View Poll Results: What do you think of the Lexus brand?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do not associate Japan with premium cars at all and would never buy a Lexus

15 44.12%
  • Lexus is well built and customer service is good but the cars are terrible to drive

5 14.71%
  • Everything about Lexus is getting better and better, i would probably consider the brand next time i buy a new car

12 35.29%
  • I am defintely considering a Lexus as my next car and am close to buying one

2 5.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heresy - The Lexus IS

Heresy - The Lexus IS

I don't know whether any of you have seen the new Lexus IS either in pictures or in the flesh, but I have been extremely impressed by it. The styling is spot on: coherent, balanced, contemporary and IMHO extremely appealing. The engines are advanced and feature variable valve timing on both induction and exhaust strokes to deliver superb power and economy. The panel gaps are miniscule. The interior cabin design is also exceptional. The quality of materials used together with fit and finish is more than comparable to Audi's. The SatNav system has a touch screen while its menus and controls are all incredibly well laid out and much more intuitive to use. In short, this car is everything that the new BMW 3-Series should have been but wasn't and takes Lexus to a level that is extremely close to the established German marques. If it drives as well as it looks, then not just BMW but also Audi and Mercedes-Benz need to be very afraid. The problem with Lexus is brand image and I'd love to know what Audi fans think of Lexus. Your feedback would be very useful.

They make really good cars, but the cars have no soul what so ever.
    They are boring to drive, and not powerful enough.

Like somebody at BMW said att a recent exhibition. "We see them, but they are not ready yet to climb into the high end segment"
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Originally posted by Erik
    They make really good cars, but the cars have no soul what so ever.
    They are boring to drive, and not powerful enough.
    This is a pretty accurate statement.

The cars made by Toyota (ahem...Lexus) are EXTREMELY reliable, dependable and faithfull vehicles that make exceptional point A to B transportation. The part about the souls is true (although funny considering that is the EXACT same statemen made by Italian cars against our Audis and BMWs ).

They are not as exciting to drive as the German sedan (my father's LS430 is a great example). However, the ownership experience is hands down superior at Lexus (sorry but true).

I'm not ready just yet to trade in my Beast for anything offered by Lexus (because the car is such an addictive JOY!) but in the future if they continue to go down the "driver's path" then the German manufactures should be worried because the car will represent a far better value for dollar (or Euro, Pound Sterling, etc...).

Even the new GS is now available with all wheel drive (not just Audi anymore).

But only having a car for point A to point B reasons is like "only" having sex for procreation.

Ben

Did you know this?

Luxury EXport USa. That was their code name, and they kept it.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

talking of Lexus and procreation.

The country manager for Lexus in xxxxxx tells me that the Lexus is the most comfortable car for recreational rumpy pumpy, she says its loads better than the mercs she takes out for comparisons.

Its not scientific however, I believe its always with a different partner.

I'm not sure that this is what Detroit or Stuttgart has in mind when talking about customer relations, but it sure beats watching sumo!

R+C

Originally posted by Nordschleife
    talking of Lexus and procreation.

The country manager for Lexus in xxxxxx tells me that the Lexus is the most comfortable car for recreational rumpy pumpy, she says its loads better than the mercs she takes out for comparisons.

Its not scientific however, I believe its always with a different partner.

I'm not sure that this is what Detroit or Stuttgart has in mind when talking about customer relations, but it sure beats watching sumo!

R+C

Well, my,my. I guess there cars aren't as "souless" as we all thought! Now THAT'S the Lexus spirit of giving customer satisfaction!

Ben

deniros opinion

Click here for clip

Atlanta, Georgia and Ramat-Hasharon,Israel
    i chose the first one only becasue it was the closest to what i really wanted to choose.. "they build nice cars, but its not for me- not my type"

ill agree with erik and benman about the soul part... its like a feeling you (i) dont get from them, eventhough they can be great cars.

and yes, the IS does look good... if audi wasnt in the market i think i'd take it over the looks of the new 3 series.
    :thumb: Buckle Up and Enjoy The Ride.

Hey, everyone thank you so much for your input here.

FOr the past 2 cars I have bought an Audi, while my mother bought a Lexus. Sometimes I have to drive her places an such, so I am in a unique position to be able to offer an opinion on both these manufactuers. If you dont agree I dont care. It is my experence with the cars.

On long trips the Lexus GS gets very uncomfortable very quickly. I have to take a pillow with me and put it behing my back because my back kills me after a few hours.

The leather feels cheep and the materials at first glance look good, but after being with them a few hours they feel cheep and wear poorly.

There is no feedback with the throttle. You cant even tell if you are accelerating besides the sound the engine makes. The steering is numb. At higiway speeds the care is loud and dandels poorly. The wind seeps through the sunroof and maks a hissing sound unless you close the light visor on the inside.

I could go on vorever, but after briving about 10,00 miles in a Lexus GS, I would NEVER buy one. EVER. I hate Lexus and when I get home and get in my Audi, it is like a breath of fresh air. There is SUCH A DIFFFERENCE only driving long miles back to back can demonstrate.
    http://kak.net/audi/audi-r8r.htm

Originally posted by R8isGreat
    FOr the past 2 cars I have bought an Audi, while my mother bought a Lexus. Sometimes I have to drive her places an such, so I am in a unique position to be able to offer an opinion on both these manufactuers. If you dont agree I dont care.

What year is her GS? My mother also has a GS (430), what a coinky dink. Hers is a 01, and yes, it is not as good of a car as the A6 (IMHO). However, that car is NOWHERE close to being as good as the LS430 (my father's car). All the complaints you mention about the GS (road and wind noise, cheap interior, etc..) are MUCH better in the LS 430. The poor throtle and steering, although better than the GS, still falls short of my Beast obviously. However, I would say with confidence, that the steering in the LS 430 IS on par with an A6 2.7T (my uncle has one).

The new IS will be better still (a much sportier vehicle than the GS or LS) than the old and with styling that is better than the new 3 Series (I mean come on, it's not like it had much to beat) will make it a no brainer over the BMW. But I'm not in the market for a Bangle product, so I'll stick with my Audi.

Ben

Her GS is an 04. She had a LS before that. Ultimatly it of corsecomes down to personal preference. I just REALLY despise the looks and performance of Lexus. I would much rather drive a VW than a Lexus. I think her next car is going to be an A6 too. Again, that is just my opinion, so I DONT need anyone here posting Automobile articles on Lexus or any thing trying to dispute opinion. Im not saying it applies for everyone.
    http://kak.net/audi/audi-r8r.htm

Originally posted by R8isGreat
    I would much rather drive a VW than a Lexus. Again, that is just my opinion, so I DONT need anyone here posting Automobile articles on Lexus or any thing trying to dispute opinion.
    :eye:
    Not an Automobile article, just a reply.

nahhhhhhhh

Please donīt compare the american LEXUS with the european versions.

Take the example of the IS300..... in the us itīs shit to drive, soft, heavy and so on

Now.... iīve drive the european version and itīs way better than any AUDI with the same engine capacity.

You doubt, go and test drive one.

Re: nahhhhhhhh

Originally posted by Amar3lio
    Please donīt compare the american LEXUS with the european versions.

Take the example of the IS300..... in the us itīs shit to drive, soft, heavy and so on

Now.... iīve drive the european version and itīs way better than any AUDI with the same engine capacity.

You doubt, go and test drive one.
    This would be the Brabus Lexus would it?

'better' all depends on where you a looking from. Lexus is the perfect car for people who don't like cars.

Now a good Japanese car is the Skyline GTR, and I don;t think Lexus has anything to approach that!

R+C

You must be american or at least never drove a euro version lexus.....

when you do youīll think twice... test drive the is300 euroversion

" Well, it's different. The Lexus looks odd from some angles, the dials are way funky for an exec car and the cargo space is limited and oddly shaped for an estate car. However, the straight-six has gone from two to three litres and it's fast, eager and willing to play when you want, or do the refined executive thing if others are looking. The chassis is a perfect match for the motor, lithe, lean and not very long. Interior is wacky and may date or it may be a classic in ten years time. At least Lexus has had the courage to do something a bit different with the SportCross."

in top gear....

I agree with everything except the driving/handling bit. Don't tell me a euro-spec., manual IS300 is boring to drive.

Tell me the leather feels like plastic, tell me the interior is a early 90s Toyota rip-off, tell me how much of a gas-guzzler the tiny IS200 is - but come on, the 6-spd. 300 ain't a total bore on twisty roads.