Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RS6 Chip debate

AudiRS6Sport - My friend drives...

It's pretty obvious that I cannot drive more than 1 car at a time. Your statement is not too smart.....any intelligent person would assume that a friend of mine would be driving one of the other cars.

I mean, do I really have to post/describe the person who was driving the other one of my cars? Gee whiz.Boy. Who would have thought I could drive more than 1 car at once. Genius.
    NWRS6
    2004 RS6 - GIAC Engine/Tip Chip, Hyperboost valves, & BMC air filters = 520hp + 530 ft/lb torque
    2006 997 C4S - BMC filter, factory Sport Exhaust & Aerokit (slower than RS6 but handles much better)

Past cars:
    2004 SL55
    2003 996TT
    2003 SL500
    2003 E500
    2002 X5 4.6
    2001 996 C4
    2000 Boxster
    1998 540i
    etc. etc.

Originally posted by s42ski
    I am somewhat intrigued by the APR system, mostly by the idea of changing the program via the cruise control - any owners have experience with this set up?
    I had APR chips on my two prior Audis -- '98 A4 and '00 S4. Both worked great, the cruise control switching never failed & was very handy for dealer visits & valets. Now, tho, I suspect more dealers are aware -- and I got "busted" anyway because dealer asked if I had a chip & I chose not to lie.

Re: AudiRS6Sport - My friend drives...

Originally posted by NWRS6
    It's pretty obvious that I cannot drive more than 1 car at a time. Your statement is not too smart.....any intelligent person would assume that a friend of mine would be driving one of the other cars.

I mean, do I really have to post/describe the person who was driving the other one of my cars? Gee whiz.Boy. Who would have thought I could drive more than 1 car at once. Genius.
    Thanks for the compliment. The real obvious factor would be the fact that you would not have wasted your money on a garbage software like GIAC if you knew what you were doing. GIAC is known as Garbage In A Chip period. This fact has already been proven many times in real world, not on random forums. If you're happy with your garbage, good for you God bless.
    93 RX-7
    2002 B6 A4 1.8T 6MT
    2002 B5 S4 2.7TT 6MT
    2003 C5 A6 2.7TT TIPTRONIC
    2003 G35 6MT
    2003 E46 M3 6MT
    2003 996TT 6MT X50
    2003 C5 RS6 Ebony Pearl/Silver Int.
    2003 2ND C5 RS6 Daytona Pearl/Ebony Int.
    2006 E46 BMW M3 SMG II

Current:
    2007 B7 S4 6MT w/ EVERY option
    2008 C350 with EVERY option
    BMW M6 SMG III w/ EVERY option

vehicle coming soon:
    2009 E93 M3 DCT

Remember if it can be flashed by a tuner it can be reflashed by a dealer. Many dealers do just that to reset to factory settings during service. The dealers can't do this to a "soldered" chip. Unless the tuner supplies you with a VAG interface containing his software so you can "reinstall" his program after a dealer reflashes you (and some do), it's just an expensive temporary upgrade.

Re: Re: AudiRS6Sport - My friend drives...

Originally posted by audirs6sport
    Thanks for the compliment. The real obvious factor would be the fact that you would not have wasted your money on a garbage software like GIAC if you knew what you were doing. GIAC is known as Garbage In A Chip period. This fact has already been proven many times in real world, not on random forums. If you're happy with your garbage, good for you God bless.
    Garbage??? Interesting....Jeff talked with me about that particular RS6 and said it was the only one out of several he has done with Garretts software that he was having some problems with.

Also, Garrett's software is probably some of the most widely used for the B5 S4 and 1.8t...and getting some of the best power numbers.

Jeff did work on an S4 recently that dyno'd 415 whp on 91 octane and did 11.8 @ 121 mph, again on 91 octane...that would seem to me, to be pretty impressive.

Now would I use them to chip my RS6....not sure, Garretts experience with the RS6 is not as great as other European tuners.

If this RS6 owner was so unhappy Garratt give a 30 money back guarantee...why didn't he just take it?

No tuner is perfect.
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

I have 27,000 miles on my RS6 and had the O.CT chip installed around 11,000 miles. I've had no major problems, it idles perfectly, runs very smooth on the highway and when gunning it. I do think the ESP does something weird under hard takeoffs and I don't know if the additional HP is making it do that weirdness. The car, under hard takeoffs, feels as though it has very slight power pulses in the drivetrain. When I turn off the ESP it doesn't seem to happen, however, I haven't done it enough times to say whether it is directly linked to the ESP being on/off.

Over time, with doing the hard takeoffs, I twisted the front driveshaft. I did a high speed run a couple of months ago and at 191mph the driveshaft sheared clean in two (needless to say that was an "interesting" time). I called Stratmosphere to talk to them about how I should approach this as a warranty issue with AOA and for the first time Stratmosphere didn't call me back -- and they still, to this day, have not. Hmm, a little dissapointing. There to sell you stuff and deal with the small questions but when something serious happened no where to be seen.

I really believe, for those of us actually pushing our RS6's, that if people inspected even their stock RS6 that their driveshaft may well be twisted but unless it's put under incredible high-speed stress they're not going to experience a failure. My theory.

Personally, I wouldn't chip an RS6 again, I merely wanted the speed governor off of there because it pisses me off they restrict such a car.

Bottom line, I think O.CT is a good chip. I like they don't make the engine override any of the factory safety settings for the sake of getting good dyno numbers. They seem to do a lot of real world and complex dyno testing as well as endurance testing.

Good luck with whomever you go with, just don't go to crazy with escalating the torque!
    Dark Knight

"See God, then brake."
    - Kevin Schwantz, 500GP World Champion
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    RS6 Goodwood Green
    S4 Triple Black Cab
    350Z Nismo . . . gone
    Boxster . . . gones
    CBR1000F, 900RR, ZX7R, ZX6R, GSX-R600 . . . gone

Re: Re: AudiRS6Sport - My friend drives...

You are pretty smart yet again. Which is more obvious?

1. Testing more than 1 car against one another at the same time requires more than 1 driver?

or

2. GIAC software for RS6 is GARBAGE?

Do you really think it is option 2? You lost out big time buddy. Why don't you make it OBVIOUS for everyone that GIAC is GARBAGE and qualify your statement.

You make such far fetched statements - how do you expect people to take you seriously.

All my statements about GIAC are from my experience. All I said was that it worked well for my car. Do you see me accusing other board members of lying or calling other tuner's products garbage?

Gee whiz......grow up.
    NWRS6
    2004 RS6 - GIAC Engine/Tip Chip, Hyperboost valves, & BMC air filters = 520hp + 530 ft/lb torque
    2006 997 C4S - BMC filter, factory Sport Exhaust & Aerokit (slower than RS6 but handles much better)

Past cars:
    2004 SL55
    2003 996TT
    2003 SL500
    2003 E500
    2002 X5 4.6
    2001 996 C4
    2000 Boxster
    1998 540i
    etc. etc.

Hey guy's
    its a chip debate on variouys chips
    not a contest of who's right or wrong or how many cars you can drive @ once.
    both of you grow up and contribute instead of arguing.

Originally posted by choppo
    Hey guy's
    its a chip debate on variouys chips
    not a contest of who's right or wrong or how many cars you can drive @ once.
    both of you grow up and contribute instead of arguing.
    Choppo-

This is a debate....however in the States there tends to be a lot of politics with regards to tuners and who is "best"...It seems that there is a lot bantering...and most of it just name calling between some of the parties. I have seen this first hand....some of the tuners tend to talk trash to their customers about their competitiors. This can have an effect on the customers perception of other tuners.

To me let the power numbers, 1/4 mile times, driveability and reliability speak for themelves.

I think OC.T has done some good work with the RS6 and MTM is the king kong of tuners for Audi, IMO. As far as REVO....audirs6sport is the only RS6 owner I know who has their product in a car...not to say their are not more. I know of about a 1/2 a dozen with GIAC's and only one or two with APR.

Since there is a limited # of RS6's in the states it seems there is hardly a big majority.....I think if you threw in the rest of the world....MTM would probably have the most RS6's done...but that is really a guess.

Cheers,
    Bauer

01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

this says it all:

Originally posted by Dark Knight
    I called Stratmosphere to talk to them about how I should approach this as a warranty issue with AOA and for the first time Stratmosphere didn't call me back -- and they still, to this day, have not. Hmm, a little dissapointing

at the end of the day, given the performance claims from any and everybody, the servise counts - I've chipped 4 S cars with Hoppen between 1992 and 1998 and no matter what at the end of the day Mike or Joe always called back and resolved any problem I've had over the years (and 100's of thousands of miles) - that included talking to my dealer about f....d up drive shaft with Lehman setup and dealer's bs about "too much power".

I have also chipped 2 A6 2.7tt in Europe directly with MTM - customer service was pleasant and quick and no problem experienced to date. They do return phone
    calls within 24 hrs regardless what the issue is.

IMHO no matter what the claim most of the US tuners make, they will not have, even remotely, the experience with RS6 as MTM (and perhaps some other Euro tuners) do, so, when I will chip, the choice is obvious.

You can read the numbers and you should test your chip setup - so far the numbers (or lack of) for O.CT in US did not impress me at all. All what was obvious on the board here was the development of the chip by a tuner on customer's cars.

And the usual disclaimer - I do not have any interest in ANY tuner or any affiliate, just a user.

Last edited by gjg; March 19th, 2005 at 22:34.

Re: Re: Re: AudiRS6Sport - My friend drives...

Originally posted by Bauer
    Garbage??? Interesting....Jeff talked with me about that particular RS6 and said it was the only one out of several he has done with Garretts software that he was having some problems with.

Also, Garrett's software is probably some of the most widely used for the B5 S4 and 1.8t...and getting some of the best power numbers.

Jeff did work on an S4 recently that dyno'd 415 whp on 91 octane and did 11.8 @ 121 mph, again on 91 octane...that would seem to me, to be pretty impressive.

Now would I use them to chip my RS6....not sure, Garretts experience with the RS6 is not as great as other European tuners.

If this RS6 owner was so unhappy Garratt give a 30 money back guarantee...why didn't he just take it?

No tuner is perfect.
    Are you talking about Arie's car? That car has way more than just a GIAC software.
    He did get his money back, after arguing with the guy for hours...
    Just ended up wasting his time and cost of dyno runs, but that's it...
    Last edited by audirs6sport; March 20th, 2005 at 02:19.
    93 RX-7
    2002 B6 A4 1.8T 6MT
    2002 B5 S4 2.7TT 6MT
    2003 G35 6MT
    2003 E46 M3 6MT
    2003 996TT 6MT X50
    2006 E46 BMW M3 SMG II

Current:

vehicle coming soon:
    2009 E93 M3 DCT

Re: Re: Re: AudiRS6Sport - My friend drives...

Originally posted by NWRS6
    You are pretty smart yet again. Which is more obvious?

1. Testing more than 1 car against one another at the same time requires more than 1 driver?

or

2. GIAC software for RS6 is GARBAGE?

Do you really think it is option 2? You lost out big time buddy. Why don't you make it OBVIOUS for everyone that GIAC is GARBAGE and qualify your statement.

You make such far fetched statements - how do you expect people to take you seriously.

All my statements about GIAC are from my experience. All I said was that it worked well for my car. Do you see me accusing other board members of lying or calling other tuner's products garbage?

Gee whiz......grow up.
    And all I've said was that from what I've seen with my own eyes, is that GIAC did not make the power they claim, in which as far as I am concerned = garbage. If you want proof, you can ask harmann automotive directly: Harman Motive Inc. 340 Van Ness Ave Torrance, CA Like I said, if you are happy with your product, great. I'm glad it's working out for you.
    Last edited by audirs6sport; March 20th, 2005 at 02:25.
    93 RX-7
    2002 B6 A4 1.8T 6MT
    2002 B5 S4 2.7TT 6MT
    2003 G35 6MT
    2003 E46 M3 6MT
    2003 996TT 6MT X50
    2006 E46 BMW M3 SMG II

Current:

vehicle coming soon:
    2009 E93 M3 DCT

Re: Re: Re: Re: AudiRS6Sport - My friend drives...

Are you talking about Arie's car? That car has way more than just a GIAC software.
    He did get his money back, after arguing with the guy for hours...
    Just ended up wasting his time and cost of dyno runs, but that's it...
    Nope....Brian Henderson....he did 415 WHEEL hp on 91 octane. Brians car has Innovative KO4'sn(some custom work to them), AWE feuling kit, exhaust and some other bits.

My car has just about the same set up...except the custom work on the turbo's. I have not dyno'd it yet as I just got it back from Moss. My butt dyno says it is more powerfull then the RS6.

It seems a lot of the big number tuned cars are running Garrett's/AWE software with all the stage three bits and pieces. KTR did some huge numbers but I believe that was single turbo car. I have not seen any other tuners put down the numbers that the GAIC based software has.....not to say they are not out there....I just have not seen it.

I dont really know about their basic ecu programs with out all the other up grades.
    Last edited by Bauer; March 20th, 2005 at 17:42.
    Bauer

01 S8

Well from what I see and what I read I have decided,
    I have a 100 k warranty and not going to depend on GIAC to flash my ECU everytime I go into service so the dealer does not know ( dealer can spot the GIAC program ) and as far as OCT and MTM all though I know MTM chips are fine the problem with both is you have voided your warranty if the dealer desires it and no way I will put myself in that position.
    Even If I got a spare ECU cloned to the car like GIAC and OC T says they can do you have to swap it in and out everytime and those screws and the holes will show wear unless you don't seal it and thats a option all though not worth it right now.
    heck with it stock and worry free

Maybe @ end or warranty I might consider it or if there is ever a software package that we could load and unload ourselfs that would be a possibilty.

Nice to put key in and not worry either LOL

I'm with you Choppo.

The car is scary fast as it is and I see no need to void the warranty.
    2004 Porsche 996TT X50 Speed Yellow
    2007 Porsche Cayman S Arctic Silver
    1989 Porsche 944 Turbo Guards Red
    2005 Mercedes S600 Black
    2005 Audi S4 Nogaro Blue
    2004 VW R32 Tornado Red (My Track Slut)
    2007 Yukon XL Denali Summit White
    2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 "Scooter"

Re: I'm with you Choppo.

Originally posted by DaveyKid
    The car is scary fast as it is and I see no need to void the warranty.
    If I were to agree w/ anyone daveykid its you bro
    your right
    Just had to piddle around and find out for myself

Originally posted by choppo
    Well from what I see and what I read I have decided,
    I have a 100 k warranty and not going to depend on GIAC to flash my ECU everytime I go into service so the dealer does not know ( dealer can spot the GIAC program ) and as far as OCT and MTM all though I know MTM chips are fine the problem with both is you have voided your warranty if the dealer desires it and no way I will put myself in that position.
    Even If I got a spare ECU cloned to the car like GIAC and OC T says they can do you have to swap it in and out everytime and those screws and the holes will show wear unless you don't seal it and thats a option all though not worth it right now.
    heck with it stock and worry free

Maybe @ end or warranty I might consider it or if there is ever a software package that we could load and unload ourselfs that would be a possibilty.

Nice to put key in and not worry either LOL

You should try revo. I have mine on performance mode all the time, and they have never hassled me with it. More than likely it would depend upon the dealer you visit. Some are just really hardass, picky about everything. Some just don't give a f^%* =)
    93 RX-7
    2002 B6 A4 1.8T 6MT
    2002 B5 S4 2.7TT 6MT
    2003 G35 6MT
    2003 E46 M3 6MT
    2003 996TT 6MT X50
    2006 E46 BMW M3 SMG II

Current:

vehicle coming soon:
    2009 E93 M3 DCT

i have revo chip and no tip chip, i love it

Very easy to use as far as swithing modes. (stock/chiped)
    392whp 412wtq on Harmon dyno. With 91 craptane, not bad. i also cant wait to try 100 octane mode. theft mode is real cool too.
    no tip chip because im afraid to sodder on to the tcu, but im about to put on some PSS9 coil overs and big wheels. So im sure this will give me warrenty issues at the dealer anyway.
    As far as the butt dyno, this thing halls a-s. Did i mention smooooth. very nice dyno graphs.
    since then i added a custom cat back exhaust.
    the car sounds amazing.
    Anyway two thmbs up for REVO