Thread: Transmission Fluid Replacement

Transmission Fluid Replacement

Who has had the tranny fluid flushed or replaced ? What was the cost - since we can not even see if we are low on fluid I thought perhaps changing the fluid every 30K miles would be smart.

Re: Transmission Fluid Replacement

Originally posted by s42ski
    Since we can not even see if we are low on fluid I thought perhaps changing the fluid every 30K miles would be smart.
    I agree with your logic, s42ski. But I can't help yet. I will ask the tech at the next scheduled visit, but others will have the answer first, i bet. I actually wondered HOW they changed the ATF; does the pan have to come off to drain? I'll have to look that up.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

Its the same process for the regular A6 transmission.

There are TWO plugs.

The larger one is the "level checking port", the smaller will drain the system.

If you park on level ground, you remove the larger plug, and put your finger inside. If you can feel the level 'even' with the flange, your ok...

It's very similar to manual transmissions. In an Accord I had years back there were two plugs on the side, bottom and top. The top was the fill to level, the bottom to drain.

I think it is pathetic that there is no dipstick to measure the level, but that's the way it is.

Just think....the new M5 (and all BMWs) does not even have an OIL DIP STICK! My dad's car reported low oil (scarry situation for a high compression, high performance V10) and it took a quart! Brand new engine!!

I'll take a dip stick anyday and the added electronic stuff is still a good idea..."Trust, but Varify."

Mike

Oh, how do I know about the two plugs? LOL....the transmission level check plug looks just like the drain plug for an oil pan...and its quite far forward on the engine....Yes, I pulled that plug when changing the oil on my A6 4.2 the first time...LOL....no hard done, it was on a jack so I did drain a few onces since it the car was tipped. My bad....