Thread: B7 RS4 in motorsport

Registered User 5000S old skool's Avatar
    Danbury, CT... overrun by japanese rice tuners

B7 RS4 in motorsport

Does anyone have any ideas what Racing Championships and Series the RS4 might be in? I sure hope it will be in the SCCA GT Series here in the states.

Champion Racing will be replacing their RS6 with an RS4, in the Speed GT Championship. It's funny how they keep beating the sportscar based racecars with their luxury sedan. They do get punished for it though, with engine restrictors and weight penalties.

http://www.speedarena.com/news/publi...cle_5568.shtml
    ^^^this has now been confirmed

Atlanta, Georgia and Ramat-Hasharon,Israel
    exellent news. thanks clam.

i cant wait to see these in action.
    :thumb: Buckle Up and Enjoy The Ride.

Registered User 5000S old skool's Avatar
    Danbury, CT... overrun by japanese rice tuners
    Go Champion Racing!

where are the speed gt rs6s now?

where did the old cars go?

Atlanta, Georgia and Ramat-Hasharon,Israel

Re: where are the speed gt rs6s now?

Originally posted by mr.zeke
    where did the old cars go?
    thats what my brother and i were saying to each other over the last weekend... speedGT was kind of boring withouth them, IMHO.
    :thumb: Buckle Up and Enjoy The Ride.

Please, Speed GT is NOT a race series, its a marketing LOVE-IN.

Don't believe me, look at the lap times for those Corvettes and Vipers, and compare them with the cars which run in ALMS GT1. Need further convincing, look at the GT3 Cup cars which do so well at Daytona, and compare them to what happens in Speed GT. And its not the drivers, guys like Bill Auberlin and Wolf Henzler are world class.

Speed GT is a very expensive way of marketing cars.

Why would anybody want to race an RS4? It is too heavy, too big and the engine is in the wrong place (in front of the front axle). Very few RACE series accept 4WD cars. If you want to watch this sort of car race, watch the WTCC or the BTCC. However, there is very exciting racing in the DTM. The DTM cars are the German equivalent of something that is well done in America - silhouette versions of ordinary saloons which are mammothly fast and expensive and almost anything goes when they get out there. The drivers are fun, young guns who go straight on to F1 and ex F1 pilots.

R+C

Originally posted by Nordschleife
    Why would anybody want to race an RS4? It is too heavy, too big and the engine is in the wrong place (in front of the front axle).
    It worked quite well with the RS6...
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Originally posted by Erik
    It worked quite well with the RS6...

Erik

That is NOT racing, its a high speed marketing drive past with sound effects.

Nobody seriously believes the RS6 is faster than a Corvette on the race track. As I say check the ALMS lap times.

R+C

That is NOT racing, its a high speed marketing drive past with sound effects.
    So why did the S4 and the RS6 win?

Did the Corvettes, BMWs and Porsches let the Audis pass by just to be kind, or did Audi pay the organisers more money?
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Erik

Check the regulations. All the cars are "Equalised", and you may well ask what that means.
    You can make Corvettes and Vipers and GT3s into real race cars that out perform any other GT class cars, but NOT in Speed GT.

The Speed GT regulations cripple the cars so all of them limp at roughly the same speed. If one learns to hobble a bit faster than the others, then its given more weight or less air or skinnier tyres or all of these restrictions. Cadillac made a real mistake early last year and whoopped the field in the early race, so it was back to the garage to be properly crippled. And Audi won the Series again at the end of the season.

Its very, very artificial and if you pulled some of the moves the DTM guys do, you would be banned from racing. This series is all about marketing, mostly to old people (Cadillac, Volvo.......)

R+C

The Speed GT regulations cripple the cars so all of them limp at roughly the same speed. If one learns to hobble a bit faster than the others, then its given more weight or less air or skinnier tyres or all of these restrictions. Cadillac made a real mistake early last year and whoopped the field in the early race, so it was back to the garage to be properly crippled. And Audi won the Series again at the end of the season.

R+C
    But our Audis "hobbled" on to two consecutive victories

Yes, it might not be DTM, but it is FAR less expensive and despite the fact it may not be "real" racing to some, it is very entertaining. And in the end, isn't THAT what racing is all about.

Look at F1, The pinnacle of Motorsports. So what. For the last few years it's been relatively boring to watch. Why? Certainly not because it's "real" racing but that Ferrari had done such a better job than everyone else. Should Ferrari be penalized with additional weights and such, I'd say no, but in the end, it's boring as all get out.

Only THIS year has so far proved interesting. Why? Because the competition is CLOSER, therefor fans don't know who's going to win (look, there goes Ferrari, again ).

So maybe it is the WWF of racing, but it is sure fun to watch

Ben