Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS4 Impressions

Thumbs up RS4 Impressions

As many have seen, we once had a thread about RS4 Disappointments... (This turned out to some war between M3 and RS4)

This time, I would really like to hear what you like about the car. Talk about your impressions. For example, I owned an S4 for 3 years and now I have a WRX (yeah until I can finally get my RS4). So now I can tell you that I believe the WRX handles better but just don’t have enough torque. I also like the suspension better on the WRX (compared to the 2001 S4). It’s stiff but not uncomfortable.

So maybe some of you can share what they think of the car and compare their experiences (casual driving experience please)

If you want to talk about track performance and compare tires or any specific part please start another thread and name it accordingly.

I just don't want to start another number war. Just keep it simple and talk about your casual daily drive. It would be nice if we could reserve this one to stock cars. I know some of you are track addict but for most of us it doesn’t really matter if there’s a couple of second difference between two cars at the track… I’ll never be able to tell (I just can’t push those cars to the limits; I’m scared to hell way before I reach them)

I would really appreciate if we could keep this one friendly as most of the threads are!

So lets share!

I think it can be interesting to have a nice topic with the different feelings on the RS4. The is my comment on my 2nd test drive on opened road (first one on track) which took place last Jan.

It is also funny for me to read my own past post and remember how much this car is fantastic. ENJOY :

What can I say ? JUST AN UNBELIEVABLE CAR

As you probably remember I attended the RS4 days in Switzerland last September and it was great. But honestly today's test drive was just an insane experience. As if I was driving the RS4 for the first time. What a different feeling to drive it on open road.

THIS CAR IS SIMPLY GREAT. WHOW

Got the car at my dealer : red misano, normal suspension set up, recaro seats. First impression : the Recaro are great seat (I tested the RS seats last September), the steering wheel is great.

It took me 15 minutes to pick up my wife and go out of Geneva : First impression everybody is looking at you or turning his head when hearing the sound of the beast . Honestly I am wondering if the RS I tested previously on track had the same engine noise while diving. THE SOUND INSIDE THE CAR IS JUST AMAIZING, REALLY AMAIZING.

We took the highway for about 20 km. the car is confortable. Compared to my S4 ABT 310cv torque is not as strong in 4,5 and 6th gear while driving low rev at about 100 km/h which is absolutely normal. However when you go down in gear the power is IMMEDIATE and the car pushes really hard. The quick response of the throttle is incredible and I love it compared to my S4 turbo lag. Despite my previous comment torque is always present and just by a soft pedal touch the car becomes a rocket. Just great how you get pleasure driving it (sorry to repeat it again )

Then small country roads and full power : How can I describe the second gear ? It is soooooo powerfull, soooo powerfull. The third gear is incredible in the way the car pulls, pulls, pulls, as if the 3rd gear never ends. You finally reach the red zone and you are at about 160 km/h !!!. Sorry the road is already finished and you brake : great brakes, great handling, even if at 0 degree the summer tires were not in best conditions....

In my opinion and after having tested both seats and suspensions I will definitely go for the Recaro seats (good confort , nice looking) and for the standard suspensions (more than enough for my use, good compromise between efficiency and confort).

Honestly, I've been also wondering about my choice to buy the new RS4 despite my order given to the dealer in April 2003. Of course Delivery delay, new cars from competition, new M3, etc... make me and some of you wonder about it. But after this great test drive believe me guys THERES IS NO DOUBT ABOUT THIS RS4 BEING THE BEST AUDI EVER MADE SIMPLY GREAT.

You get so much fun while driving it. WHAT AN INCREDIBLE SOUND (sorry again) I am definitely in love with it can't wait to see the avant in Geneva and finalize my order. The dealer still tells me June for first avant delivery in Switzerland. By the way I will be there on the press day 1st of March. Anybody else planning to be there ?

How am I going to spleep tonight I don't know WELL DONE AUDI, WELL DONE, GREAT CAR

Fab

I have a S4 v8 and the enjoyable thing about it is the torque, how many cars do you know that if the traffic don't come to a complete stop, you can drive it around the town in 6th gear, amazing. I love the speed and the accelerate but hate the suspension, to bouncy on my bumpy road on which I live, apart from that I thought my life was complete. Bugg*r Audi for bring out the RS4, after one test drive I was hooked, what handling what ride quality and the accelerate, man I have never had as much fun with my clothes on. I don't smoke but afterward I sat back in the seat and had a cigarette.

I have driven Porsches, M3 and the new M5, a TVR and AMG C32. Most gave the same feeling of speed and one felt quick, but none of them brought together the feeling of you were the one in control. At this moment only the 997 Turbo is such a complete supercar as the RS4 and it's twice the price.
    Search and you will find the truth.

From what little seat time I have, the car is amazing. It puts the B6 S4 I have to shame. As was said before, for the way the car handles, the ride quality is outstanding. The motor is very strong and smooth, have to be very careful not to nail the rev limiter everytime. That will take some getting used to. Of course I don't have mine yet, but in 5 weeks or so, the wait will be over. Then the real fun begins after the 1,500 mile break-in period.

Damn, when I first read the title and where you live I thought you were posting your own impressions which would mean there was an RS4 ready to be test driven somewhere in town.

Personally I'm going to pass on the outrageous price gouging from Audi Canada. In due time if I can figure out a way to buy one in the US then that's what I'll do. Perhaps at some point the US$ will get stronger, I ain't paying 105k US for an RS4.

Be sure to post if cars start showing up in town.

A guy on the german rs board had his RS4 B7 tested on the dyno.

The results were around 338 HP........now THAT is dissapointing!

If It was to be my car, I would really reject the vehicle.
    RS4 (b5) B&B tuned......

RS4 > Technology to free the mind of man.

Originally posted by Bomber
    A guy on the german rs board had his RS4 B7 tested on the dyno.

The results were around 338 HP........now THAT is dissapointing!

If It was to be my car, I would really reject the vehicle.
    Well all I can say to this is all horses (the H in HP) must not be equal. Because on more than one occassion I have seen a RS4 destory an M3 which has 343HP, so either their is something wrong with this car or other car companies are telling porkys. And I am damned sure that my car is producing near enought the quoted amount and it works with M3s but it wouldn't have a chance against a RS4.

Originally posted by Goldorak
    Damn, when I first read the title and where you live I thought you were posting your own impressions which would mean there was an RS4 ready to be test driven somewhere in town.

Personally I'm going to pass on the outrageous price gouging from Audi Canada. In due time if I can figure out a way to buy one in the US then that's what I'll do. Perhaps at some point the US$ will get stronger, I ain't paying 105k US for an RS4.

Be sure to post if cars start showing up in town.
    Just to reassure you no there are no RS4 in Montreal (for now) but they're coming soon.

Where did you take your price from? The base price for the RS4 is 94700$ + premium package + sunroof = 101k CAD. At least that’s what I’ll pay for it!

But yes this is one high price tag compared to 66k base for the US version.

You can be sure that I'll post some nice pics when I get mine. I already have my professional photograph reserved!

Fab,
    we have to meet in Geneva! You show me the way to the twisty roads and I'll give yo more driving time!!!

Now as I do not agree with the theme of this thread I am just talking about bad things about the RS4!

1) The speed limiter kicks in too early.

In first gear you reach 90kph in second you get to about 130 to reach progressively the 5th gear where you are stopped by the speed limiter. I cannot accept the fact that audi gives me 6 gears but I only need 5. I want my money back! on top of that it takes about 20 seconds to get at 250 kph. It's unacceptable!! I haven't got enaugh time to enjoy the acceleration!!! I hate Audi for that.

2) The sound is just too loud.
    I cannot bare the Idea that wherever I go people turns around to look at my car just becauuse I am proceeding in 1st gear at 8000 rpm making an unbarable noise. And I hate the fact that pretty girls jump on my windscreen to get a ride, I have to go around with the wipers on all day long! The sound of the RS4 does girls as honey does flies. I really hate that especially because they run away as soon as I get out of the car.

3) The brakes are just not good enough.
    To see if brakes are good you simply have to put on new tyres, accelerate to maximum speed and brake as hard as you can. If there is any rubber left on the tyres's carcasses than the brakes are not good enough. I had at least 3-4 spots with some black marks of rubber leftovers. Unacceptable for a car that cost this much.

4) The sportseats are too tight.
    How can you expect someone driving in a seat that can berely hold half of his/her ass.

5) The Bose sound system is not loud enogh.
    I cannot hear the music, the engine is too loud. Sound proofing is just not sufficent. For the money you pay the car should be as silent as the bottom of the sea, in this car you feel like at a hevy metal concert.

To summarise:
    Do not buy the RS4, is not a good car. If you need to go from A to B use the train. The roads are mine and I will share them only with my beautiful black sport sedan. You can stand on the fotpath and listen to the engine!!!

Originally posted by BigRick
    Where did you take your price from? The base price for the RS4 is 94700$ + premium package + sunroof = 101k CAD. At least that’s what I’ll pay for it!
    What @ your PST and GST and financing costs?

Fab,

Nice thread ... but I'm wondering if you and others can opine on how trackable the RS4 will be. I guess we can assume that Audi made this car for the enthusiast and it will deliver ... high reving ... high tolerance ... shaved internals V8, 8 piston rotors and huge discs, rear wheel biased differential, mechanically dampered suspension (thank goodness they took the computer away) ... etc

But I'm wondering about the driving experience ... how is the gearbox ... tight and fast, how about the gate ... natural and directed, the pedal set up ... heal and toe, driver poistion ... supportive with good vis, head room ... enough for a helmet, front end ... balanced - or dives and plows, rear end ... contollable oversteer - or AWD understeer. I'm sure these are things that few will experience pre-1500, but you can probably get an overall sense of the car before actually taking it to the limits.

Just trying to advance the discussion.

K2

Originally posted by Audihead
    What @ your PST and GST and financing costs?
    Then it's much more than that! 101 + 15% (taxes average) + finance (probably something around 8 or 9%)

Then yes this is about 105k USD + finance (hopefully I won't need finance)

Maybe someone has info as why there's such big diff between US and Canadian Pricing!!! (it's really not the $ right now) But I don't want to get off topic so you can PM me if you want.

I share your feelings. The US dollar is about 11 percent stronger but the RS4 is about 39 percent more than the US car. Does not feel fair and does not bode well in the depreciation dept. Not to mention that it will be possible to import the car. For Canadians importing US cars, I have heard that Audi Canada will not honour warranties on US cars unless the purchaser lived in the USA and moved to Canada with the car

Originally posted by MR USER

I cannot hear the music, the engine is too loud.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Originally posted by Leadfoot
    Well all I can say to this is all horses (the H in HP) must not be equal. Because on more than one occassion I have seen a RS4 destory an M3 which has 343HP, so either their is something wrong with this car or other car companies are telling porkys. And I am damned sure that my car is producing near enought the quoted amount and it works with M3s but it wouldn't have a chance against a RS4.
    Leadfoot, can you write a singel post without mentionening M3 or BMW?

Ok we got it, you like RS4 and Audi, and Bimmers is not your favorite, but this threat is about RS4.
    Im tired of comperations with the M3 now, 95 % in here havent even driven non of thesse two cars and yet almost everyone think they know what car is the best and so on.

Im not picking on you, but plz let it go.....

Originally posted by M!
    Leadfoot, can you write a singel post without mentionening M3 or BMW?

Ok we got it, you like RS4 and Audi, and Bimmers is not your favorite, but this threat is about RS4.
    Im tired of comperations with the M3 now, 95 % in here havent even driven non of thesse two cars and yet almost everyone think they know what car is the best and so on.

Im not picking on you, but plz let it go.....
    Sorry for using the M3, but it's the only example I have witnessed aganist a RS4. The statement was to show there must be something wrong this said car, because its HP was quoted as roughly the same as a M3 and my S4, both of which give or take accerelate equally as fast as each other and we all know that in accerelate the RS4 will blow both of them.

You really have to stop reading between the lines when there is nothing here.

MR USER - I love your post (+rep) it made me laugh a lot, thank you.

M!

In defence of Leadfoot, we've had some lunatic kid who doesn't even have a driving license let alone have an RS car berating him about the virtues of the M3 versus the RS4- so if Leadfoot feels it is necessary to stick another nail in the coffin of the M3, I guess we can understand.

BTW, my issues with the M3 verus the RS4 - and I've owned an M3 will soon own an RS4 and have driven both a lot - was never the performance or the driving experience both of which are sublime in the M3 and RS4, but winter safety in M3 - terrifying and BMW build quality - M cars used to be hand-built meisterstucks lovingly assembled by skilled craftsman who would rather die a slow death then let anything other than perfection leave their hallowed production facilities. Today, however, in a quest for quantity, bits fall off, engines break, electrics fuse, stereos stop working, and the overall quality of materials is not what it was. What a shame.

Is Audi good. Yes, very good. But still not quite as durable as a Merc or a Lexus.

Tailpipe,

Thanks for defending me. I didn't realise that you are moving over from the dark side and I hope your RS4 serves you as well as my S4 has served me. I don't hate BMW, I have owned two BMWs in the past, ok it was the best part of 6 1/2 years old, I have never hated BMW, it's just I think they are crap.

Only kidding. I went with the Brother-in-law when he test drove the new Z4M roadster, he's just order a Z4M Coupe, and I see why he likes them. BMW give you a buzz when you drive them especially the M model, but it just no for me. So lets leave it at that, BMW are for people who don't drive Audis.

P.S.:eye:

Tailpipe I agree with that statement about the Lexus, but the Merc, come on look at any JD Power report of resent time, they are miles behind the Audi.