Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RNS-E Navigation system going in soon

Nene,
    OK I am gonna start looking tommorow for a Nav plus system !
    Thank you NENE for rousing my interest in yet another mod for the beast, actually I dont mind one bit as this one is definately a KEEPER!

I can attest to the phatbox I had it in my previous monster it is way kewl.
    But the MP3 cards should be great.
    Nene sorry to ask if you can PM me with what I should expect to pay for the unit that would be great and also where you got yours.

Bajo
    2007 Audi S8 (daytona/black)
    2005 Mercedes G55 (designo graphite)

I am not a shill for any of the sellers on e-bay, but here is a listing for one currently for sale that works in the RS-6 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...0819QQrdZ1This is a European model, but can be fairly easily modified to US standards with a software update. I did it myself with the help of the NAV-PLUS website, not too hard. It is a much more economical way to go over buying a US unit.

The other thing that you need to get is a connecting harness, but there are several providers of those, cost about $125 or so. If your RS-6 has the Symphony II radio now with the Satellite button on the radio, your car is pre-wired for the Sat module, which is a very simple install.

The whole works should not cost you more than $1500, including the Sat module.

Good luck!

Sorry, couldn't get the link to work. Just go to E-Bay and look for item #7998160819.
    Last edited by mbrooks1956; September 13th, 2005 at 04:31.

Mbrooks,

Thank's for the info I will look into it.

Bajo

Here is a list of things you need:

RNS-E unit: This you can get from a local dealership, or Clairparts, but expect to pay a bit of a premium. Part number for us unit is 4B0 035 192 R . You can also get the European unit, part number 4B0 035 192 P , and simply modify. Not that hard to do in fact.
    You can actually buy these units from a fellow NavPlus.us poster from much cheaper than what the dealers will sell. Check the For Sale section of the site, and locate user 'powertony'. I know he can get the units very cheap. This did not come to my attention until recently, and unfortunately too late.

XM module: this one's up to you. I just got it from dealership.
    XM part number: 8E0 057 593 E
    Sirius part number: 8E0 057 593 D

Click for all part numbers!

Collection of lots of great information!

Wiring kits in the US (need to use PayPal) and more:
    1A. If you wish to use the current antenna, you need to pull the wire to the front. Use this wiring kit.
    1B. If you wish to use a new antenna, use this wiring kit.
    2. 50Ohm to Fakra adapter.
    3. Radio removal keys.
    4. RNS-E adapter with Bose, with Phone, and with CD Changer. Even if you don't have a CD Changer now, it will allow you to have it if you plan in the future. Might as well get the right wire this time.

There is a DVD that you need to order from NavTeq. 888-628-6277.

Installations that can be used for guidance.
    1. B6 S4
    2. AllRoad
    3. A6 (no pix)

More tips:
    1. Vag Coding Required
    2. Retrofit Basics
    3. Install Tips
    4. Kala news
    5. Vag channel coding
    6. Symphony II removal
    7. VAG tool images for setup.

Last edited by nene; September 23rd, 2005 at 19:16.

Nene,

Thanks for all the info it has been saved and I will start looking into getting the unit ASAP.

Keep us informed of your project I am sure I will have many more questions for you when I get started on mine !
    Hopefully I wont be too much of a bother due to the fact you ALWAYS outline all your projects to a "t" !

Bajo

OK I HAVE HAD IT.

NENE, PUT TOGETHER PACKAGES FOR 10 UNITS FOR US.....all in one box.....

LOL....

AND COME INSTALL IT FOR ME....

This is a FUN MOD......

I gotta do it.....

LOL

:trash:

I'd be happy to travel and help out if need be.
    Feel free to ask away. Any questions you might have I will be happy to help.

I'm getting pix of removal of seats and center console from the RS6 CD manual, and I will also post those in case folks wish to use the default antenna in the rear.

Wish I could buy units for all. They would make wonderful XMas presents.

In a couple of days I will be going to the electronics store to see if I can get any sort of wire wrapping goodies too. Just to make sure nothing gets exposed either. Will post more info as I get it.

BTW...if you PM user Proxus on the NavPlus.us site, he can get the original DVD Maps for cheaper than NavTeq.

Hey Nene,

Unfair, you're in Boston and have access to lots of nice electronics stores.

We have Radio Shack, and that's it!

LOL....

My wife's new Tribeca has the DVD nav, its a fun Toy....you'll love it I am sure.

Mike

If I find what I want in the electronics store, I'll buy extra and send it to you Mike...no charge!

Cant wait to see your writeup!! Although I am guessing this will be a little more involved and much more expensive than the RS6+ pedal mod.

My checkbook (and paypal) await the hit!

I have been wanting to do this for the last year and even considered aftermarket, but I too want the stock look more than anything.

Update 1 - September 16, 2005

I was able to track the GPS antenna just fine within the roof liner. Simply removing the rear interior light assembly attached to the liner (easy job), immediately showed the wires wrapped in foam, and attached to the car's roof with tape. Remove tape and foam, and have 2 wires. One for GPS and the other for XM. Need to see how to I can get to it and route it to the driver's side of the rear pillar. I think that is the way it is going anyway. Will do more tonight.

As for the XM module, I have un-hooked the rear trunk panels on both sides. I have yet to find the XM module on there. Should have been in the driver's side, but guess it is not.

On a side note, I've found the Lojak system though. I thought these things were suppose to be hidden somewhere. Maybe I should not post this info here.

On a side note, I've found the Lojak system though. I thought these things were suppose to be hidden somewhere. Maybe I should not post this info here.

HEHEHHEHHEHE,

I am watching you Faulker !
    Better a Lojak than a Kojak !

Bajo

Originally posted by Bajors6
    HEHEHHEHHEHE,

I am watching you Faulker !
    Better a Lojak than a Kojak !

Bajo
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Update 2 - September 17, 2005

Please see below for teaser pic.
    Keep in mind that the unit is not fully in place. It is currently sticking out by about 1+ inch (3cm). Just testing it before I put it all in place.
    Things like the antenna is the hard part. The splicing of the wires was the easy part. The instrument cluster is not bad. All you need to do is remove one of the connectors, and still enough space to fish through the GALA wire. I went with 18AWG wire, but 22AWG should have been just fine.

Sound:
    I put a CD in, and the sound is a whole lot better than the Symphony II unit. Just for the sound alone, I think this unit might be just worth it. Heck, it's not a kick arse aftermarket system, but it was quite an upgrade.

Navigation:
    I'm still not sure if it is all in place. When I left my garage to turn on the unit (garage is underground), the navigation portion seems to work just fine. I choose English (accept button), and I was done. At least I think. When I chose to go to Clair Audi Service, it gave me the route on the screen, and it recognizes that I'm in Boston. However, when I check Nav-Info, it tells me that I'm not on a digitized road. Not sure what that means. Will check with the fellows on NavPlus.us to make sure all is good.

Vagging:
    I did not seem to need any of it. I did go into the Instrument Cluster module, and set it accordingly, but it seemed to be working before. I'll probably leave it outside overnight after I'm done putting it all back.

Miscellaneous:
    This darn thing is hot looking!!! Can't believe I really waited this long. Big bucks for sure, but I have to admit that it does make the car more luxuriously looking on the inside.

Some installation hints:
    1. A couple of the installations I used as guidance, fall a little short. I've had to read them at least 5 times to make sure I was doing it correctly. As far as the wires for the GALA work, the instructions are spot on, and without any issues. One of the things the instructions seem to fall short on is the GPS antenna part. This is why I'm not sure I've done this correctly yet, but will check. Knowing this, I'll make sure to not make the same mistake on my write up.

Sorry if the pix is not the best. Will post more soon.

However, when I check Nav-Info, it tells me that I'm not on a digitized road. Not sure what that means.
    DVD map you have does not have current location in database ....

Thanks gjg. That is still strange though, as I was on a major road in Boston. Will run some more testing today.

The XM Module is between the outside fender wall and the back side of the CDchanger/tool box tray mount.

There is ONE screw to remove, and then the unit and it's mounting bracket UNHOOK from two metal hooks, and it comes out. You have to work the angles to get it to come out tipping it so that the rear end of it goes up and the front end down, if I recall correctly. I installed my own, and recently had it out to connect my IPOD to it!

The NAV Unit is sweet.

I had my first drive with a car with a nav unit this weekend. My wifes new Tribeca has one, but I guess there is a place next to the BIG BEATING ROOM FOR MOTOROLLA ENGINEERS for a beating room for the Subara NAV Engineers. Boy do these guys drive and actually use a nav system!?!??!? Some of the functions just are poorly done in the Subaru unit.

Just curious, does the AUDI Nav unit ask you to click I AGREE with the disclaimer ever time you turn the car on?????

I am going to do a pass on such an expensive toy, after the weekend in the Tribeca, I know I can live without the $4000.00 back seat driver.

Mike:trash:

nene,

Looked at the pic and I agree that it does spruce up the cabin. It's starting to look very

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan