Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $42,000 trade in?

Originally posted by Tom C
    CME4Audi's:

I believe we are very well informed group. We even have members who give us the Manheim auction prices on RS6's.

Most dealers will try to get as close to the KBB trade-in value to consumate the sale of another car. By offering $10K shy it makes me question whether the dealer knew what he was doing.

The fact that you are having problems finding a car is simple economics. Supply and demand.... there are only 1,200 of these vehicles in the US. Right now there is about roughly 40 RS6's for sale around the country.

I don't think we are off-base or blinded RS6 lovers.... my projected trade in figure stands at $50K... a couple of K's below the KBB value.

Tom
    CME4Audi's,

Since Tom C was polite, I'll be polite as well...

A reality check is more appropriate for yourself.

$10K shy of KBB? Right now KBB whole sits at $62K ($61800 to be exact) so more like the dude is offering him $20K less!

And yep, the car is hard to find. Right now an autotrader search shows only 30 in entire US for any price (which BTW, shows highest price: $77,900 [unrealistic], lowest price:$49,993 [unrealistic], average price:$65,785! A tad higher than the $42K offered, don't you think...).

If you really want to convince someone their averaged price, $65K car is worth $42K and that they should accept that figure, then you're going to have to do better than that...

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Ben:

I was referring to the KBB trade-in value (something like $52K-$53). But you hit it on the head. He wants potential RS6 sellers to soften their stance on what the car is worth. For $42K...it doesn't make sense for anyone to sell. It would take an act of desperation to part with an RS6 at that amount.

Tom

$10K shy of KBB? Right now KBB whole sits at $62K ($61800 to be exact) so more like the dude is offering him $20K less!

It would take an act of desperation to part with an RS6 at that amount.
    Ben and Tom, Well said.

Finnus
    2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue

Originally posted by Dark Knight
    It was a Mercedes dealership
    Hmmm. Wonder if this is part of the ongoing saga of perceived MB superiority.

In 1975 I walked into an MB dealership in SoCal wearing shorts and sandals. I was 30 at the time, may have looked younger, and when I asked about the cars & possibly getting a test drive, they declined; didn't take me seriously, I think, because of the way I looked. So I drove two blocks to the BMW dealer, paid cash for a new 530i and never looked back.
    Current: 09 G8 GT

Previously owned includes: 03 RS 6, 00 Audi S4, 98 Audi A4, 05 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6, 86 Buick Regal turbo, 75 BMW 530i, 7? Lotus Elite, 72 Jaguar XJ6, 71 Audi 100LS, 69 Pontiac Firebird 400, 68 Dodge Charger, 52 Triumph TR2

Car prices

I try to stay out of these discussions but I want to give you a little support. I have sold every car we owned out of my driveway. I happen to have a dealer license and Manheim is 20 minutes from my house. I get within 5% of KBB easily. Now the fact that it is a one owner, original title makes all the difference. If you take care of the car, put it up for sale and be honest. Make sure it is clean, detailed, and with absolutely no damage. If everything works, and the car looks like new (excellent condition), you will get very close to kbb. Someone looking for that car will call, and they will know you are serious. They will inspect the car and make a fair offer. I usually list a few k above kbb, and that way have some room to negotiate. If they ask what you are willing to take, be honest and just say it. If they want to haggle, just say that is the price. I have sold BMWs, MBs, Lexus, Toyotas with no problems. I have never sold an AUDI because I have leased my last two. If you want to talk to me, email me, and I will give you my number.

Good Luck,
    Noushy
    Last edited by noushy; March 7th, 2006 at 00:03.
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)

I'll give $45,000 for it. :360:

Seriously though, pics?

Green might be a color I would be interested in.

Pete

It took my barber (a total car guy) 2 years before he saw an RS6 that wasn't mine on the road. You just don't see these cars everyday and they are definitely worth keeping. But if you have to sell.......be patient and don't take the first offer made in haste.

Of course, if you find a true enthusiast, (audi preferred) then you can cut him a small discount since you'll know the car will be appreciated. (a very small discount)

any new RS6 will not have the same caliber engine as the 2003 since the co that made them (not sure of spelling) is not more!

The next RS6 may have more power and features but I think the 2003 will hold value better!

But 42 for a car like that is tooo low unless it was in an accident! Or if there's a body in the trunk.

Mike

Originally posted by Aronis
    any new RS6 will not have the same caliber engine as the 2003 since the co that made them (not sure of spelling) is not more!
    The company was Cosworth, based in England and known for their racing engines IIRC. I think I read that they were taken over or changed hands and may not be working for Audi anymore, but I don't think they went out of business. Maybe someone else can clarify?:trash:
    Current: 09 G8 GT

Previously owned includes: 03 RS 6, 00 Audi S4, 98 Audi A4, 05 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6, 86 Buick Regal turbo, 75 BMW 530i, 7? Lotus Elite, 72 Jaguar XJ6, 71 Audi 100LS, 69 Pontiac Firebird 400, 68 Dodge Charger, 52 Triumph TR2

Originally posted by JAXRS6
    The company was Cosworth, based in England and known for their racing engines IIRC. I think I read that they were taken over or changed hands and may not be working for Audi anymore, but I don't think they went out of business. Maybe someone else can clarify?:trash:
    Cosworth is owned by the partners that own Champ car. Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhovan. At the end of the 04 season Champ car was in a position that they were going to have no engine supplier so they bought the company to ensure the supply. The engines are now sealed and it's pretty much a spec engine were all teams are equal.
    Last edited by Vegasguy; March 8th, 2006 at 17:29.

$42k is a joke. Tell the dealer to pound sand. The RS6 market is pretty decent, but you have to be patient and find the right buyer for top dollar. Unfortunately, I was impatient, but I still received full wholesale ($63k) from a broker just last week.
    [b]2001 996TT[/b] - Sold
    [b]2003 RS6[/b] - Sold
    [b]2005 Escalade ESV[/b] - Grammy Edition
    [b]2005 Allroad[/b] - Slowly being modded
    [b]2006 R500[/b] - My first minivan

Audi preowned at AORH

Hello again,
    There is a 2003 Ebony Black/Black with cf, exhaust, nav, rear sensors, with 23k miles. AoRH bought the car for around $60k from Audi of America (end of lease). So if a dealer is willing to pay that much from Audi, your car should get at least $55k.

Noushy
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)

Well All...since you have decided to throw both me and reality under the bus...I suggest you buy Dark Knight's RS6 for 50-53 and resell it for a profit if you feel so sure-your accountants would have your heads! I have also yet to see a reply to my Ebay statement...not one sold for over 44k with mileage in the high 40's...not to mention the fact that in previous posts, I read he blew an axle and had several serious issues with his car. I bet you $42k that he didn't include that in his description to the dealer either. One more tidbit..there is a huge monetary difference between a car with mileage in the 20's and one in the high 40's. Most of you seem to think that this difference should be only about 5k...you are way off. Lastly, whoever your "friends" are that run Manheim for you, they must be dislexic...there going for 46k not 64k-with mileage in the low 40's. Check for yourselves...and the cars are black, not green.

CME4AUDI's:

Well... if RS6's are "worth" that much...you shouldn't have any trouble finding your buyers an RS6. Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, when did you purchase the RS6's from Manheim and what did you sell them for?

As for ebay...I wouldn't use that as the end-all-be-all of value when a car doesn't meet the reserve. 13 RS6 auctions closed on ebay this past couple of weeks (as far back as the closed listings search allowed). Only 1 RS6 actually sold through ebay, the others did not meet the reserve. The one that sold was black/black with 17,500 miles went for $65,100. Now you might say that the 1 that sold was an aberration. Let's use a similar car, a 2003 AMG E55. 11 E55 auctions closed the same period with only 1 sale. The E55 has a strong resale value (although not as strong as it once was). Also, the CLS55 had 11 auctions end with no sales. That doesn't mean that the CLS55 does not command a strong resale value in the market place. People want to touch and see these types of vehicles before they buy them. Not many cars of this type are purchased using this medium (ebay). The potential buyers may see the vehicle on ebay and contact the dealership offline and consumate the transaction away from ebay.

As for the bus...I think your approach dictated your intimate encounter with the axles and undercarriage. You came off a little abrasive and condescending (a least in my mind). You could have made your point a little bit more politely. It is all good though... I can be abrasive too at times.

Tom

Originally posted by CME4AUDI's
    Well All...since you have decided to throw both me and reality under the bus...
    It's OK guys, he is from "Cockeysville" afterall, and he's one cocky bro!

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Reality check

I purchased Dark Knight's car CPO for $54k in April of '06.

The dealer didn't hesitate at $54k, threw in satellite radio, removed the phone cradle and replaced all four tires because I didn't like them. You guess what they paid for it.

Cheers.
    Jet Black/Imola Red, No Sunroof, Ground Control Everything, Magnesium BBS, a/d/s amp/speakers
    1993 Ford F250
    250k miles, 460ci, lots of scratches and dents, hauls anything and starts everytime

Quote Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
    I purchased Dark Knight's car CPO for $54k in April of '06.

The dealer didn't hesitate at $54k, threw in satellite radio, removed the phone cradle and replaced all four tires because I didn't like them. You guess what they paid for it.

Cheers.
    Sweet. I didn't know that Dark Knight's and your cars were the same one. That makes yours and mine the only Goodwood Green RS6's on the board (that I know of). Did you buy it from the Mercedes dealer DK was refering to?

BTW, do you have any clue how many Goodwood RS6's were made? Or shipped to U.S.? How could I find this out?

P.S. There's been another Green RS6 w/silver interior for sale on Autotrader for the past month. I definitely prefer the black leather.
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

Cosworth produced the utterly awsome engine for the Ford RS cosworth's. Formula one pedigree, they did a RS500, 500bhp in a road car in the early 90's was insane that left many a stock broker dribbling through the bark of trees!

BTW, converting your prices into pounds, privately over here, a good RS6 will fetch £25-£40k and in a dealer you will not find one for under £30k. And we have more than the 1000 odd you have, so supply is probably better than over the pond, which in theory as you have all said should keep the value up over your side.
    At the end of the day, you have the car, and you can sell it to who you like for whatever price you like, with all the advice thar you have been given here, and the great community spirit shown, i think it is unlikley that you will get ripped off!

Good luck buddy
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!