Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rs6 in snow

rs6 in snow

How does your rs6 run in the winter/snow and do you put different tires on? My rs6 is horrible on snow and i my guess its all the power and the factory performance tires. What are some good all season tires that would not completely comprise performance and would be good in both summer and winter? Thanks for the help guys.

Dan

My RS6 doesn't do as well as I'd hope in the snow, and I'm almost positive it's the tires. Some U.S. magazine recently praised Blizzaks for having great grip in the dry as well as great traction in the snow.

WTF? You have to have tires for winter and summer? You can't say you don't have money to buy after RS6???

Originally posted by Speedou
    WTF? You have to have tires for winter and summer? You can't say you don't have money to buy after RS6???

I just do not like to deal with hassle of storing tires and changing them every year. I would rather just leave on set on that is okay in both summer and winter. I do not do any serious cornering or driving on the street so 100% performance tires are not necessary. Money is not the issue here obviously.

Fair question.
    Changing and/or storing tires is a pain.
    A decent tire for performance but with some security in Winter is nice if your not interested in changing tires OR, not transfixed into the best performance in all seasons but want a good balance and convenience of a single set.
    I have some version of Michelin Pilots on a '91 200 which seem to do well in all conditions for what the car is meant for - to me. I picked them from the Tire Rack website and their rating scheme - I don't know how subjective it might be but once again, I have not been dissapointed as they were rated very high for Winter.
    I have the top end Pilots on another car and the website indicated that the Winter rating is - NA. They're right, the car can't move (I mean at all) on a 1/2" of snow.
    I might try their website and ratings unless, you get some better first hand experience here.
    JP

2 good choices

You can run your stock sizes 255/40 18:

1. Michelin Pilot A/S

Ran them on my 996 Turbo - they were fine in light snow, and decent in dry and wet.

2. Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S

Ran them on my SL55. They were OK in light snow, and quite good in dry and wet.

For the RS6, I run Dunlop Winter M3's and they are awesome in the snow, and very good in dry and wet compared to the stock Dunlop 9000s.

Cheers
    NWRS6
    2004 RS6 - GIAC Engine/Tip Chip, Hyperboost valves, & BMC air filters = 520hp + 530 ft/lb torque
    2006 997 C4S - BMC filter, factory Sport Exhaust & Aerokit (slower than RS6 but handles much better)

Past cars:
    2004 SL55
    2003 996TT
    2003 SL500
    2003 E500
    2002 X5 4.6
    2001 996 C4
    2000 Boxster
    1998 540i
    etc. etc.

If you live where there's snow, at least 1 month of the year, and you plan on running your RS6 on the white stuff, you have to get All Season tires or at the very least dedicated Winter setup.

I have Dunlop WinterSport M3s for the Winter on the stock rims.
    I run Michelin Pilot Sport II from end of April unti beginning of October. Without a Winter setup, you are asking for trouble.
    I run 255x40x18 WinterSport M3s.

You are in Chicago? Please get snow tires. It has nothing to do with performance driving and everything to do with safety. The phrase "all-season tire" is an oxymoron. Sorry to sound harsh, but if you're driving an RS6, surely you must understand this...

Dunlop M3's are pretty decent. Ideally your snows should be narrower than summers - 225 better than 255.

The RS understeers like a pig in snow, but this is easily solved with even small applications of throttle - instant oversteer!
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

Why don't you bring your car to an garage and let the tires mount by mechanics?
    In Germany you pay about 10€ for this.
    Maybe they'll do it for free.

Originally posted by eazy
    Why don't you bring your car to an garage and let the tires mount by mechanics?
    In Germany you pay about 10€ for this.
    Maybe they'll do it for free.
    Wow, thats nuts!! In chicago at least, the cheapest is about $125 to mount 4 tires. Maybe this is just my area or the low profile tires. In fact, my dealer would probably charge 200.

I thought the rs6 would be fine in the snow because both my M5 and 745 are okay in the snow with stock tires so i figured rs6 would be but i guess tires are different. Anyways, I will probably just get a dedicated set of winter tires or maybe all season depending on when guy at tirerack says. Who is a good contact at tirerack for the rs6?

Interesting thread, I live in So Cal so snow is not a problem, but I take 3-5 trips to ski resorts and they require either 4 wheel snow tires or chains. Last year I bought a set of Spikes Spiders snow chains and used them several time. Installed on the rear tires I have excellent results in snow and ice. I was moving well with large SUV's were struggling - I have been debating a 4 wheel snow tire set up, but I am concerned about tire life if I left the snows on during the warm winter days we get in LAjavascript:smilie('')
    big grin

Originally posted by AMG EATR
    Wow, thats nuts!! In chicago at least, the cheapest is about $125 to mount 4 tires. Maybe this is just my area or the low profile tires. In fact, my dealer would probably charge 200.

Damn i think i want to be an mechanic in chicago.
    Only changing tires all the day.
    125$ for 4 tires. 8 tires an hour. 8 hours an day. Thats 2000$ a day. And about 500k a year.

Yes i found my next job

Last year thru Tire Rack I purchased Dunlop Wintersport M3's mounted on AT Italia S5's. Drove the car up to Vermont for skiing in snowy conditions, as well as driving daily to/from work in many snowstorms. Car handled beautifully - the only issue was the low ground clearance which would make it difficult above, say, 6 - 8 inches of snow. The recommended tire size (per Audi as well as Tire Rack) is 225/45/18's - theory is that you want a narrower tire to avoid a plowing effect. I would strongly suggest investing in snows.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Nene is right - you will have snow in Chicago and there is no good all season tire for rs6 ....

I also have Dunlop WinterSport M3s for the Winter on bbs rims and, as Nene, same sized 255x40x18.

I run Dunlop Sp9000 (19" stock) from beginnig of April until mid-November (depending on weather). When s**t gets deep, I'll take management's Jeep. .

Without a Winter setup in your area, you are asking for trouble.

"In 255/40ZR18 I would run the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season."

Emailed tirerack and they say get Michelin Pilot Sport All Season for 261/tire, which is expensive. Would these be reasonable in snow or should i just go with snow tires?

For the RS6, I also run Dunlop Winter M3's in 225/45-18 on stock 9-spoke wheels.

For RS6 tire needs, I call Neal at Tire Rack: 888-981-3953 x624.

Swapping winter to summer or back is about $30 at the local tire shop here in rural Wisconsin.
    GoFastKindaGuy
    '18 McLaren 720S, '18 Audi R8 V10 Plus, '18 Porsche Turismo Sport Turbo, '12 Cayenne Turbo, '04 Carrera GT

gotta have snows

Originally posted by gjg
    Nene is right - you will have snow in Chicago and there is no good all season tire for rs6 ....

Without a Winter setup in your area, you are asking for trouble.
    In Indiana, we get plenty of COLD weather, and occasional heavy snow that can last on the pavment for 10 days, turning to ice as it gets packed down, and sometimes it rains and freezes, then snows on top.

All reasons to have snow tires. The high perf tires are stiff at these temps, not designed for the job. Not to mention no siping to grip into snow.

As I have just gotten my Abt summer wheels, I wlll get my summer tires next spring on my 19 inch wheels.

In the meantime, the RS6 is parked on the stock wheels with the stocl summer tires. and the old V8 on Blizzaks, or the A6 4.2 on winter SnowSports take the job. The occasional warm spell in winter is enough to get the RS6 out to warm up and circulate the fluids. About a 24 mile circuit I have laid out on back roads for warmup, and interstate to finish at speed, then home.

Tonight it is snowing heavily, so I am glad I made that circuit last night.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

Originally posted by AMG EATR
    "In 255/40ZR18 I would run the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season."

Emailed tirerack and they say get Michelin Pilot Sport All Season for 261/tire, which is expensive. Would these be reasonable in snow or should i just go with snow tires?
    IMHO you're still compromising to much for the Chicago area. I would go with the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's or Blizzak's in the 225/45/18 fitment. Tires and wheels should be cheaper too. That's a win/win as far as I'm concerned. Especially if your beast is your everyday driver.

JP4