Thread: Oil Level Answer?

Oil Level Answer?

After checking my oil and seeing that it was above ther prescribed level I took it in and spoke with my service tech. He said that it was true that Audi originally told the techs to put in an amount that exceeds the capacity. In fact, the parts department still supplies excess oil when a change is called for by service. He said that the oil should be checked cold because it is an expansive oil (when hot) and that it will always indicate past the max mark on the dipstick if it is hot. I think the protocol is for the techs to drive the car after service, which might account for some of the "high" readings people are getting when they pick them up.

He said that it was true that Audi originally told the techs to put in an amount that exceeds the capacity.
    uh, so why the factory specifies the oil quantity when AOA's technicians know better?

I recently reached the 20K mile, and went in to do oil change out-of-pocket. Talked to them about the oil level soap opera going on around, and how techs seemed to be overfilling the tub!

His answer is that they were only following what the latest information was from AoA, and that if it was slightly above the dipstick 'normal' area, it really was not that big of a deal.

I know little about this, so I'm just going on what was told me.
    He asked me if I checked the oil level at the 15K mark, and he assured me that it was most likely higher too. He just proceeded to ask me if I had noticed anything bad with car while it was worked hard for 5K miles, to which I answered 'no'.

So I guess I just won't give them hell over it. But I understand if other owners are upset. Off the soap box for now.

what the latest information was from AoA, and that if it was slightly above the dipstick 'normal' area, it really was not that big of a deal.
    definition "slightly" will vary from dealership to dealership. 1 mm on disptick may be ok, 10 mm is definitely not. It does not make sense to check the oil level anytime but in the morning when cold.

if there has been a 'change' in the recommended level, then I would expect that Audi would have sent a letter to every RS6 owner explaining it and also would issue a new dipstick with the proper markings.

Mike

Re: Oil Level Answer?

Originally posted by GmbHouse I think the protocol is for the techs to drive the car after service, which might account for some of the "high" readings people are getting when they pick them up. [/B]
    Maybe some, but not mine. At 3200 miles past my 25K mi oil change, waiting til after a cold night and not starting the engine before I checked, my level was almost to the top of the top plastic part even though it shoudn't even touch that part.

This was from service on Aug 11. A couple weeks later, when this oil issue was heating up, I checked my oil & called my AOA rep, explaining that I was far from alone in this new dilemma. He said he's get back to me; I'm still waiting.

I'm not worrying too much about it, tho, since no apparent harm has come of it. But there are a couple of sentenes in the US owners manual that warn against overfilling the oil, saying it could cause damage -- to the catalytic converter, if I recall correctly.

I had mine in for a recent service (5k). Got it back filled into the orange tab area, and asked the service tech to take the excess out. He grumbled quite a bit, but eventually did it. The service record shows he used 9 (litres) - I suspect he thought they are quart containers. Oh, and by the way, I had to have my On-Star battery replaced for the 2nd time in 2 months.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

from the service manual (this is + but it should not be any different), page 283:

Oil capacity (oil change with filter replacement) - approx. 7.4 litres

so 9 litres of oil is not correct .. although my close friend had his 15k km service and the stealer's n/c invoice stated 11 litres ...

Other issue we've experienced in this part of old continent is that the "long life oil" used by Audi dealers will vary from one to another and they without any problem used 0W30 (VW spec 506.01 or 503.01, don't remember) oil and refused to acknowledge the rs6 manual and service book specifying different oil. After my call to the factory they, red faced, replaced the oil and filter again, this time with correct 505.01 oil ....

At least Audi is inconsistent.javascript:smilie('')
    smile