Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low speed turn 'groan'

sorry to hear it..... I think the mineral power steering fluid that are in these cars cannot handle the heat created under the hood. Probably over heated it with the track time which caused it to some of its lubercating qualities. Really sucks... these cars should be able to handle it, since it is supposed to be Audi's highest performace model.

I have to take mine in for it to be changed.... good luck.

Sounds like time for a dedicated track car
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Originally posted by Bauer
    Sounds like time for a dedicated track car
    I totally agree, but I'm at the analysis/paralysis stage in my track car decision-making process.

I've ridden in a bone-stock Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII on the track and I was very impressed with its capabilities. I know AWD isn't ideal for the track, but it's my little security blanket. At the other end of the spectrum, I could indulge in a 997 C4 or C4S, but then I run into the same cost of maintenance issues as with the RS6.

Or I could go your route, Bauer, and get a tricked out B5 S4 that is set-up for the track. The key, though, is finding one that hasn't been truly abused.

Ideally, I want to stay with Audi or try Porsche. I have a good relationship with my local VAG/Porsche garage and would like to keep using them.

I wonder if ACNA Nationals at Mont-Tremblant will be last track days for my beloved RS6.

Decisions, decisions....

Joe
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Joe,

You can find very reasonably priced B5 S4's with good modifications. I have seen cars with 40k to 55k miles and about 10k to 20k in upgrades for between 30k and 40k. I can tell you my S4 has become VERY fun and fast on the track.

At my last event there was a guy with a fantastic 993tt (bigger turbos, ECU, exhaust and PSS9's) who after the second time out was no longer able to hold me off. Not to say I am that great of a driver or he was that bad.... his lines were smooth and there were some turns when he would perform better then I and others I would do better then he. I had more then him and down the straights I would have to let up or I would have driven up his tailpipe. He then started letting me pass on a regular basis.

Now, true the car is not cheap to maintain... but neither is a 993, 996 or 997 for that matter..... I think you can't go wrong with the Porsche product.... but for me I have an Audi "problem"

good luck

Ben

P.S If you need help or info please let me know.... I would be very happy to help in anyway....also, if you are ever in the SF Bay and what a test drive let me know
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Originally posted by Bauer
    I think the mineral power steering fluid that are in these cars cannot handle the heat created under the hood.
    Good guess -- but then why do I sometimes the moan 2-3 minutes after leaving my garage on my first drive for the day?

I only hear it when the car is cold.

After driving to work, the car is warm, I do manuvering in a parking lot and have yet to hear the noise.

I hear it pretty reliably when I am pulling out of the end of my driveway, turning left, moving very slow.

It is DEFINITELY a noise I can live with if it means having some mechanic REMOVE THE GD ENGINE to fix. Far too many things can go wrong after they REMOVE the engine...too many wires to mess up, not to mention mechanical connections, etc.

Mike