Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotors and Pads...who has had it done and at what mileage?

Rotors and Pads...who has had it done and at what mileage?

Just trying to get an idea of what I should have expected.

I have 28,000 miles on the car and the brake pad warning light is on. I noticed that the pads were about 1/2 worn a few months ago and called to have the dealer look my car over since the rotors are very worn as well.

This is the first car I have had which needs new rotors!!!!!!!!! Pads at 50,000 has been typical for my cars, although my wife's Maxima need new pads all around at 12,000 miles....that was a surprise...

Anyway, who has had new brakes?

Mike

I've gone through three sets of pads (Pagid Blue, Black, and Grey) and my rotors will need to be replaced soon. My stock pads are about 1/2 down. The cracks on my rotors are starting to join and are working their way to the outer rim. One more track day and they'll be all done.

I'm at 21K miles... FUN miles.

Joe
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Pads:

Front: $361.08
    Rear" $80.00

Rotors:

Front: $473 EACH
    Rear $382 EACH

Not a huge price considering I paid $200 for pads for a 2003 Nissan Maxima!

But those rotors....wearing so quickly???

I am not sure if they are "In Spec", they may still be.

Mike

Originally posted by Aronis

But those rotors....wearing so quickly???

I am not sure if they are "In Spec", they may still be.
    Mike
    Hello there Aronis ,

Had my pads replaced after @12K and also had the Rotors "resurfaced". The rotors did not need a full replacement. I would think that unless you really abuse your Beast (or do a lot of tracking) you shouldn't need new rotors just yet, but you never know.

As JJV-MA mentioned, he's at less miles than you, but he also tracks his Beast more than ANY other member here!

I don't remember you mentioning if you tracked your Beast often but in my experience (6 track days, which is far less than JJV-MA's) pads have been the only thing so far that needed replacing although I will probably be needing new pads again soon (@31K).

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

never tracked.

never raced.

Just regular commuting to work...

Yes, I suspect the 'resurfacing' will be all that is needed.

I am heading to the dealer on Monday for a quick looksee..

Mike

Originally posted by Aronis

I am heading to the dealer on Monday for a quick looksee..

Mike
    Keep us posted.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Aronis
    I had 29500 on the odo and my pads/rotors were pretty noisy unwarmed coming to a stop. Dealer did a service and replaced both the rotors and pads!!
    Like butter again! Had just a couple laps at the track and then normal street stuff. 2 cross country jaunts.
    Still love this car
    FEVR

Originally posted by RS6FEVR
    Still love this car

FEVR
    FEVR

One of the "Founding Fathers" returns! How are you?

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Rotors and Pads ....

Ben
    Thanks and hello back to you (I think) from a "founding father"!!! As I stated, I still love this car, 31k and all. I've been around, just haven't had time to add anything really constructive. Always have appreciated this forum (gave Erik a little donation to revamp the site) and really enjoy looking back at how much this site meant to me (and us) as our beasts were being built. Between IL where I drive and keep the RS and AZ where I drive my Vette, I am thankful for the opportunities I've been given. The posts from you and the rest of this board have been most helpful to me.
    I'm around and glad to reply if any information ever needed.
    Regards
    FEVR

Aronis, who is saying the rotors neead to change?
    In what way are they whorn out? Do it feel strange or?so on.

In Sweden its sorry to say very common that Brand workshops like Audi, BMW and MB and more is telling their customers they must change rotors when they change pads. Often they just say the rotors are whorn down or out. And most take thier word for it, cuse they feel they trust the lokal audi or bmw shop or whatever. In this way they make much money in spare parts selling.
    I cant say whats the case is whit you rotor, it may be gone or not .

But i would not listen to any of these guys, many times they have tried to fool me, but they quickley give upp when the undertand i know about things.

Its printed on the rotor how much its minimum allowens is, its very easy to check if above it or undet this tolerans. Just use(dont know the word in english) micrometer that you scru on the rotor to you get the exakt mesurments. Check this in the outer iner and mid sections of rotor.(or just below the outer edge)

You cant check it whit the other tool, it has to be micrometer to show exakt mm that is scrued on rotor( not the one you push to se the mm. If you are not under minimum allowens you are just fine.

# to use of just 0,1 mm of a rotor takes time or hard driving, its hard material.
    At the ring i drove 2000km on the track for 14 days in my CSL and it hardly come down anything even having race carbo pads on.
    The singel pistons caliper on CSL tends to were out more on the outer and iner on the rotor, im not sure this is the case whit the RS6 8 piston caliper#
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Re: Rotors and Pads ....

Originally posted by RS6FEVR
    I've been around, just haven't had time to add anything really constructive.
    As if I do! I just type to hear myself speak... so to speak.

Originally posted by 8:05 RS6
    Often they just say the rotors are whorn down or out. And most take thier word for it, cuse they feel they trust the lokal audi or bmw shop or whatever. In this way they make much money in spare parts selling.
    There's some truth to that. Especially when the stealer (as gjg likes to call them ), knows that AOA is flipping the bill. That way, since there is no cost out of pocket to the customer, they are more easily convinced. But as Gote mentions, there are ways to measure so you can know if the dealer is being honest or not.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Originally posted by Benman
    Hello there Aronis ,

Had my pads replaced after @12K and also had the Rotors "resurfaced". The rotors did not need a full replacement. I

Ben

Ben,

The dealer actually resurfaced your rotors????? Are they sick or something that is a big NO NO, on these types of rotors. My dealer will not resurface rotors I know because I had a whole bunch of problems with my S8 with squealing and even though they REPLACED the rotors once in the front and once in the back, I remember the service manager said they are not allowed by Audi to resurface.

Bajo
    2007 Audi S8 (daytona/black)
    2005 Mercedes G55 (designo graphite)

Originally posted by Bajors6
    dealer actually resurfaced your rotors????? Are they sick or something that is a big NO NO, on these types of rotors. My dealer will not resurface rotors ...
    Bajo, what is the problem with resurfacing rotors?

I'd partially understand why Audi may not want to do that for some "legal" reasons, dealer's reasons are obvious.

I'll post some pictures.

I also wanted to measure the thickness, but did not have a chance yet.....

Tonight I pull a wheel off and check it out.

I just don't have any experience with a rotor wearing like this!

It's probably still "In Spec".....

Mike

brake specs

here are the specs....

a' measuring I shall go.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brake-specs.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	3203  

Originally posted by gjg
    Bajo, what is the problem with resurfacing rotors?

I'd partially understand why Audi may not want to do that for some "legal" reasons, dealer's reasons are obvious.
    Legal reason's there isnt any, I was told that Audi does not allow the resurfacing of any rotor that has that type of braking package as warping will occur. Cross drilled rotors should NOT be put on a brake lathe. Due to the fact they will get the cooling cross drilled holes damaged and plugged.
    If they are within spec they can be reused, if they are damaged, ie warped they have to be replaced.
    Ben, are you sure they reusrfaced them I cannot believe that, sometimes their brake package on a R.O just states that as a part of a generic description for what they did, if they did reusrface them, I am amazed that they are OK. Either way you have warranty so if an issue should arise you are covered.
    Being in the auto repair business and having worked for dealers, this wa just the practice we would follow. I personally do not like "turning" rotors unless they are on a Ford Crown Victoria or the like. The rotors we have on our car's are a different breed and design. Believe whom you want , but this is not soemthing I would like to play around with.
    I am out of town for the rest of the week, all of you guys have a great week and weekend, Aronis good luck to you and your brakes.
    Bajo
    2007 Audi S8 (daytona/black)
    2005 Mercedes G55 (designo graphite)

Ben,

The dealer actually resurfaced your rotors????? Are they sick or something.
    Sick, no. Crazy, maybe...crazy like a FOX!

I can't really understand why a dealer wouldn't resurface, other than socking AOA with a bigger bill by replacing the rotors! What's wrong with grinding off the build up from the defective first set of pads I had on there? A mild resurface was all it needed in my car's case, not replacement rotors. In other owners cases, I'm sure there might be different needs, but in mine, it was all it took, that with a new set of pads and the brakes were better than ever.

Even the brake "squeal" that a lot of us owners complain about was (and still is) much better.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Ben, are you sure they reusrfaced them...
    Yes Sir, saw the fresh grind marks myself. As above, just a mild resurfacing, and brakes are well within spec.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan