Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: subaru

Benman

I know for a fact that Impreza's lap the ring sub 8minutes as I have seen them... they are called a Subaru Impreza STi Spec C or somesuch elongated name. The link to at least one sub 8min ref is
    http://www.litimports.co.uk/subaru/my05_spec.html These guys actually build an impreza that puts out 350bhp based on the 2.5l block that usually goes to the USA. Please remember that the USA generally doesn't get the high power Subarus as we do here in the UK.

I guess what I am actually trying to say is we own big comfy cars but they weigh nearly 2 tons without driver etc and they can't compete in the twisties with something that probably weighs 1.3 tons. Irrespective of their power and top speed, they actually handle like barges. I love mine, I don't want to run Audi down as they make some lovely cars, but I know which one I'd rather have when it gets tight and twisty.

In fact - if we take it to extremes, a Radical is the car for the ring, an RS6 for the autobahn, and a subaru for everyday driving especially on UK roads.
    Last edited by marks6; March 7th, 2005 at 16:34.

Originally posted by marks6
    Benman

I know for a fact that Impreza's lap the ring sub 8minutes as I have seen them... they are called a Subaru Impreza STi Spec C or somesuch elongated name. The link to at least one sub 8min ref is
    http://www.litimports.co.uk/subaru/my05_spec.html These guys actually build an impreza that puts out 350bhp based on the 2.5l block that usually goes to the USA. Please remember that the USA generally doesn't get the high power Subarus as we do here in the UK.

In fact - if we take it to extremes, a Radical is the car for the ring, an RS6 for the autobahn, and a subaru for everyday driving especially on UK roads.
    That link doesn't show a "factory" Subaru. It shows a car that's been "tuned" albeit approved. With that rational, take MTM and have them put the Club Sport up against it. With R Compound tires it too could sub 8 min the "Ring" (but more expensively! )

As for the Radical, that is the ABSOLUTE BEST TRACK CAR FOR THE $$$ but I wouldn't want to commute in it

Ben

Benman

The Spec C is a factory built car... it is built by Subaru Technica which are the equivalent of the RS family in Audi, the M class for BMW... etc. And given it is Standard when it leaves STi it would blow away a Standard RS6+ around the ring by many seconds... However, that's not my point. My point is you wouldn't want to thrash an RS6 through bends because it doesn't do bends well... I will prepare for everyone to tell me I am wrong on this board, but a two ton car with twisties doesn't go well. It gets an ok Ring time because of it's power on the straights, not its handling through the bends

MTM stuff is great btw

I saw a stock RS6 turn 13.375 for the quarter at a drag strip. Beside him was an sti; beat the RS6 at 13.2. sti driver said his only mods were air filter, exhaust & downpipes. But that's enough to make the difference, don't you think -- if both cars were stock, the RS6 would win? Especially since both drivers agree that, towards the end, the RS6 was closing the gap.

In a straight line I would guess RS6 and STi would be reasonably close and then RS6 would pull away. Rember STi for the USA is I think usually 265bhp. Jap version is now around 300bhp Spec C is a stripped out STi with a bit extra, around 320bhp I think.

Anyway... this is a straight line again chaps

if they had one of those for subaru id put it up right now haha. Past 100 or so an RS6 shouldent have a problem walking on a subaru but on some back roads you will see the results of the weight diff.

On a backroad in the UK the RS6 is not a great car. Probably helped it to last place in the recent Evo shoot-out... albeit of the top cars of the year. Really have to remember what these cars are for, and screaming around bends isn't their natural habitat... Give them a series of long sweepers and some straights and they are quite superb

Put a manual in the RS6, and launch it at 6000 Rpm like the sti's do at the drag strip and you will never have a problem beating him.
    My car:
    2010 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition in WRB

Originally posted by nyrs6
    Put a manual in the RS6, and launch it at 6000 Rpm like the sti's do at the drag strip and you will never have a problem beating him.
    Oh oh, don't get Mark started on straight line accelleration again!

Weight is the enemy....heavy cars don't do well in the twisties...even with the likes of DRC. I love my RS6 but for fun on the track the S4 is a much better car...even though it is not the lightest thing as well.

My friend has an S4 as well that he tracks....we have similar power and suspension, he had better tires this weekend but his car is about 700lbs lighter then mine. He walked away from me whenever he felt like it.
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Benman, I think it's really sweet that you love your Audi so much that you can overlook its many foibles... can't knock a believer

Originally posted by rks838
    I always love hearing about how RS6 can munch up other cars for lunch, but you can't say he doesn't have a real car. He's got a car that costs 1/3 the price, has half the cylinders, half the displacement, 2/3 the hp, and probably all the thrills of your car, esp. with a manual. The fact that it's from a company with less prestige does not automatically make your car better. And he doesn't need to respect you just cause you win a race, have a more luxurious car, or pay more 3 times to amount for yours than he did for his. Demanding respect with an autobox is putting your self in a difficult situation in the first place...
    The best example I've seen that illustrates the diference between bettwen an Audi Quattro and a Subaru is the working models of their respective transmissions on display at Geneva. The Subaru's looks cheap, unsophisticated and not very robust. The Audi's looks like it means business.

I don't drive a Subaru because I can't afford to: it ultimately lasts less long, is less robust, less capable in tricky conditions, less comfortable and loses its value more quickly, certainly in this marketplace.

Originally posted by marks6
    Benman, I think it's really sweet that you love your Audi so much that you can overlook its many foibles... can't knock a believer
    Just like any good Husband or Wife would of their mate!

Subarus are awesome cars for the money, don't get me wrong. It's just that this is a similar debate to a Ferrari 360 vs the Corvette Z06. Similar performance for WAY UNSIMILAR prices. It comes down to quality and name brand. No Ferrari owner would admit that a Corvette is as good as his Prancing Horse so why on Earth would I admit that a Subie is as good as my Four Ringed Beast!

Ben

Benman, Good points, we agree I think.

Tailpipe, not really sure about the less capable in tricky conditions and loses value quicker...? Which tricky conditions have you found the Subaru lacking in out of interest when compared to the Audi. And quite difficult for a £16000-£30,000 car to depreciate as quickly as a £58000 car... yes that's the relative price of an Impreza (in various guises) vs an RS6 here in the UK... I know which one depreciates quickest in the UK... an RS6 would lose £10k in the first 5,000 miles... hard for a £16k impreza to lose 60+% in the same period surely
    Last edited by marks6; March 12th, 2005 at 01:01.
    All that glisters is not gold...