus. I’m glad I made the choice I did.

The much-debated B7 front end looks perfect on this car. It is an aggressive design statement – no doubt, but this is an aggressive car. It fits. The fender flares, subtle trunk spoiler and 19 inch wheels complete the look. There’s no contrived nonsense to attract the twenty-something crowd. Thank God.

Entering the car won’t disappoint even the most discerning enthusiast. It is so well thought out that I rate the ergonomics as good as my wife’s SAAB 9-5 Aero – and SAAB knows ergonomics. Everything falls into place perfectly. Controls are of excellent quality and feel (unlike the new Mercedes line). Fit and finish is perfect. The leather is soft and supple.

As far as the seats, steering wheel and start button, I can certainly say that I don’t miss them. Sure, the steering wheel would have been cool, but the start button is absolutely superfluous to the car. I’ve turned the key to start every car I’ve owned. In fact, the only vehicle I’ve ever driven that used a start button was a yard tractor. 1965 Cub Cadet, I believe. From what I’ve read, the euro seats are great, but their unavailability is something I’ll probably never miss.

I’ve heard complaints about the audio system, but it’s as good as any factory system I’ve heard. I’m not looking for bass response that will shake the cars next to me, but if you are, you might be adding a sub. Wait; just get a WRX from one of those twenty-somethings. I’m sure they’ve already hooked it up.

The Nav system is the equal or better of any I’ve used, but my experience with them is limited. I’m still learning the bells and whistles, but basic use is simple and intuitive – the antithesis of Bimmer’s I-Drive.

The only problem I’ve had is in uploading my phonebook via the Bluetooth connection. I’m not sure if there’s a compatibility problem with my Blackberry or if I am missing a programming step somewhere in the Blackberry. The manual says the transfer “should be” automatic. Actual phone operation is slick, with excellent transmission and reception quality.

I thought that the rear sunshade was only a gimmick, but I’ve found that I like it for helping to keep the car cool, and cutting sun glare in the mirror.

OK, but how does it run?

As reported elsewhere, the sound of the engine is simply intoxicating. Even without the S mode engaged, anyone who knows anything about engine noise instantly recognizes something very special. Casual bystanders take note as well. Enable Sport Mode, and the sounds are taken to a whole new level.

On the second day I had the car, I was passing a golf course on my way to work – pretty much minding my own business, following a reasonable break-in procedure running it to about 4 grand through the first 4 gears when I noticed 4 guys on a tee box following my progress toward them. They were probably 400 yards from me when I started from a stop sign, and maybe 175 yards away when I saw them. As I passed, I clearly saw one of them mouth “Holy Shit!” That’s the kind of stuff it does to people. I love that part!

Now mind you, I’ve got just over 300 miles on the RS, so I really haven’t explored any real limits yet, but I can already say that this car is everything I ever dreamed it would be and more.

Acceleration at half (plus) throttle is smooth and powerful. The handling is taught and predictable. I don’t know if I’ll ever track the car, but the twisties that I play with are about to be taken to a new level. It is absolutely flat at the speeds I’ve driven.

There is a nice little “S” turn near a friends house that is “challenging” at 40 mph in many cars. The first time he and I went through it, we exited at almost 90 without apexing. My buddy described it as “slot car like”. That’s a pretty good description. Now before anyone lectures me about the dangers associated with that turn, believe me, I don’t drive that way in traffic situations. This is a country road with long visibility. The only danger was my consenting friend’s and mine, and frankly it didn’t feel dangerous at all in the RS.

As others have said, it there’s a problem with the car it may be that it’s too easy to drive fast. My coworkers started a pool about my first warning and/or ticket. I’ll show them!

A few more miles and we’ll see how 6000 RPM feels.

As I said, I have a history of fast cars, the most recent being a Stage 1+ B5 S4 (that I still have in the garage). The B5 is a fast car in its own right, but there really is no comparison between the two car’s ability to go fast. Does that make sense? There is no turbo lag in the RS. It just builds speed – VERY quickly and smoothly. Some have said that the old S has more of a kick-in-the-pants pull, but I think the RS feels much faster. Sure, some Stage 3 builds probably are faster, but frankly Scarlet I don’t give a damn.

Realistically, there will always be faster cars. That’s OK. Faster doesn’t necessarily mean better. In my opinion, the RS4 is a better all around car than anything I’ve seen and driven it its price range. It’s a better car than many that are more expensive.

To me, the RS4 is the ultimate driving machine – sorry BMW, I’ve driven your cars too, but none of them equal this car.

Now, I’ve got to find an excuse to go to the store. I think I’ll make it a store that’s about 30 country miles from here…

S4Aero, thank you so much for your review. It's great to hear from real owners rather than journos - not that I don't like what they do but I think owner drivers put it in different words.

You have made the wait of the next week or so even more unbearable.

As far as the pool at work goes - surprise them

Take care, drive safe. Look forward to more reports.

James

Thank you for sharing that great review. I will be joining the ranks soon. Many good wishes for continued happy motoring.

excellent report, great stuff !

S4Aero

I know you said your not a journalist;but you should be.I could picture what you were describing instantly.

Thanks for the great report.I also chose an avus silver with black leather but will have to wait at least another 6-8 weeks for delivery.

Any chance of posting some pictures. That way I can re read your review and admire the view.

God i'm getting impatient ......

Bryan

Wow............I love the way you paint the Avus Silver colours in words...............beautiful. My car is almost identical with yours expect the steering wheel and the start button........

Loving it every single minute...............

Nice review . The best is to come , when you reach 8000 you´ll see ,or feel .

Avus Silver is an addiction .
    Be prepared for speeding tickets ...:king:
    When you have eliminated the impossible , whatever remains , however improbable , must be the truth.
    ..Sherlock Holmes..

Terrific report.

When I saw the avus on the RS6, when it first came out, I instantly loved it too. I'm picking mine up tomorrow or Friday latest.

What did the dealer say the break in period was? What rpm and for how long? I've read recently that was not necessary any more.

I live in country road territory too. My drive to work will definitely include some wrong turns.

Re: RS4 Review - long (x-post)

Originally posted by S4Aero
    Sure, some Stage 3 builds probably are faster, but frankly Scarlet I don’t give a damn.

First class report. Its great to read these kind of posts. With that new owner excitement, it certainly brings back memories. The break in period is hard, but once its done, self control goes right out the window!

As for tracking, do at least one event. You can always decide just how much you'll push the car. I didn't track my RS 6 nearly as much as Jimmy or JP4, but did enough to know what the car could really do. Happy motoring.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Ditto on the track event advice. You simply won't be able to fully enjoy a machine like the RS4 on the street. I did over a dozen track days with the RS6 and loved every one of them. The RS4 will be exponentially more fun too. You get to row your own gears and with that 8K+ redline... Wow! I can just imagine what a heel-toe downshift at track RPMs sounds like in that beast.

'01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Congratulations!

Very nice to read a thoughtful, well-rounded reaction to this amazing Audi.

Regarding Avus Silver - A good friend has an RS 6 in the same color. Normally, I'm not a fan of silver German cars at all, primarily because there are WAY TOO MANY of them in the US. In the case of Avus Silver, though, I have to make an exception. The shades it shows depending on lighting are truly stunning.

Maybe it's just me, but Audi seems to always do amazing things with paint. The original Audi Pearl White remains a memorable color, and the current one ain't bad, either (we have one of those, too!)

Enjoy your car - that break-in period can't be over too soon, and we want to hear about those last 3500 rpm when they become available!

Great report I hope you enjoy your awesome toy!
    Audi is a true young mans car