Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nurburgring Lap Times

Nurburgring Lap Times

Does anyone know the approximate best lap times for the new RS4? Im just curious to know how it stacks up again the competition...

I've heard anything from 7:50 to 8:15. Personally, after reading updates, I have switched my estimate from 8:10 to 8:05. Someone said the RS4 is nearly as fast as the M3 CSL in the corners and faster on the straights, and the M3 CSL supposedly did the Ring in 7:51. I have my doubts to this claim, but that does give the RS4 a slight, slight possibility to get 7:50! Again, I guess a little over 8:00.

Feedback, please! Laptimes around the Ring speak louder than any other numbers!

Its summer, the conditions are good, you haven't heard a lap time..... go figure.

R+C

Remember the CSL uses r-tires, but that option is also available with the RS4.

Any lap times will be quite dependent on what tires they use.

I would be very surprised if it reaches under 8.00, and surprised if under 8.10.

But - to put some fire to earlier discussions - the new Porsche Carrera 4 is the first Porsche to be faster than its 2-wheel drived brother...
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

The info i have hearing is that the new RS4 did it under 8 minutes, but how much under 8 minutes i don't know.

wfg, Hans.
    Last edited by Iceman; July 12th, 2005 at 16:29.

Originally posted by Erik
    Remember the CSL uses r-tires, but that option is also available with the RS4.

Any lap times will be quite dependent on what tires they use.
    Agreed. Without R compounds, I don't see them cracking the 8 minute mark. WITH R Compounds, I'd actually be surprised if they DIDN'T! Time will tell.

And yes, the car was nearly as quick in the turns as the CSL.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

I see little point in getting a lap time reading on Nordschliefe with P Zero Corsas only or at least if not merely as a supplement to a time with ordinary summer tyres. I believe most potential buyers are much more interested by the margin by which it beats the standard M3 on more road like conditions & trim - if at all. The CSL is an interesting benchmark as such but I feel that most of us will use the RS4 most of time on public roads rather as a track toy - there are surely better candidates for that amusement than a RS4.

Nord, Ben or somebody else; do you know if Audi is still genuinely developing and trying our different suspension settings also for Euro versions for the RS4 as we speak or is the car already done with the delays mainly being related to ROW settings, durability testing or supplier issues - as was the case with the some half year delay for the S4 in 2002/2003.

Originally posted by QuattroFun
    I see little point in getting a lap time reading on Nordschliefe with P Zero Corsas only or at least if not merely as a supplement to a time with ordinary summer tyres.

Nord, Ben or somebody else; do you know if Audi is still genuinely developing and trying our different suspension settings also for Euro versions for the RS4 as we speak or is the car already done with the delays mainly being related to ROW settings, durability testing or supplier issues
    Main thing with Ring #s is for bench racing. Throw a number out there and it's "see, my car beats your car" so you have a point. However, if Audi (quattro) wants the RS 4 to be a CSL contender, then they'll use stickies like the CSL did. If they only care about besting the M3's time (which it will) they'll use PS2s.

I think the main thing with delays is that quattro is SMALL. Even with nearly 300 employees, they are not as large as BMW M, let alone AMG. The only RS 4 under "testing" right now is the Avant (it was hot weather testing in Africa when I was there) so the RS 4 sedan is mostly a done deal and finished spec'd cars are at Neckarsulm as we speak. Others like Tailpipe and Iceman have better contacts than myself, so they might be of more help.

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Unofficial time 7:53:21.

wfg, Hans.

Originally posted by Iceman

Unofficial time 7:53:21.

wfg, Hans.
    Iceman,

Nice avantar BTW!

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

To put it in perspective, all people care about a week after the run has been done is the time in the book. Manufacturers who are organised wait until they have a full set of production parts - springs, shocks, anti roll bars etc., and then wheel the car out for a record time for a production car, quite possibly nobody will ever get a car configured that way, but all the parts are 'stock'.

However, a good time here is worth a fortune in domestic sales for a performance car.

Even non German manufacturers are building garages here for their development teams.

So when SR gets organised, he will grab SH and send him out on a mission, why SH - because he knows the circuit better than almost anybody else and is fast, sadly he finds circuit racing boring but he was a winner on the WRC, and he is more fun than WR, and he taught MS how to drive on ice.

To put the 'Ring into perspective, I am talking to an American manufacturer about bringing one of their cars across and doing a banzai time. I have explained that its easier to teach a 'Ring pilot how to drive their car than one of their drivers to drive the 'Ring, and they accept that. Even so, they know that it won't be a brief visit and they are happy with that.

R+C

Originally posted by Benman
    Iceman,

Nice avantar BTW!

Ben
    Big version of it.

wfg, Hans.

Originally posted by Nordschleife
    To put the 'Ring into perspective, I am talking to an American manufacturer about bringing one of their cars across and doing a banzai time. I have explained that its easier to teach a 'Ring pilot how to drive their car than one of their drivers to drive the 'Ring, and they accept that.

R+C
    Yeah, there's more than just 10 or 12 turns to learn!

Iceman,

That looks a lot like the lady from the show "JAG".

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

Originally posted by Benman
    Iceman,
    That looks a lot like the lady from the show "JAG".
    Ben
    Yes she is from JAG : "Catherine Bell"

wfg, Hans.

Excellent points, comments and info, thx (and the bird is excellent as well).

My point was this: window dressing the statistics with semi-slicks will probably not generate durable gains. The CSL on Michelin Cups has one of the most impressive set of figures and overall score in Sport Auto's super test. Yet, it somehow does not feel that overwhelming on real roads in our laymen's hands compared with a standard M3 and I believe Autocar found out in a comparison that standard M3 on Michelin Cups was nearly as fast on the track as the CSL. So - among real world new car buyers who paid the bill and got the thrill - the standard M3 is an icon by now and the CSL is rather an embarrasment although it was made only in 3500 units or so and it NS times and whatever beats the M3 hands down.

The big Q: r-tires or regular? I think I know this answer...but the possibility is too tempting not to ask! Do you know this answer for sure?

C Bell is one of the most beautiful women I've ever laid eyes on.....

BUT.....

She is an Ice Queen !!!! (for real)
    (perfect for the Ice Man... right Hans !! )

kj
    Kurt Jones - Los Angeles, CA USA
    http://www.surfshooter.com
    http://www.kurtjones.com
    [img]http://homepage.mac.com/kj17/.Pictures/bmw-sig.jpg[/img]

Hans,

I have heard consistent rumours of a Ring lap time under 8 minutes. Based on my own conversations with Audi's top marketing people, this was the target that was set for the car. What is I find much more impressive than the actual lap time is the consistency with which this car laps the Ring in varying conditions. Damp times versus dry times are much closer than any other manufacturer achieves thanks to, you've guessed it, Quattro.

What is also very interesting is reported lap times for S6. Wow. I'm not sure if they are correct, but I'm hearing well below 8 minutes 30 seconds .