Thread: Audi RS4 and the USA

Audi RS4 and the USA

The USA is a key market for all Audi RS models.

The RS6 has been a huge success. Audi sold about 8,000 RS6s (all versions) worldwide of which the US took 1,000. That's a lot.

So, as you can imagine Audi is pretty keen to build on that success with the new RS4. It certainly expects to sell 1,000 new RS4s, but could sell twice that amount because the RS badge now has a much stronger and more universal image. The new RS4 is also substantially less expensive than the RS6.

The latest RS4 was designed from the outset to sell in the USA, so configuring it to local requirements will have already been done. in other words, this will not be a factor that delays its introduction stateside. May sounds way too late. I would be surpised if the RS4 didn't arrive by March. The only thing that would delay US production is unexpectedly high European demand. Audi may be saying May in case this happens.

Something else really important to say. Audi presently sells about 80,000 cars in the USA which is only a fraction more than it sells in the UK. This is terrible considering how good both product and brand are. Audi realises this. And, as it has made abundantly clear through recent press releases, we should expect Audi to substantially ramp up its marketing efforts. More impoortant it will align itself with what the market demands. At the moment, hi-performance wagons appear to be a European phenomenon not a US one. If you tell your dealer you want an Avant version of the RS4 and there is enough interest, it will surely be imported.

I would say that 500 orders would be the miniumum to make federalisation worthwhile and perhaps we could submit a petition of potential US Avant purchasers to Audi USA to make this happen. Such a petition would require refundable dollar deposits to be submitted.

We as users of this site, have power to make this happen - it's the beauty of the internet.

Registered User 5000S old skool's Avatar
    Danbury, CT... overrun by japanese rice tuners
    Audi does indeed need to up the marketing effort in the USA. Of all the car commercials I see on TV, it is very rare that I will see an Audi commercial, maybe once a month. Where as, I see BMW, Benz, and Cadillac commercials every day.

Originally posted by 5000S old skool
    Audi does indeed need to up the marketing effort in the USA. Of all the car commercials I see on TV, it is very rare that I will see an Audi commercial, maybe once a month. Where as, I see BMW, Benz, and Cadillac commercials every day.
    Be very careful of what you wish for!

If you want really interesting Audis, then hope that the company stops trying to produce cars for the US market. Look back at the great Audis of the past 25 years, the best were not aimed at the US market. These are the ones that people love to drive.

Without going out of my way to gather US opinions on the new RS4, I have heard demands for Tiptronic, complaints about lack of powered rear windows and concern about low profile tyres...... theses may be valid concerns in a Boulevard cruiser but in an RS4, go figure.

AOA will give the US market what it believes the US customer wants. However, as far as AOA is concerned, the customer is the dealer. Dealers still remember that they couldn't shift the S6 Avant, (the S6 was a dog), so instead of saying no more S6s they say no more sporting Avants.

R+C

Originally posted by tailpipe
    I would say that 500 orders would be the miniumum to make federalisation worthwhile and perhaps we could submit a petition of potential US Avant purchasers to Audi USA to make this happen.
    this was done for RS6 Avant and as far as I remember the AoA played dead duck very well ......

Originally posted by gjg
    this was done for RS6 Avant and as far as I remember the AoA played dead duck very well ......
    Exactly. I WAS one of those individuals who DID fill out the petition for the RS 6 Avant. Over 700 (not 500) people filled out that petition which WAS sent in to AOA. What did AOA do? Jack squat!

As Nordschleife says:
    "AOA will give the US market what it believes the US customer wants. However, as far as AOA is concerned, the customer is the dealer. Dealers still remember that they couldn't shift the S6 Avant, (the S6 was a dog), so instead of saying no more S6s they say no more sporting Avants.

R+C"

Sucks for us

Ben

Do I gather that Audi won't even bring the S6 Avant here now? To the US? Geesh. That is depressing. That was my fallback if the RS4 avant didn't come here. It is also rumored that the A6 Avant with the 4.2 won't even come here. Trully bad. Is there really that few of us who prefer the utility and stealthiness of the AVant?

The new RS4 is also substantially less expensive than the RS6.
    I've heard US $70-$75,000, and I suspect the high end is more accurate considering the dollar:Euro.

Remember, the RS6 had a base sticker of $82,700 in the US. I don't see $75,000 as being substantially less expensive. Especially since the RS4 will probably appeal to a different market demographic than the RS6.

Finnus
    2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue

Although the RS4 is a gorgeous car, I think that in the time it will be here, given that we all know it will be expensive, it will sell less in numbers than our beloved RS6.
    Now I only hope I'm wrong!

Originally posted by rheudabaga
    Is there really that few of us who prefer the utility and stealthiness of the Avant?
    Apparantly so

Ben

Originally posted by Finnus
    I've heard US $70-$75,000, and I suspect the high end is more accurate considering the dollar:Euro.

Remember, the RS6 had a base sticker of $82,700 in the US. I don't see $75,000 as being substantially less expensive. Especially since the RS4 will probably appeal to a different market demographic than the RS6.

Finnus
    I agree. $7,000- $8,000 is not even 10% less.

Ben

I'm really interested in the RS4 (I take my RS6 in for its 25k service tomorrow and will no doubt dangerously end up in the showroom talking deposits on the damn RS4!!). The RS4's size is perfect for me plus it's a stick (I'm SO dissapointed with the RS6 drivetrain, especially after snapping a driveshaft in half!).

Dealers here in the NE US are saying $65k but $72k "out the door." So I agree, $72K isn't enough of a gap below the RS6. Then again, due to limited availability and what seems to be a stellar RS4 iteration AOA isn't going to have any challenges selling whatever number of RS4s they get their hands on.

Aggh, curse the law of supply-and-demand!
    Dark Knight

"See God, then brake."
    - Kevin Schwantz, 500GP World Champion
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    RS6 Goodwood Green
    S4 Triple Black Cab
    350Z Nismo . . . gone
    Boxster . . . gones
    CBR1000F, 900RR, ZX7R, ZX6R, GSX-R600 . . . gone

Originally posted by Dark Knight
    I'm really interested in the RS4 (I take my RS6 in for its 25k service tomorrow and will no doubt dangerously end up in the showroom talking deposits on the damn RS4!!). The RS4's size is perfect for me plus it's a stick (I'm SO dissapointed with the RS6 drivetrain, especially after snapping a driveshaft in half!).

Aggh, curse the law of supply-and-demand!
    I feel your pain

As for supply and demand: I'm ALL for the free market!

Ben

I too would love an Avant.
    But looks as if we won't get them no matter what we do.
    I think I'll be able to sleep at night with the RS4 Saloon in the garage though....

Can't wait for August....

kj
    Kurt Jones - Los Angeles, CA USA
    http://www.surfshooter.com
    http://www.kurtjones.com
    [img]http://homepage.mac.com/kj17/.Pictures/bmw-sig.jpg[/img]

okay, so i was at the dealer today and actually sat in the new B7 A4. fine car, but i'm sad to report that it is WAY to small for my two kids in the back. you guys enjoy your RS4's! i'm gonna have to wait for the next S6 or RS6. i'll watch with envy as you guys drive bye!

Originally posted by rheudabaga
    ........... sat in the new B7 A4. fine car, but i'm sad to report that it is WAY to small for my two kids in the back. ........
    have you seen how big Dutch and German kids are? You might be surprised how kids actually do fit in a car.

There is an interesting kink in the fabric of relativity whereby the faster the car the more kids you can cram in the back/passenger seat. Three kids fit in the passenger seat of a Gallardo for at least 20 minutes at a time.

The back of a DB9 takes 5 kids all the way to dance class and back.

I could go on...

R+C

R+C

do you have any source material to back up this theory? i'm quite interested in it

Originally posted by kujo
    I too would love an Avant.
    But looks as if we won't get them no matter what we do.
    I think I'll be able to sleep at night with the RS4 Saloon in the garage though....

kj

I want the avant too....but I'll be happy with my Saloon!