Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X-Drive vs Quattro

Dummest vid I have ever seen!

The point is
    " I Am A Driving God! "

Originally posted by Bingocaller
    Dummest vid I have ever seen!

The point is
    X-drive is better than Quattro. The A8 wasn't able to drive away, while the 5 series could.

Ahh ok - I see the point now

Hawk sorry If I came came out to "bitchy"
    " I Am A Driving God! "

This doesn't make sense.
    As far as I know, the Quattro system uses a Torsen center differential, which directs the power which is lost through the spinning wheels to the wheels that do have grip.
    Unless there is something wrong with this A8, or some kind of Dyno-function of some sort is engaged, I'd see no reason why it would just spin the rear wheels like it's an rwd car.

Anyone can clarify this (strange outcome) more?
    '92 300E Biturbo
    '01 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Selespeed

I was suprised too. Wonder what's wrong with the car.

@Bingocaller: no worries, didn't think anything. Just gave an explination.

File was deleted

crap... i would have loved to see that vid. I drive the A8 in all sorts of snowy conditions, and I have never gotten stuck what so ever.

I have the video...I'll see about posting it somewhere.

The video does not make sense...I can only go by what I've read but I understood that regular quattro can only direct 75% of the power to the back. If the A8 has asymmetric quattro or they modified the centre differential then I believe 100% of the power can be sent to the back. That and a non-functioning EDL?

I would have liked to see the video. If Quattros rear wheels have very, very little friction and they both spin with a same speed, it get's stuck. Using a parking brake might work to transfer the power to front.
    At least older X-drive suffered from the same problem, if there's almost zero friction on rear axel, the car gets stuck.
    Good psychosis is always better than bad therapy.

X-drive v Quattro.

I've had quattros for quite a while and I know I have never got stuck in snow or ice, so I would love to see the clip as well. Does the Toureg/Cayenne using the same system as the quattro and if not would it or the Haldex system have faired any better in this test.

Anyway who did this test. Was it an independent body in no way connected to either BMW or Audi.
    Search and you will find the truth.

somehting is fishy here - the rear wheels start turning while the brake lights are still on (Audi) .....

I am not doubting what I have seen, but where was this done, it looks like a dealer garage somewhere. My driveway is quite steep and when it snow, I always can get up.

Are you telling me that when quattro loses grip only on it's rear wheel no drive is sent forward, surely if that was the case I wouldn't get up my drive and every audi quattro in Canada, North America and most of Europe during the winter months would be suck. I DON'T THINK SO.

I have watched Topgear testing the X3 which got suck everywhere on the offroad course and the hills weren't that bad. The X3 has x-drive, so maybe x-drive was only design for this type of test seen on this video and not everyday driving.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Originally posted by gjg
    somehting is fishy here - the rear wheels start turning while the brake lights are still on (Audi) .....
    You're right with that, but the the same happens with the X-drive.

Those reels are not braked so the situation is like there's no friction on the rear axel. Winter tests have showed that this is the situation when Quattro gets stuck. It would most likely take of if the handbrake is pulled a little.
    In the test report I read the X-drive also got stuck, but maybe BMW have updated their system.
    Was it in Swedish car magazine this winter when X-drive won the test before the Quattro?

This is a stupid question, but is the quattro in A8 using Torsen or Haldex?
    Last edited by mrmojo77; April 18th, 2006 at 07:29.

Originally posted by mrmojo77

Winter tests have showed that this is the situation when Quattro gets stuck.
    have not seen such test yet (did not look) \, I did however live in snow region for 10 years (snow October-April) and the only time I got stuck with quattro was when the snow was ass deep, never like this. If you loose traction you get all 4 wheels spinning but never just one axle.

A8 is quattro and as there is no 100% power transfer between front and rear - as far as I can tell this test is, IMHO, rigged ...
    Last edited by gjg; April 18th, 2006 at 08:14.

Originally posted by gjg
    have not seen such test yet (did not look) \, I did however live in snow region for 10 years (snow October-April) and the only time I got stuck with quattro was when the snow was ass deep, never like this. If you loose traction you get all 4 wheels spinning but never just one axle.

A8 is quattro and as there is no 100% power transfer between front and rear - as far as I can tell this test is, IMHO, rigged ...
    The test was in Tekniikan Maailma 03/2002, in Finnish.

The properties of Torsen differential depend on the gear angles and transmission ratio. The locking value Audi might use is somewhere about 1:3,5. This means that the power transferred by the wheels with better grip is 3,5 times the power transferred by the wheels with less grip. In extreme case when the other axel is spinning freely and therefore can't transfer any power to the road, the other axel with better grip is transferring 3,5 times the 0 and it eguals 0.

Someone here test this at home? I find it hard to believe also, but that's theory of Torsen.

Seems odd. Maybe problem is with the tires, not the AWD. But I really have no idea.
    SoCal

Current: S6 (2007), A3 2.0T (2008), RX-7 (1995)

Previous Audi: RS6 (2003)