Thread: Thermal boost cut now a daily problem..

Thermal boost cut now a daily problem..

Hi Team..
    OK. Well a few weeks ago I posted about a symptom my beast presented me with. To refresh a bit, the motor decided one day that it was too hot after normal street city driving and to my surprise, it cut the boost off completely and left me with an anemic v8 that was shifting at 56-58k instead of redline and felt like it was on impulse power instead of warp drive so to speak.. There was no CEL or warning, all gauges read normal. oil temp and water temp normal..It just cut all boost.. no turbos.. I called my tech and he said bring it right over.. he found no fault codes and when we went for a ride he confirmed that this has been happening to 5 other RS6 owners too. We made a few test runs at WOT and he stored all info into the computer.. Then we stopped, turned off the motor.. he reset abunch of stuff and I restarted,... The boost was back altho somewhat reduced.. he has sent the files to his superiors and I am taking it into the shop a week from today for a 10k oil change and a few small fixes.. Since this event, the car now repeats this behavior daily. as soon as it gets up to normal operating temps and has been driven for about 1 hr in the city, the boost will disappear and I am left with no power..no warnings etc.. This is especially dangerous if it happens when you are making a left turn at an intersection say, and you want the power to make a fast move only to find it has been cut due to this problem.. could be dangerous.. The outside air temp her in Socal has been in the 50-60's and this car had no problems over the summer in Vegas.. so its something that has happened recently.. My tech confirmed to me that the readings of air temp at the intake was 87deg.C .. thats pretty high. in fact, we suspect this may be the culprit as he says these are the temps we see on hot days after hard driving..not like I was doing.. I have called the RS6 line and asked them to find out how this thermal protection program is supposed to work.. ie. at what temps does the ECU tell the motor to begin to roll back boost etc.. The fact that there is no warning of this impending power loss to the driver seems a bit dicey as it happens suddenly and there is no alert tone or warning light to prepare you.. I feel Audi should alert us to the specs for this so we can know when we are entering that zone...I'd like to hear their reasons for not informing us.. I'll keep ya posted as to how this resolves itself..

That sounds like a royal pain. I hope everything gets taken care of for good.

Every day I read this stuff I make it a point to count my lucky stars with regard to my Beast. I even spent eight days at the track plus two days of autocross last year, so I'm not exactly babying the car. It's amazing how the production quality was so uneven. I don't quite get it. I wonder if all RS6's have the propensity for these problems, or if just some bad batches were churned out. I hate to think I'm sitting on a time bomb, especially considering I still plan to track it next spring and fall.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

This goes back to my question about the newer model number engine which was posted here some time ago.

There were some spec's mentioned, I don't recall, had something to do with replacing something which was notible more expensive for the 'newer' engine VIN numbers....

So, I have to ask, is your VIN more than or less than that 905xxx cutoff?? I.E. Newer engine or older engine????

Mike

JJV-MA I am assuming that perhaps yours is the newer???

Hy Octane older??

Hi Dr A

My build date is 11/03. High 9057**...

My engine is also after that cut-off, and I was already driving my car when Hy's car was still being built.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

I think it was Andre who posted a thread a while back about a gap between the air intake and the interior of the engine compartment that allowed the car to suck hot air from the engine rather than outside air. There was also a fix detailed. Pretty simple, I did mine in about 5 minutes. Try a search.

Originally posted by JJV-MA

Every day I read this stuff I make it a point to count my lucky stars with regard to my Beast. I even spent eight days at the track plus two days of autocross last year, so I'm not exactly babying the car. It's amazing how the production quality was so uneven.
    As do I.

Sorry to hear your troubles Hy Octane. This is not something you can live with as it's happening when the air temperature is low! Just imagine what the air temp at the intake will be when it's August and 110 degrees outside! This is most definately a priority to get fixed now while it's nice and cool out. I would hate to think what it would do in the summer time.

Ben

Hey Ben!
    Howreyadoin? Are you going to be at any of the club meets coming up?

Yah. Its a few little things but it is a new car.. I suspect we'll get it sorted next week when she goes under the scope for her 10k checkup..

Cough please..

Originally posted by Hy Octane
    Hey Ben!
    Howreyadoin? Are you going to be at any of the club meets coming up?

Yah. Its a few little things but it is a new car.. I suspect we'll get it sorted next week when she goes under the scope for her 10k checkup..

Cough please..

I'm feeling not too shabby (except for the dizzy thing). I won't be able to attend any upcoming events due to not being able to drive even close to "spirited" (makes me miss the Mesa Grande drive, I'm sure you remember ). If my condition improves then most certainly (Bauer has given me a heads up on something to try) and will love to join all of you. If not, I'll need to wait till it improves.

Hope all is well with you and the family. Tell your son I say hello. (well, actually he's a little young for beers but you get the idea )

Ben

I'm in the 904's

Never had that problem. I'd post my last 6 digits of my VIN but I got my hand slapped for that on Audiworld!
    2004 Porsche 996TT X50 Speed Yellow
    2007 Porsche Cayman S Arctic Silver
    1989 Porsche 944 Turbo Guards Red
    2005 Mercedes S600 Black
    2005 Audi S4 Nogaro Blue
    2004 VW R32 Tornado Red (My Track Slut)
    2007 Yukon XL Denali Summit White
    2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 "Scooter"