Thread: gallardo V10 engine question...

gallardo V10 engine question...

I heard some people saying that the gallardo´s V10 where based on Audi´s V8 engine, basically simply "adding" 2 more cilinders, everyhing else would just be the same.

do you know anything about that engine development?

please help!
    [IMG]http://www.oktaner.com/outros/assinatura_wrx_vti.gif[/IMG]

it is certainly a development of the v8 engine.
    Its on the same bore centres, but it is much more than a v8 with 2 extra cylinders.
    It has a very high specific output immediately, with more to come. It has a dry sump, dual variable inlet and outlet manifolds, an 18 degree offset crank pin to keep the engine properly balanced
    720/10 = 72 + 18 = 90 which is the v angle.
    The casting is very advanced, the technology is being transferred to Gyor so the entire engine can be made there.
    R+C

But it sounds like two times the old 5 cylinder Audi engine.

Great car!
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Re: gallardo V10 engine question...

Originally posted by rdpg_Oktane
    I heard some people saying that the gallardo´s V10 where based on Audi´s V8 engine, basically simply "adding" 2 more cilinders, everyhing else would just be the same.

do you know anything about that engine development?

please help!
    thanks for the tech info, as usual

I got that reply in a lambo forum, don´t know if you have acess to it.

The answer is "yes" and "no".

Confusing isn't it?

In reality, the majority of the engine is based on (and made alongside with) the current 4.2L V8 that is utilized in multiple Audi sedans.

However, Audi engineers added things like a dry sump lubrication system, a variable-length inlet manifold, and of course variable valve timing to the Gallardo's engine.

In that respect the Gallardo's V10 could be rightly considered to be an evolution of the 4.2L V8 more than simply the same engine with two more cylinders.
    [IMG]http://www.oktaner.com/outros/assinatura_wrx_vti.gif[/IMG]

Robin,

Can you tell me what is:

"an 18 degree offset crank pin to keep the engine properly balanced"

It is not a surprise that Audi is reusing component for a new engine. The Audi V8 was developped from the VW 4 cylinders 1,8 inline engine. First V8 was 3,6 l (2 x 1,8 = 3,6)

Cheers from Paris,
    Frederic

Originally posted by Mr Balsen
    Robin,

Can you tell me what is:

"an 18 degree offset crank pin to keep the engine properly balanced"

It is not a surprise that Audi is reusing component for a new engine. The Audi V8 was developped from the VW 4 cylinders 1,8 inline engine. First V8 was 3,6 l (2 x 1,8 = 3,6)

Cheers from Paris,
    Frederic
    Fred
    here is how it works, you will have to excuse me for doing it really simply, but its easier for everybody that way.

The engine is a 4 stroke, which means all 10 cylinders fire every 2 revolutions.
    2 revolutions is 2 x 360 = 720 degrees.
    So a 10 cylinder engine fires every 720/10 = 72 degrees
    To keep everything balanced, you therefore use a 72 degree V engine block.
    However, you want to keep the engine weight as low as possible, so you use a 90 degree V engine block
    this means that the engine will not be perfectly balanced, so you offset the crank pin
    90-72 = 18 degrees, which is the amount by which the crank pin is offset on the V10 engine.

Interestingly, BMW, with their new V10 engine only manage to offset the crankpin 17 degrees, but it still feels smooth.

R+C

Originally posted by Nordschleife
    Interestingly, BMW, with their new V10 engine only manage to offset the crankpin 17 degrees, but it still feels smooth.

R+C
    They also managed to keep unwanted pounds off. Gotta love German cars!

If you would like to learn more about this, i have some intersting sites (depending on how much you know).

http://www.e31.net/engines_e.html

Atlanta, Georgia and Ramat-Hasharon,Israel
    Originally posted by Nordschleife
    Fred
    here is how it works, you will have to excuse me for doing it really simply, but its easier for everybody that way.

The engine is a 4 stroke, which means all 10 cylinders fire every 2 revolutions.
    2 revolutions is 2 x 360 = 720 degrees.
    So a 10 cylinder engine fires every 720/10 = 72 degrees
    To keep everything balanced, you therefore use a 72 degree V engine block.
    However, you want to keep the engine weight as low as possible, so you use a 90 degree V engine block
    this means that the engine will not be perfectly balanced, so you offset the crank pin
    90-72 = 18 degrees, which is the amount by which the crank pin is offset on the V10 engine.

R+C

wow. great info.

i always enjoy reading what you have to write.
    :thumb: Buckle Up and Enjoy The Ride.