Thread: Difficult choice: new S6 or RS4

Difficult choice: new S6 or RS4

Both the new S6 and RS4 will have 420-450 bhp. The S6 will have a V10 engine and be a little heavier and more practical. The RS4 will be just a little more focused and performance oriented. But it should be pretty close.

I have to admit that the new S6 looks like it'll be a sensational car. i love the new A6 Avant. The driving position and ergonomics are excellent. It also has a very decent amount of loadspace.

Currently in Switzerland and everyone is driving A6 Avants. Quattro in the snow makes perfect sense.

Longitudinally-mounted DSG in the RS4 Avant would clinch it for me. However, I think this is unlikely. My mole in Ingolstadt tells me it doesn't fit.

Will we get longitudinal DSG in the S6. For sure, but not immediately.

If you have a family, and want to take it with you , than in my opinion the A6 Avant is the better option.

But for fun, in my mind, the RS4 is the better one.

Originally posted by eazy

But for fun, in my mind, the RS4 is the better one.
    Ditto.

If you're a big guy and have a couple of kids, then the S6. If you're about my size and only have one kid, I'd go with the RS 4.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Re: Difficult choice: new S6 or RS4

Originally posted by tailpipe
    Will we get longitudinal DSG in the S6. For sure, but not immediately.
    DSG for me, thanks. The RS4 with the manny tranny would be just fine. But if you have multiple drivers as I do, some not manual savvy, then DSG is a gotta have.

Nice thing is that with the high power cars like the R10 running a DSG, there should be no excuse for some of that technology not to be a direct transfer to either the S6, or to the next RS6, not to mention the R9.

It's a Wonderful (Audi) World.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

20 some liters more fuel in S6 tank too .....

I would go for the RS4, because i guess it will be faster to drive and i like that A4 model (B7) better than the current A6. The SFG fits 100% perfect on the RS4, it is like the car is shaped around the grill.

And they're both 4door sedans, what means they're both practical
    The best Audi is the Gallardo :D

I am of course biased with RS4 on order - but I would probably not take the new S6 Avant anyway based on the likely spec unless test drive would really turn my head. Moderately powered with a Tip. Pretty cool by the looks of it especially as Avant - but not as cool as S8 or RS4. And it will be north of 2 tonne in Avant guise and you may well find especially larger S cars way too soft & refined after having owned a M3. If you need the space and can afford to be patient, then why not wait for the M5 Touring or - indeed - the upcoming RS6 Avant.

The new S6 all the way.

wfg, Hans.

You guys are killing me! Just as I convince myself that the RS4 is the choice for me, you go and start stoking my doubt with talk of the new S6. I have an 02 S6 avant and despite my RS6-envy it's been a pure pleasure to own it.

Question: has Audi decided on an S6 Avant for the US again? And, initial guess as timing for the US market?

Thanks for stirring the pot, Tailpipe!

Sorry rheudabaga, but at least we're spoilt for choice!

Not so long ago the only Quattro was the Coupe. And the only RS was the RS2. Today, we've got S4s and RS4s, S6s and RS6s, and as many Quattros as you could ever need.

Back to the question RS4 or S6? I agree that the S6 is likely to be much more practical, especially if you've got kids - I have two gorgeous little girls. But my M3 replacement needs only to be more practical than a 3-Series coupe, so the RS4 is not yet out of the running because it is an estate with 4 doors. (Wife wants Mercedes M-Class or Lexus RX400h, but I've said no way.)

I have to say that if RS4 Avant had arrived in September as orginally anticipated, I'd be driving it now. I can't believe that we've still not had sight of the production version yet. I'll see both the RS4 Avant and S6 Avant in the flesh at the Geneva show in March and tell you what my choice is then.

Hans, why is the S6 a slam dunk for you, then?

I can't believe that we've still not had sight of the production version yet.
    What about this:

Well, now that we see the next S6, it certainly makes it a tough choice. S6 would have been a slam dunk with DSG. As it is, it's a toss up. (Likewise, RS4 avant in the US is a slam dunk).

End of the day:

If wife gets a Honda Pilot, I go with the S6.

If wife gets the Audi Q7, I wo with the RS4.

I don't commute everyday, so besides running errands around town, the main driving I do is to our family's cities which are 2 1/2 drives. I don't want to be stuck driving a Pilot (fine car) on those drives and I would if I got an RS4 cuz it's too small for the kids and gear.