Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Hot news! First pics in the World of the new Audi RS4 B7

Originally posted by J.Seven
    Are you refering to the Lotus Omega? if you are, that car hasn´t the slightly chance against a E39M5 let alone the E60M5.
    377Hp dated from 1990 doesn´t give him much chance vs nowadyas high powered limos, but indeed it is a very special car.

J.Seven
    Apologies to Benman for jumping in. The Lotus Carlton, as sold in the UK and tested by Performance Car, ran 0-60 mph in 4.8s and 0-100 in 10.6s. It has a power to weight ratio of 231 bhp/ton, compared to the E39 M5's ratio of 236. The E39 M5 in most tests has not managed 0-100 times as low, strangely enough (maybe a torque issue - M5 369 lbs./ft. vs. Carlton 419 lbs./ft.?)
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

Originally posted by SpinEcho
    Apologies to Benman for jumping in.
    None needed.
    This was EXACTLY my point. The Carlton was (is) a great car and just because the new (at the time) M5 couldn't beat it in a straight line, the mags were singing praises about it's handling and everything else.

And that's my point about the RS 4. So, maybe it won't beat the new M5. But it's certainly more than just straight line #s. It does afterall have a very similar power to weight ratio and I think most of us will agree that it's better (dynamically) to have a vehicle that weights 2000 lbs with 200 HP than 4000 lbs with 400 HP. The RS 4 is not this extreme but is (reportedly) @500lbs less than the M5, yet keeps the power to weight ratio VERY close. So we should see some interesting road tests!

Ben

Originally posted by Benman

And that's my point about the RS 4. So, maybe it won't beat the new M5. But it's certainly more than just straight line #s. It does afterall have a very similar power to weight ratio and I think most of us will agree that it's better (dynamically) to have a vehicle that weights 2000 lbs with 200 HP than 4000 lbs with 400 HP. The RS 4 is not this extreme but is (reportedly) @500lbs less than the M5, yet keeps the power to weight ratio VERY close. So we should see some interesting road tests!

Ben
    Right on the money, Benman,

I think the RS4 is going to be a lot, lot closer to the M5 in performance terms than anyone imagined it would be. The engine is a work of art and should really move the game on in performance car terms. But the real surprise, should be the amount of traction andpoise in and out of corners thanks to 4WD, suspension tweaks and improved steering.

Everyone is speculating about how much the RS4 will cost (including me!) but if it costs under £50,000 - and yet is within a gnat's whisker of the M5's performance - then it will start to look like great value. I would be extremely surprised if the RS4 cost more than £52,000 fully loaded, because at that price a 4.2 FSi A6 with air suspension starts to look very attractive.

With the new RS4 at a power to weight ratio of about 255 bhp/ton, and the E60 M5 at about 280 bhp/ton, I don't think there's any question as to which car will be quicker on the road and in dry conditions, including in the twisties. If we're talking "gnat's whiskers", the RS4 will be a little bit faster than the RS6 in a straight line.

But as many have pointed out, the real world has rain and snow.

The real question is, can Quattro Gmbh match the handling neutrality, steering feel and suspension control of the best BMW's? So far, this has been out of Audi's reach.
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

I'm beginning to see that many, many pieces of evidence that point to the new RS4 being faster than its stated times --- except the torque number. It's power to weight number is very important, though, so I think we're gonna have to wait for a magazine test before we can really conclude anything...why am I saying this, you guys already know...

LOTUS Carlton is a very fast car...So people even said that and good running LOTUS in our days, is as fast or even faster then E39 M5....From my experience, M5 was faster, I've killed one so badly....

From traffic lights I've been killed many time by old RS4's...2nd gear launch...I was faster...

E55 is a good option, but poor handling...

I guess New M5 once agin will the Winner...Power to weight make all the difference...+ loss of acceleration with 4wd...

Originally posted by SpinEcho
    The real question is, can Quattro Gmbh match the handling neutrality, steering feel and suspension control of the best BMW's? So far, this has been out of Audi's reach.
    I guess we all keeps the fingers crosed and hope for that.
    I know im hoping for it, go audi(i wounder how are you to drive RS4) :
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Yeah make RS4 Faaaster!!!

So we can all be Happy!!!

Atlanta, Georgia and Ramat-Hasharon,Israel

Some info ....

from Autocar...

" Performance -

The RS4 is spectacularly fast by four-door standards. The headline figure is 0-62mph in a claimed 4.8sec – 0.8sec faster than the S4 and 0.4sec inside the M3’s official figure. Those who have experienced the new car’s standing-start acceleration say it lacks the neck-straining take-off of its predecessor’s, although this is compensated for by greater mid-range shove.

Top speed is a limited 155mph, although without intervention the RS4 would haul close to 180mph at the 8250rpm cut-out in sixth gear"

Full Article
    :thumb: Buckle Up and Enjoy The Ride.

As well from autocar!

"""In a bid to provide the RS4 with a more entertaining feel, the characteristics of the quattro system have been heavily revised. Instead of delivering drive in a classic 50:50 front-to-rear arrangement, the new
    system doles out a rear-biased 40:60 split. Insiders admit there is a slight trade-off in traction, but it is a drawback they are prepared to absorb in return for improved poise and balance."""

"""The RS4 gets the latest ESP (electronic stability program) from Bosch. It gains a higher threshold, permits greater levels of slip and cycles in shorter bursts to provide what insiders describe as more predictable on-the-limit behaviour""".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audi is getting moore and moore to the BMW way. Audi know this time that drivingjoy is importent, not just a fast car

As far as quattro they are going the Porsche way.
    Soon Audi could deliver drivingjoy, i hope its relly in the new RS4.

What i read i dont see any upgrades on the DRC? Well the RS4 is not as heawy as My RS6 but any way i had my hops for a system like say the ABC sport in SL55 or simular. Which is way better than the DRC on the RS6.
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Here's some more fire to the lap time discussion.

On the contrary of what most people think.

The old RS4 vs. old M5, guess which was the fastest?

RS4 vs. M5, the old ones.

RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Remember the vote at AMS? http://www.auto-motor-sport.de/

Guess who is the :king:

1. Audi RS 41 %

2. BMW M 34 %

3. Mercedes AMG 14 %

4. Opel OPC 8 %

5. Ford ST 3 % :trash:
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

The RS4 is faster and look at the air temp, the M5 tested on a MUCH cooler day.
    http://kak.net/audi/audi-r8r.htm

Just read that the new flat bottom sport steering wheel will not be coming to North America... is this true?

Not like it matters to me

Originally posted by Tanner
    Just read that the new flat bottom sport steering wheel will not be coming to North America... is this true?

where did you read that?
    if that true.. then what a shame.

if i were in the position i'd prob order it from europe and get it installed here... whats the deal with all these weird US specs lately?

Originally posted by Tanner

ford, will get one...

its not exactly flat bottom but... hehe

Click Me

just for the laughs.. i know its a concept.

:eye: here is a quote from the website ...
    "This is nicer than ANYTHING out from Audi or Mercedes!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_7673.jpg 
Views:	820 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	2538  

Originally posted by RS4Ever
    whats the deal with all these weird US specs lately?
    I guess us Americans should be "gratefull" the Man let's us get any of these "unsafe" vehicles in the first place!

Ben

That ford interior is nasty. Welcome to 1973!!
    http://kak.net/audi/audi-r8r.htm