Thread: Please help with winter tire reco --

Please help with winter tire reco --

Well, I waited too long, and there are apparently no Dunlop M3 WinterSports to be had anywhere (I was going to grab the 255/40-18).

The guy I spoke with at TireRack recommended Pirelli W 240 Snow Sport, but I balked because a) there are only 3 user reviews on their website, none favorable and none from RS6 owners, and b) it is the only winter tire they have in stock in that size, so I assume they just want to clear out of the merchandise that isn't moving.

What is a good alternative to the Dunlops? I don't need the greatest tire in the world, just something to get me through NYC and surrounding area winter with some decent performance.

Many thanks in advance.

Pirelli 240

Hi:

The Pirellis are not as good as the Dunlops BUT, if it's snowing, you won't drive too fast anyways right? I have the M3s on my RS6. They are good but not great for aggresive driving so I tone down my enthusiasm with them on.

In Canada, the M3s are still available and can be shipped to you but they are expensive....US $312 per tire I believe.

My friend had the 240s on his 996 C4 and he thought they were OK. I am sure with Quattro, your RS6 will be excellent with either 240 or M3.
    NWRS6
    2004 RS6 - GIAC Engine/Tip Chip, Hyperboost valves, & BMC air filters = 520hp + 530 ft/lb torque
    2006 997 C4S - BMC filter, factory Sport Exhaust & Aerokit (slower than RS6 but handles much better)

Past cars:
    2004 SL55
    2003 996TT
    2003 SL500
    2003 E500
    2002 X5 4.6
    2001 996 C4
    2000 Boxster
    1998 540i
    etc. etc.

Have you thought of going with All Season tires?
    I used to have Michelin Pilot Sports A/S on my S4, and they were pretty decent all year round, including Winter.

Can you get 235/45/18's? I run those, they are within 1/4 inch of the diameter of the 255's and narrower is better for snow.

I have the Pirellie 240 snow sports on my RS6. They are 255/18's. I wanted the 225s but the tire rack was all out of them last December when I got the car.

I have had no problems with the full width snow tires, and I live in the most northern part of New York State, a stones through to the evil Canadian Border. We get TONS of snow here and I have drive through the worst roads without a problem.

I have also found the dry weather handling to be fine, not as good as the Stock Dunlops but fine for winter tires. The road noise is not a problem.

The fit is a slight issue, since when the car bottoms out on a bump the front tires rub in the wheel well. I cannot see the exact point but I know it is rubbing, but only on large bumps and when going too fast (lol, no such thing as too fast in the RS6).

I had the Winter 220's on my A6 but the 240s allow higher speeds. The rims I got from the tire rack are S4 replicas and look good on the car.

Mike

I'm was in the same quandry...

I went with Continental ContiExtremes an all season tire that worked well on my old S6.
    2003 RS6
    1998 S/C Viper GTS
    1969 Boss 302
    1966 Mustang Conv

and the wife's rides...

I have got a set of the Dunlops for our S8....I like them a lot , quiet on dry roads and pretty good handeling. On the snow they get the job done. BUt wouldn't go pushing them too hard.
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

I would love to know who in Canada has the 255/40 DunlopM3 in their stock. I had a close call last week w/ a pothole. destroyed the replica wheel but tire survived. Attempted to stock an extra tire but to no avail. I believe that the Dunlop M3 in this size is completely depleted from everybodys' inventory. I am hoping someone will prove me wrong. Thanks for the help in advance!!!

I got 225 Pirelli 240:s. Since we don't get very snowy roads down here (although much rain so staying put on my 20" summer shoes is too much excitement for me) ...My biggest concern was the sound but I was pleasantly surprised.

Dunlop M3's, 225-width here. This tire gives adequate snow and ice traction, IMO, but its real strength is on the highway, where it is quite stable and quiet for a snow tire. It's actually quieter than my OEM SP9000's at certain speeds! (ridiculous)
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

where it is quite stable and quiet for a snow tire. It's actually quieter than my OEM SP9000's at certain speeds! (ridiculous)
    Dunlop M3's, 255/40/18 here (not as much snow here) - I can definitely second the noise issue with stock 19" SP9000.

George

JA, I've run with both winter tires...

Had the Dunlops on my "00" 4.2 and the Michelins on my current RS6. The Michelins were 255/40-18 and the Dunlops on my 4.2 were smaller of course, but standard size for the 4.2 at the time.

In a nutshell, the Dunlops are better all round tires. Quieter, better in snow and I personally think they handle better, BUT by a tiny margin in all these categories you and I will never truly push to the limits. For 99% of what we do, they are both tires that are unmatched. For that 1%, we probably shouldn't be on the road!

I too ran into the same problem with not reacting quick enough and Tire Rack running out. They recommended the Michelins and quite honestly, they have never steered me wrong. They don't appear to have as aggressive of a tread pattern as the Dunlops and while I haven't tried them in deep snow yet, they were fine in 3-4". The Dunlops I put through the paces and was easily comfortable in a foot of snow and more. Perhaps it was the quattro? My "00" 4.2 did not have ESP so I know that couldn't have helped me any.

Don't think you'll go wrong with the Michelins.
    2004 Porsche 996TT X50 Speed Yellow
    2007 Porsche Cayman S Arctic Silver
    1989 Porsche 944 Turbo Guards Red
    2005 Mercedes S600 Black
    2005 Audi S4 Nogaro Blue
    2004 VW R32 Tornado Red (My Track Slut)
    2007 Yukon XL Denali Summit White
    2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 "Scooter"