Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B7 Audi RS4 finally breaks cover

I am sure many of you have already noticed the official Audi AG press release about production of RS6 ending after 8081 units were built. The release ends with this:

"In autumn of the next year, quattro GmbH will begin to produce the new RS 4 at its manufacturing plant in Neckarsulm. Until then, the employees will assist the production of the A6 and at the same time be qualified to manufacture the new quattro GmbH model."

Well spotted. Autumn 2004? Great. I wonder what that means for UK production?

Finally Audi starts to tip its hand.

:s4addict:

Would any of you really buy a naturally aspirated RS4 over a twin turbo RS3? I would go for the lighter car with far higher turbo tuning potential every time. Each to their own though, I guess.

Originally posted by Roadie
    Would any of you really buy a naturally aspirated RS4 over a twin turbo RS3? I would go for the lighter car with far higher turbo tuning potential every time. Each to their own though, I guess.
    I would, i like N/A engines. Less to go wrong, just look at all the problems w/ turbo'd cars.

:s4addict:

That's a good question. I Would consider the RS 4 even though it's breaking with the turbo tradition of the RS models. The RS 3 should be a great car but at this point I think it would be too early to confirm if it will be turbo'd at all. It may end up a HO NA 3.2. You never know.

Ben

True, the RS3 could be NA as well i guess. Then the RS4 would look better to me.

Anyway - what turbo problems? Look at the reliability of 911 turbo's compared to NA BMW M3's with all their vanos problems. A highly tuned NA is under far more stress IMO.

Anyway - what turbo problems? Look at the reliability of 911 turbo's compared to NA BMW M3's with all their vanos problems. A highly tuned NA is under far more stress IMO.
    Vanos problems?!? As far as I know, early production M3s had problems with connecting rod bearings and oil pumps. Early production 996TTs had their fair share of issues too (if I remember right)...

Tailpipe, 190mph seems a tad optimistic from this setup. Whenever magazines take true exotica to oval tracks (which admittedly scrub a bit of speed) there aren't many that top even 180mph... they all seem to get to 160mph quite quickly and then amazingly die between there and 180mph. I would guess 420bhp or around that would be good for 175-180 without a limiter but given the shape and drag I can't imagine it seeing more than this - but hey, we don't know the final specs yet so who knows!

The S4 V8 already makes it to 270-275kph... So I guess that with the extra RS bonus it should be quite close to 290- 295?..

Originally posted by marks6
    Tailpipe, 190mph seems a tad optimistic from this setup. Whenever magazines take true exotica to oval tracks (which admittedly scrub a bit of speed) there aren't many that top even 180mph... they all seem to get to 160mph quite quickly and then amazingly die between there and 180mph. I would guess 420bhp or around that would be good for 175-180 without a limiter but given the shape and drag I can't imagine it seeing more than this - but hey, we don't know the final specs yet so who knows!

If you look at recent postings on the RS6 section of the forum, you'll see an RS6 reaching 196 mph on the autobahn. The next RS4 will be much lighter than RS6 but with less bhp., but the overall power-to-weight ratio should tip in favour of the RS4. I've also heard tmuch alk of prototypes achieving a sub-8 minute lap tie around the Ring.

This car is going to rock and I mean rock. It is going to be another two years before Audi has a new RS6 or the RS9 (Le Mans in production form), so the RS4 will be the performance flagship with Audi committed to making go well. In the final analysis, anything above 170 starts to get scary in my book.

Registered User 5000S old skool's Avatar
    Danbury, CT... overrun by japanese rice tuners
    Originally posted by tailpipe
    If you look at recent postings on the RS6 section of the forum, you'll see an RS6 reaching 196 mph on the autobahn. The next RS4 will be much lighter than RS6 but with less bhp., but the overall power-to-weight ratio should tip in favour of the RS4.

If i remember correctly, I think that RS6 was tuned to 500hp. The B5 RS4 reached up to around 170mph. So I'm predicting with the B7 being lighter then the B5 and with 40 more hp, maybe topping out at around 180mph..
    Last edited by 5000S old skool; December 16th, 2004 at 00:08.

Originally posted by tailpipe
    If you look at recent postings on the RS6 section of the forum, you'll see an RS6 reaching 196 mph on the autobahn. The next RS4 will be much lighter than RS6 but with less bhp., but the overall power-to-weight ratio should tip in favour of the RS4.
    Yeah, but power is what really counts at high speeds...

Is that RS6 bone stock?

Tailpipe, a sub 8 minute RING time indicates little about the top speed. Look at Caterham, Radical, Westfield etc, plus even a humble 330bhp Subaru can put out a sub 8 minute lap...

As for a 196mph top speed for the RS6, would be interested to know if that's a speedo 196 or a true 196... As I say, if you read a lot of reports they all predict very high speeds that never quite materialise when they get to a track with proper timing gear. There was a recent one in the UK in Evo and they tested the DB9, Gallardo etc... all fell short of their predicted top speed.

Let's wait and see the new RS4 and find it's top unlimited speed but if it betters 180mph it will be doing exceedingly well

Originally posted by 5000S old skool
    If i remember correctly, I think that RS6 was tuned to 500hp. The B5 RS4 reached up to around 170mph. So I'm predicting with the B7 being lighter then the B5 and with 40 more hp, maybe topping out at around 180mph..
    I know the owner of that car and its tuned by ACE Competition 500ps at the time he did 315km on speedo. So you have a good memory
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..