Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RS4 power test

Originally posted by tailpipe
    Fab,

Your post is probably the last comment Audi wanted to see posted about the RS4. As you probably know, we were told that the reason for the delay of the RS4 was that they had experienced problems with the new engine during testing. In particular, at high revs, the cylinder head block reached such a high temperature that it reportedly started to melt.

We've heard since that Audi has "fixed" the problem. While part of the solution included a revised cylinder head design and extra cooling, I suspect that limiting top revs and power may have indeed been part of the final package to ensure reliability. Remember the problems BMW had getting 507 bhp out of the 5.0 litre V-10? It's one reason why you have a standard setting of 400 bhp and a sport button - less strain on engine - instead of 507 bhp on tap all the time. (The other reason is fuel consumption.)

Insiders elsewhere report that Audi has fixed the earlier overheating issues. Given the need to get this car to market yesterday, the fix may only be an interim measure while the engineering team develop a better technical solution.

Whatever is going on, Audi is hoping that by saying nothing the problem will go away. It wouldn't be the first car launched with power below manufacturer's claims. I think 30 bhp is significant. After all, the BMW M3 CSL honly has 17 bhp more horsepower than the standard model (360 bhp versus 343 bhp) and this makes a big difference.
    the m3 is high strung to begine with.The csl is making about 113 hp/L that 17bhp increase is huge when the car is already making over 100 hp/L

they had to use a race version ecu and air flow meter delete.That cars adjusts itself on the fly threw the ecu.There is no mass/air/hfm meter on it.

the alpha n ecu is 5 times more powerfull than the standard ecu.

and where have read about the m5 engine needing to default to 400 hp because of reliability?

I have read that this engine was spun to over 10,000 rpms on the ring during testing and had it up to 600 hp.

Id like to read up on the problems you metioned about it tho.Its the first iv heard of them using the 400 hp mode because the engine cant handle it.

hamann has a kit for the new m5 up to 603 hp with headers,chip,and cats

so it does sound like bmw was right about testing this engine up to 600 hp

here is a link to that m5 here

Originally posted by skratch
    hamann has a kit for the new m5 up to 603 hp with headers,chip,and cats

so it does sound like bmw was right about testing this engine up to 600 hp

here is a link to that m5 here [/B]
    I'd still like to see the dyno plots on that one.

Well, I have seen automatic S4 0-100 at 6.8s. It's not too good for 340hp I can't understand why Audi loose so much power with auto trans.

Well I went and saw my car today and one look at it, and all is forgiven. All the performance figures and reviews i've seen so far suggest it's very fast, so I'm not bothered. I wonder how far it can be tuned?

Originally posted by CarbonFibre
    I'd still like to see the dyno plots on that one.
    same here,120 hp/l is something bmw should have no problems getting out of this engine.

I mean its torque peak is at 6100 stock

just emagine shifting it over to 7000 with a chip headers and race cats

should be able to come close to those figures.