Naturally-Aspirated V-8 (90-degrees)
    4-valves per cylinder
    6208 ccm displacement
    Max power: 510 hp (380kW)@ 6800 rpm
    Max torque: 464lb-ft (630Nm) @ 5200 rpm
    Redline: 7200 rpm

What do you think? Enough?
    or
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Eric, just curious - is it the C-class, E-class, S-class, SL...

Greets
    Seb.
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

Don't know. But AMG engines usually show up in many models.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

It will feature in the cars which currently have the 55 Kompressor engine. So definitely the new S, CL, new SL (whenever that is) and most likely the next E and CLS.
    '04 S55 AMG Kompressor

just read in the new "auto motor und sport", that the first model to get it, will be the new ML - now it starts to get interresting - Q7 with a V10 as Audi's answer?

Greets
    Seb.
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

aah, interesting, thanks, Erik!

Seems even Mercedes is having to opt for, four valves per cylinder now.

Most common AMG engine trades 50 lb-ft. of torque (this whopping number, 516, is what makes the current 55 so good) for 50hp (nowadays common) and a larger number in the name, 63 instead of 55. Hmmmmmmm........slightly odd thinking, eh? I bet the 63s won't be any faster than the current 55s.

AMG 63 engine

Hello guys, sorry for a late entry. The AMG V8 63 engine will also be in the new R series, ie R63. This is basically a crossover vehicle, which allows mercedes to get into the 6-7 passenger range. I wanted to get my wife a german vehicle with 6 or 7 passenger seating, and unfortunately nothing was available yet. So she has a top line Sienna for now. (it is only a two year lease, and hopefully a new Q7 will be home next). I think this engine is destined more for truck/crossover use and not sedans. The high end supercharged engines and turbocharged engines are going to be for more sport sedan/coupe use.

Noushy
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)

There is no reason to have trucks in Europe. Daimler has a truck division and Freightliner and a Japanese operation. You put things in trucks and people in cars. If you want to move a lot of people you use a MPV or a bus.

Some large 'onroaders' do indeed take large numbers of people. However, trucks are an American phenomenon driven by a Waltonesque nostalgia and crazy tax, safety and environmental laws which mean that these piles of ordure are amongst the very few vehicles that Detroit makes a profit on.

So why would Mercedes make a truck engine? I know they are moving down market and chucking quality out the window (or picking up Chrysler habits as its called in Stuttgart), but truck engines, no way. The mercedes way is to use everything as many times as possible in an unfathomable mish-mash of products. Most of the time they are competing against themselves. Even the taxi drivers are deserting them in droves, they like to get their passengers to their destination so they can collect the fare.

R+C

Correction

Guys, by trucks I am referring to domestic vehicles that are classified as 'trucks' in the US. This includes SUVs, and Minivans. The advantage has nothing to do with the real purpose but rather the taxes and corporate fuel economy requirements are lower. This is based on the older days when trucks were used as work vehicles and to help farmers. The US Government subsidy was to help offset costs for the working class people. Now it is just a loophole for manufacturers to get away with heavy fuel guzzling vehicles. Now me personally, if you want a 400+ hp vehicle that weighs 5000lbs, that is your choice. Just be prepared to pay for it at the pump.

Noushy
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)