Thread: My first RS6 drive

Talking My first RS6 drive

Well, guess I got my chance to drive the RS6 far later than most of you guys.

But anyways, after 4months of waiting for registration, the familys RS6 is now rolling

I had a chance to drive it both in traffic and in high speed on the A8 Highway in south of france. (There are lots of hills in that area since it's the end of the alpes, and the A8 goes around the hills so you have a higway with pretty sharp curves).

I was amazed that it was so different compared to the RS4, so much more grunt from lov revs, and so easy to lauch out from the highway pay-stops. (0-200km/h straights ) Ok, the easy to launch bit is the auto.

But then it feels like it's not that fast, but the speedo thinks different. The handling is also great, when I first drove the car slowly it feelt big and heavy and I was wondering how the RS6 could be so good around the track that ppl have proven over and over...
    But as soon as you change from cruising to smashing the trottle and turning hard, it was like glued to the road. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde syndrome

I've driven from cannes to frejus so many times I pretty much know every curv and straight (and radar controll, which Montoya missed with his X5), and with a Maserati 3200GT you dont feel half as secure as the RS6, usually you go around 180-200 max before the turns, and then break, but with the RS6 I keept 190+ all the time, and that is; without the feeling of going even remotly close the the cars perfomance edges.
    To not be too unfair to the 3200GT, it has its fron registration plate mounted in the way of the aerodynamics, making the ride "bumpy" in speeds over 160. But anyways, it doesnt stand a chance against the RS6.

On my way back home I tried some smaller roads in the hills, to give the shiftpaddles a shot, but I got stuck behind a large truck. (Physically impossible to pass since it takes 3/4 of the road.)

Up again on the A8, a Scaglietti is blocking my way in the fast lane. On the straight he got about 1.5 carlengs away frome me before the curves, and then he just couldent get way, he even had to let the RS6 pass since he didn't dare to push his ferrari harder by some reason.

Well, more to come when Im going to france next time

Btw. if there is any rs6 driver from sthlm around, I would love to get a chance to test my stage3 rs4 against your car in a highway race to see if there is a difference in speeds between 50km/h and 200.

AWesome write up! i enjoyed it

could you post some pics/impressions of your stg3 rs4 vs this rs6?

would love to see the two next to each other

Thanks for the reminder of why we love the RS6!
    Also enjoyed your Dr. Jekyll - Mr. Hyde comment. I've noticed that too!

Among the other cars you mention, the only one I'm familiar with is the RS4, and even that by reputation only. But its reputation is such that hearing you tell of the RS6's performance superiority is music to my ears!

Atlanta, Georgia and Ramat-Hasharon,Israel
    wow
    sounds very cool and fun man

congradulations.. one day i'll use your line also ("Well, guess I got my chance to drive the RS6 far later than most of you guys") - one day

"When on the Streets, dont doubt the Beast!"

nice pic.
    :thumb: Buckle Up and Enjoy The Ride.

xscream

Glad you enjoyed your drive. I always enjoy every drive in The Beast! Got to enjoy it again as the mrs and I went up to Monterey for the Le Mans finale. Was an exciting trip

Ben

xscream very nice report and congrats on your new toy
    I can see that you have already tested some beautiful beasts , would love to hear what you have to say abouth the 3200Gt vs RS4 vs RS6

I found very strange that you want to see if the RS6 is faster than a stage III RS4 A sotck RS4 is already quicker than a RS6 so I believe a st III RS4 must have at last 450Hp. I believe that just by driving these two beats for one minute you should feel already a big difference, donīt you?

Sport auto tested 4 RS4 with 450 to 460Hp and the results were :

450Hp B&B RS4 0-200Kph 17,4 (19" wheels)

450Hp Evotech RS4 0-200Kph 15,5

458Hp MTM RS4 0-200Kph 14,8

460Hp Sportec RS4 0-200 14,1

The tuned RS6 that Iīsee were far from the 14Sec time to 0-200 and the stock are making 17,5 so I really canīt understand your doubts.

J.Seven

Originally posted by J.Seven
    I can see that you have already tested some beautiful beasts , would love to hear what you have to say abouth the 3200Gt vs RS4 vs RS6

I found very strange that you want to see if the RS6 is faster than a stage III RS4 A sotck RS4 is already quicker than a RS6 so I believe a st III RS4 must have at last 450Hp. I believe that just by driving these two beats for one minute you should feel already a big difference, donīt you?

Sport auto tested 4 RS4 with 450 to 460Hp and the results were :

450Hp B&B RS4 0-200Kph 17,4 (19" wheels)

450Hp Evotech RS4 0-200Kph 15,5

458Hp MTM RS4 0-200Kph 14,8

460Hp Sportec RS4 0-200 14,1

The tuned RS6 that Iīsee were far from the 14Sec time to 0-200 and the stock are making 17,5 so I really canīt understand your doubts.

J.Seven
    Its not about doubt as i understod it. Its about having fun. Well on line race is in my mind not to exating. But i can go there even if i know i will bit the dust. As fore sure i will against a stage 3.
    But on track its so much more about skills and not horse power and thats in my mind more intresting.

I had 3 stock RS4 before my RS6. And what i like most is DRC in RS6. If RS4 had this it would be fun. The gearbox is not to funny in RS4, (not in RS6 as well but doing well) working ok but far from sporty and exaxt like M3 E46. But then again RS4 had no limp mode and thats cool. But expensive to AUDI.

If comperd RS4 stock to RS6 stock in o-100 and o-200 i would say they are in the same match. One thing is what is printed in press and sure 17sek is faster than 18+ . But in real one sek going side by side is a small diffrence. And its about how you launch and change, or breake if launching automatic. There are RS4 stock that go better and is a litel faster than other RS4 stock.
    Many cars go better or worse even if stock depending on a nubers of things.

Manny times i have seen cars that should have so and so much power but not relly preforming, not saying its no god tuners out there. I Did drive RUFs R turbo :MTM:

We should not forget that the placebo effect is great, it has been shown many times by sientist in many areas.

And not all tunners make it hapen. Espesally many smaller in Sweden for ex. hey leave our car and for 200usd i give you 100hp and thease numbers to 100km.
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
    [B]
    I had 3 stock RS4 before my RS6. And what i like most is DRC in RS6. If RS4 had this it would be fun. The gearbox is not to funny in RS4, (not in RS6 as well but doing well) working ok but far from sporty and exaxt like M3 E46. But then again RS4 had no limp mode and thats cool. But expensive to AUDI.
    If you donīt mind my asking, why did you have three RS4 that never saw a tuner hand, and than you decided to drop some serious horse power on your RS6?

J.Seven

I will post other reports later

The reason why im wondering about the difference is that the cars feels so different, the RS6 feels slower, but since the whole speed experience is different, and the RS6 has a much calmer acceleration and the wind noise is much lower, it's hard to tell exactly how much faster the rs4 is. Therefor it would be fun to have a race

Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
    Its not about doubt as i understod it. Its about having fun. Well on line race is in my mind not to exating. But i can go there even if i know i will bit the dust. As fore sure i will against a stage 3.
    But on track its so much more about skills and not horse power and thats in my mind more intresting.
    I haven't been on the track yet, but I totaly agree to the fact that it is the turns that are fun
    (Thats why I had such a great time with the scaglietti, sure, his car is much faster on the straights, but if he can't drive it when the road isn't straight, he loses anyways)
    Competing 0-100km/h or driving 220+ isnt that exciting really

If you donīt mind my asking, why did you have three RS4 that never saw a tuner hand, and than you decided to drop some serious horse power on your RS6?
    His RS6 is stock.

But he drives it hard
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Originally posted by Erik
    His RS6 is stock.

But he drives it hard
    Youīre right, I remember a thread where we were discussing the E55 Vs RS6 power and Keo was the one that said he had a tuned RS6 and almost could keep up with the E55 and not 8:29 RS6. Sorry.
    Anyway, any special reason for you (8:29 RS6) to have three RS4?

J.Seven

Youīre right, I remember a thread where we were discussing the E55 Vs RS6 power and Keo was the one that said he had a tuned RS6 and almost could keep up with the E55 and not 8:29 RS6. Sorry.
    Anyway, any special reason for you (8:29 RS6) to have three RS4?

J.Seven
    I did not have 3 at one time. This was over a long period of time when i had other cars as well. No spesiall reason other then when fammily got big i started to drive RS avant cars(pretty much space in them and fast). Before this i always drove M cars.

And i must say after driving M3 E46 at the ring, the RS4/6 dosent feel so funny. RS cars is fast but not a comunicating instrument. If compeard the M3 E46 is more of that. But as i understand reading here Audi is trying to change this as tailpipe said. This is in my world very welcome and not a day to late. Mayby then i can see my self in a Audi just as a track car.

I must say i drove them RS4 very hard at tracks and at Nurburgring. They held up pretty god for the beating they get. And as far as breakes in my mind on RS4 and on RS6 is not as bad as the word is said.

Black pagids(or other race pads) and motul 600 and steel lines thats a cheep upgrade but its relly improving.
    Bite better,( even cold) feel is more secure in the 2 toner and the set up can easily take more heat, so you can go at it more laps.

Dont nead to be breaked so hard to really work compeard to stock. But the most importent is to breake right. Even the biggest and say best breakes can easy fade or be destroyed if overbreaked.
    Just my 2cents
    "Learning by doing"

..Hemingway..

Originally posted by xscream
    I haven't been on the track yet, but I totaly agree to the fact that it is the turns that are fun
    (Thats why I had such a great time with the scaglietti, sure, his car is much faster on the straights, but if he can't drive it when the road isn't straight, he loses anyways)
    Competing 0-100km/h or driving 220+ isnt that exciting really
    Me and my friends are renting Gotland Ring next year in april, we will of course be going more times. And planing a visit to Nurburgring in April as well. You are more than welcome to join us
    "Learning by doing"

..Hemingway..

Nice! MC plates - where do you live?

At patio palace, ave. hector otto, do you know it? Or thats where my family lives anyways, its their car to, as I said in the first post
    Im still stuck in sweden with my rs4

But I visit them regulary, and get my chances to drive the RS6 some more

Where do you live? Do you drive a RS6 to?

BR
    Last edited by xscream; October 24th, 2004 at 10:49.