Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RNS-E Navigation system going in soon

Hey Peter, how much was the US spec unit?????

Thanks

And part numbers please.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

The US Unit part number is in my write up. I got it from my Clair dealership for around $3K I think. Sorry can't remember the exact price.

The XM module was around $400, also purchased from my Clair dealership, and part number in the write up.

Originally posted by nene
    The US Unit part number is in my write up. I got it from my Clair dealership for around $3K I think. Sorry can't remember the exact price.

The XM module was around $400, also purchased from my Clair dealership, and part number in the write up.
    Thanks! I will check with Clair parts. I thought someone had said 350 to 400 for the XM module.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

does anyone know for sure what happens if you DON"T connect the GALA wire?

I assume it is to let the system know if you are moving and thus not allow programing a destination. If so, what if you leave it disconnected or supply plus one volt to it..to fool the system.

Mike
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Mike,

Without the GALA wire, the NAV unit will only update your position on the map once every 10-30 seconds. With the GALA wire attached, your position moves along as you move.

I first installed the unit without the GALA wire and everyting worked fine, just the little arrrow on the map that signifies your position jumped every 10-15 sec as it re-sync'd with the satellites.
    Once I attached the wire, everything worked great.

Sorry I didnt see your earlier post, looks like nene answered you. His writeup was excellent and he did include part numbers. I also sourced at Clair and paid $3239.73 for the RNS-E and the XM was $350.00
    2008 Sprint Blue/Silver RS4 Cabriolet, 2009 Space Gray/Tobacco BMW X5 Xdrive35d
    2010 R8 V10 Velvet Purple/Alabaster White-Black

$3200 buys a lot of paper maps..

What a huge difference compaired to the Re=Programmed European model.....what is the advantage on the US model?

Mike

Back when I purchased my US unit, European units were harder to come by, and the deal was not as great as it is now.
    The US units come with 1 year warranty. They are perfect from factory.
    The European units can be reprogrammed, and you get what you pay for. Most of the ones I've seen seem new, so it's your call. I enjoy paying a bit more, for the peace of mind it offers.

US model has warranty (1yr)

No real cosmetic difference except US model has "CD/SD" button and Euro has "CD/TV" button.

Sounds like reprogramming units is pretty straight-forward, but I was more concerned about getting a dead unit, messing up the software, etc.

This was NOT a cheap project going with all new equipment, but it was worth it for me.

Now I have to get the bluetooth project going.
    2008 Sprint Blue/Silver RS4 Cabriolet, 2009 Space Gray/Tobacco BMW X5 Xdrive35d
    2010 R8 V10 Velvet Purple/Alabaster White-Black

HELP>>>OK I need help with this thing, but maybe it is going to fix itself....mine is doing exactly what yours was Nene in one of your first posts about your install, that it shows where I am, will determine the route to an inputed location, updates my location slowly when I am moving, but when I put in a destination it says that I am not on a digitized road and that it cannot update my route...is this going to fix itself?? Also it does not accept my input for the map view to display in my current direction of travel, always shows map with north up and to the right about 15 degrees. I've selected each option under that menu (north, auto, and current direction, but does not change other than going to true north with the north setting.

This thing does look great though, still need to dismantle trunk to get new XM module in tomorrow.

I will say my install was even easier that what everybody has described as my old symphony came right out and the cluster screws were not difficult to pop loose. I was able to not remove the knee bolster and feed wires through to the radio opening as everybody has from behind the cluster so saved time there not unscrewing panels. I was also able to just pull cluster out on the left side, unhook just the blue connector, rotate the whole thing perpendicular to the dash and put a towel over it (and under it to protect steering column) and work on and behind it without removing it to get the GPS antennea in place in the little cubby and run the GALA wire. Only part that I may have screwed up is that I read two different recommendations on GALA wire size and I picked the bigger one not understanding how small the wire is that I am tapping into. We need to make it clear to use a 20-22 ga wire and tap, which Nene's write-up says but not as clearly as maybe it needs to. With the mismatched wire sizes I am not sure the tap I used (too big) properly connected into the cluster wire. But I cannot tell since the unit doesn't seem to be responding fully yet. Will be easy to get back in to fix it since only need to screw with the cluster end again, I will just splice a smaller wire on to the end of the one I have running through the dash (unless that would affect the readings????). The hardest part is getting the new unit into the dash...was nearly impossible, as I reallllllly had to press as hard as I could on the edges to get it to latch in place and no way to tell if I was mashing the wires and adapters out of the way enough in the back. I don't think anyone's hands are small enough to help push them down out of the way while sliding it into place.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible

Originally posted by PeterH
    US model has warranty (1yr)

No real cosmetic difference except US model has "CD/SD" button and Euro has "CD/TV" button.

Sounds like reprogramming units is pretty straight-forward, but I was more concerned about getting a dead unit, messing up the software, etc.

This was NOT a cheap project going with all new equipment, but it was worth it for me.

Now I have to get the bluetooth project going.
    US Versions have the button for "Tel" ?
    Hmm I thought they didnt.
    I bought mine used (3 months old) for $1500 and no warranty though, oh well. Warranty on this kind of stuff is tricky sometimes.
    Mmaturo the only thing I can think of for your problem is that your Gala wire is not secure completely, I soldered mine and had no problem. Sometimes it takes a new a couple of minutes of driving to gather all needed satelites to work properly. After my install my unit showed I was in San diego for around a minute or so !

Bajo
    2007 Audi S8 (daytona/black)
    2005 Mercedes G55 (designo graphite)

Nene thanks for your instructions, and this string of posts, as they gave me finally the last push to do it and feel comfortable about it.

Turns out I did have it right the first time, including the GALA wire, it just took it about 12 hours after the install for it to figure out what it is doing, and I mean a full 12. Worked perfectly (everything I complained about above not a problem) on the way back from a night out. When going out it thought I was 2 blocks from where I was and never moved off the 15 degrees off north orientation of the map. Now it updates exactly as I move, destinations are working and follows my turns with reorienting the map like it is supossed to....all I can say is YESSSSS!!!!

So glad I did it, looks great, glad to know I don't have to take anything back apart. Just need to do the XM module switchout tomorrow (now today). I will figure out how to post on navplus though that you can route the wires, place the antenna, tie it all down and work on the cluster without removing it completely and without removing the knee portion under the steering wheel.

This really is easy to do thanks to the instructions of those before me. I am irritated at the person I bought it from as he never responded to my comments to him, nor sent me the manual (which was a .pdf anyway, but found the free links thank-you very much) and did not provide the correct wire (length) for the GALA as I asked, nor any instructions, other than verbal of how the connectors attach to the main unit, not including the details we know it takes with the other wires and taking the single fakra off the one wire and putting it into the double one, and the GALA wire install. The unit I recieved also had a few too many scratches around the edge than I would like and the connector at the gps on the unit was damaged. Nor responded to phone call today regarding my problems with it. So I will be an ass about that to give fair warning, it all works but not at all happy with the follow through and package I thought I was getting. Power of the internet is that customer service does matter.

Glad you got it working, and very sorry for not getting to it earlier. There was a couple of posts of folks on NavPlus.us that also did not get it to fully work until 24 hours later. It can get a bit nerve wrecking during that time, as you are unsure as to which step you may have failed on, and in the end it is all connected as it is suppose to.

I will check your post again, and make sure to ammend my write up to include this information. It is possible that others will have similar issues, and we need to make sure folks don't start fidling around, until they are sure there is something wrong with their installation.

Thanks for the feedback, and posting your experience as well.

Long post but worth it to make sure this is seemless for others as this really is an easy process to do yourself.

A few other comments I can make to your write up (then it is the bible I think for RS6 install, absolutely excellent!!). Where the GALA wire connects to the connection at the 8 pin connector I was not clear at first whether that was on the adapter or the original wiring harness for the radio, although it is clear in the pic. At that same step I followed the recommendation of one of the posts you referenced and used male/female spade connector (connectors sized again for 20-22) on the GALA wire, and on the two ends of the wire that is cut to make the connection. I went ahead and put a female end on the original wire (and taped over the exposed end of new female spade connector of the cut wire with the fabric electrical tape) and on my GALA wire so I could connect it back to the orignal configuration if I ever turn the car back to stock.

On top of the steering wheel (this also from one install you referenced) I did go ahead and throw the painters tape over it as well as a kitchen towel to make sure I didn't scratch it, thought that was a good idea and obviously I did not scratch anything by being careful. Also made sure I always had a kitchen towel under the new unit and just over the lip of the AC unit to make sure I didn't ding the top edge of that while resting the unit and making connections.

The XM install was a pain in the arse. I could not get the clips to let go that are below the opening to the jack and the access door that comes out. Not sure of the secret to getting those clips to pop off but I didn't get it (and took about 30 minutes of brut force to pop them). Also you may want to show the removal diagram from bentley for the rear trim piece in the trunk, I had to wing it but got it right. Took me a minute to figure out I had to take that off first. Also the image you show of the side trim does not match our cars with the fold down seats as there is no trim at the back of the trunk and therefore no fasteners to remove as the diagram you have shows. I was looking for more to undo at that area up by the seats but gave up. By undoing all the fasteners and the clips up to the back seats I was able to just swing it out of the way to get behind enough to work on the XM. I do not know if there is more fasteners to undo behind the leather return of the seat side piece (the leather part that does not fold down that runs down the side of the seat opening when folded down under the seat belt).

I had to compare what I was looking at with the view of my trunk to figure out where the XM was...I can see how you had a hard time finding it orginally. It was not clear to me reading your description that it is right behind and above the jack mount and CD changer mount locations just in from the taillamp. I should have taken a picture for you as mine looked a bit different from your photo. Mine does not have two screw connections or those little clips at the screw holes, mine just had one hex nut on a screw post off the XM mount to undo and was a little further in and not right on the edge of the internal frame of the car as yours shows. But once I got it was quick to change out and get it all back together and had my XM back in 30 minutes. The second I got the new unit connected I went back and started the car, got the ID number and called, so that by the time I had it fully mounted, back in place and the trunk trim back in it was up and running. My comment here would be that if one is not doing the antenna wire for the GPS through the shark fin as you did I would do the mod in the order as I did, which was to do the main RNS-E unit then the XM module so that you can know if the XM is working or not immediately.

Thanks again!