Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M5 vs. RS6 vs. M3 CSL

Had a "real world" experience with new E60 M5 this evening in my stock 2003 rs6 (13.02 sec 1/4 mile).

I knew the driver of the V10 M5.

I can report that from standing start to 130 kph (75 mph) both very even with very slight edge to the M5.

Out of respect for our licences and other road users, although not many around, did not go much past that speed.

M5 has awesome banshee scream from V10 exhaust. very impressive car. Combined almost 1000hp between two cars is astounding when you think about it.

Given that E60 M5 is state of the art normally aspirated car and RS6 is 2 years old, I am very pleased with the RS6.

I and the

rs6 catches up with e60m5!

in reality! my rs6 have several matches with e60m5 & m6(of my friends)

chipped,bmc filter, milltek full exhaust rs6 is even with e60m5 to 250km/h....and m5 is faster by 3~4 cars at above speed to 320km/h.

e39m5 and stock rs6 is approximately same to 200km/h..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	special1132889038.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	3384  
    03 rs6 wetterauer ecu & tcu chip
    95 e36 m3
    2001 be a4 1.8t
    98 e36 m3
    99 e39 m5
    02 e46 m3

Apologies for the double post.

I never said the RS6 was "catching up" the E60M5.

I was surprised that with the extra 57 bhp the M5 did not destroy the RS6.

I know from road tests and as per Avus RS6 post on the www.M5Board.com that the M5 will make toast of stock RS6 on 1/4 mile- 12.57 secs.

However on the street, launch control is critical and if M5 driver stuffs it up he will not shake the RS6 at the relatively low speeds of which I spoke.

On launch the RS6 is relatively idiot proof. Just nail it- no tyre spin and away you go.

The comparison of modded RS6 with M5 and M6 provided by Kyokomo is nuch appreciated.

The M6 has been getting rave reviews in Australia, but not many around here unfortunately.

regards,
    john

I was hoping to find some insight here rather than kill stories or opinions, but no one seems to have driven the e60 M5. Until then, I will reserve any judgment. Both are fantastic cars and each has their strengths and flaws. My first hunch would be that the M5 out handles any car with four doors. The same cannot be said of the RS6. BUT – I cannot say this for sure until I actually have the opportunity to drive one. I for one, am looking forward to seeing what the M5 is all about because it will give an idea of what Audi will need to do to retake the super saloon platform.

james
    Last edited by highrustler; December 6th, 2005 at 02:43.

Thumbs up

We rs6 owners are in the fortunate position that avus rs6 can provide a hands on experience of both cars handling, should he so wish to.

His post on the m5 board was very informative on the straight line performance of the m5 and its launch characteristics.

I personally am not in the market for a m5 as I am not a fan of its current styling, fine car that it is.

Do keep in mind that we are looking at 2003 super saloon versus 2005 super saloon. I too look forward to the 2007

Well, here is a line that I copied from one of AvusRS6 posts over on the M5 board:

"The M5, above 5K RMP, constantly pulls and before you know it we were doing 105 MPH. Handling is out of this world, almost should be illegal for a sedan."

james

M5 and M6 handels very well indead even they are porky. But its all relative to what compered. M5/6 is far from...throw me in to the corners and around as the CSL are. But no one is surprised of it being that way i gues. Pork is the worst enemy a car have when it come to handeling. The new BMW are extremly fast and when they change gears at fastest mode it relly snap your neck whit a loud bang, you just got to love it fore that.

First timers driving it in fastest mode is relly up fore a suprise when it change gears.

Search forum for,

I drove M6

if intressted there are some of my impressions fore what they are worth.
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Thanks for the nice words guys

More videos will come this spring.

James - Let us know if you drive an e60 M5 at our altitudes. I'm curious about the power loss and the (presumably) closer performance of the RS6 because of the turbos.