Thread: Rumor. Bentley will launch a 4.2l biturbo V8 GT Conti

Rumor. Bentley will launch a 4.2l biturbo V8 GT Conti

I just read a rumor. Bentley Continental is selling really well as you know. There are plans to use the RS6 engine in a "low-end" Continental.
    Excellent choice don't you think?

RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

That would be cheapening the brand.
    It would make a number of other German cars faster than it on the Autobahn.
    The engine is a South engine and Bentley is a North company, so is it likely?
    If VAG care to make Bentley just another German luxo barge manufacturer, throwing away decades of heritage and debasing the brand, thats fine.
    Already discerning potential customers are turning away from the Flying Spur as it looks too much like a Phaeton. There are plans to make the Continental GT and Flying Spur in Dresden, which does not go down well in most markets.
    VAG are up to their druthers in scandal right now, the Board, perforce, have their eye off the ball, I would not bet against some knobhead in Wolfsburg or Berlin having plans to move the whole of Bentley to Germany, to cover up the Phaeton debacle, all the sharp tools that would normally stamp on that sort of thing are a bit busy right now.

R+C

Originally posted by Nordschleife
    That would be cheapening the brand.

If VAG care to make Bentley just another German luxo barge manufacturer, throwing away decades of heritage and debasing the brand, thats fine.
    R+C
    I'm not sure I follow you Nord. Bentley Has a LONG heritage OF turbo V8 engines, so why would the RS 6 motor be such a bad thing? Plus, as The new MTM (well actually the one dudes name) Apollo shows, the RS 6 motor can make WAY more than 450hp (I think theirs is running 610 or so).

So it could have as much HP as the W12 TT and LESS weight. Why would that be such a bad thing?

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

In Germany, the W12 (actually should be called a staggered V-12), is blowing up at the hands of enthusiastic users.

My experience with the RS6 engine under similar conditions is now 100% failure at around 30,000 km.

Remember, Bentleys are supposed to get better with age. Presently, Bentley has exclusive engines, sharing an engine with a lesser model is not good for the Bentley 'Brand', they have enough difficulty with Phaeton comments right now.

Why produce a smaller engined V8? The development work which has gone into the 12 cylinder engine is mega, complete new heads, internals, oilo ways, con rods pistons, bearing journals etc. This cost should be amortised before they consider their options. If VW does decide to produce Continental GTs with the smaller less powerful RS6 engine, how far away can the diesel and the economy 3 litre V6 versions be? It will be the end of Bentley as a proper car company, it will just be another alternative to BMW, MB and Audi. Look at the interiors of most of the German market cars, they don't even look like a Bentley or any British car, they are deliberately made to look German.

As far as turbos go, WOB hated turbos - the old 'blower' Bentleys of Tim Birkin were anathema to him. WO started life designing steam engines.

So, VAG are pissing off Bentley traditionalists enough already. Don't ask me to explain some of the tricks they are getting up to, this is suppopsed to be a family forum!

R+C

Let's hope this stays as a rumour.

In Germany, the W12 (actually should be called a staggered V-12), is blowing up at the hands of enthusiastic users.

My experience with the RS6 engine under similar conditions is now 100% failure at around 30,000 km.
    Wow, then I'm living on borrowed time!

So, VAG are pissing off Bentley traditionalists enough already. Don't ask me to explain some of the tricks they are getting up to, this is suppopsed to be a family forum!

R+C
    OK, we'll keep it clean.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Hmm, never got that memo

Originally posted by Benman
    Wow, then I'm living on borrowed time!
    You and me both!
    '97 993TT, '14 E63 S-line, '17 GT-R and a couple of '12 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4s for the kids.

Re: Hmm, never got that memo

Originally posted by iconcls
    You and me both!
    Because you don't run continuously for protracted periods at over 150 mph, you should be comparatively OK.

R+C

Because you don't run continuously for protracted periods at over 150 mph, you should be comparatively OK.
    I guess I am screwed than ....