Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Need Audi specs for RS6 wheel alignment. Thanks!

Help! Need Audi specs for RS6 wheel alignment. Thanks!

Taking my RS6 in for an alignment check (covered under warranty) tomorrow. I'd like to have a copy of the factory specs with me to compare with what the tech has just to be on the safe side.

Just replaced my OEM Dunlops with 12k miles due to inner tire wear and cupping - especially the left front tire. I want to ensure there is not an alignment issue responsible for this vs. just normal wear due to the nature of the "Beast".

If it's important, I'm running the 19x9" RS6 wheels instead of the OEM RS4s.

Thanks

Had the alignment checked - nothing grossly out of spec. Tech made some minor adjusments to bring toe and camber back into specs. Bottom-line: 12.5k end-of-life of my OEM 18' Dunlops not due to alignment issues.

did you get the printout from ailgn. machine?

Yes, but had to ask as they didn't offer me a copy at first. I observed the complete alignment and discussed what changes were really needed with the service tech. They didn't try to hide anything or avoid making adjustments.

my useless dealer has their alignment machine down, its in for the 5k service and the wheels showed unusual wear patterns. They tell me i can take the car anywhere and the machines "know" the correct alignment for the car. Is that correct?

I don't know - possibly. But, I wouldn't want a non-Audi service technician tinkering with my alignment. Is there another RS6 certified Audi dealer you can go to? There's two in Phoenix so I would think there would be more in NYC.

What kind of wear did you see? All of my OEM Dunlops had "cupping" on the inner-edge as well as wear down to the cords on 2 of them. Only 12k miles. Kept close tabs on proper inflation and had them rotated at 5k and 11k miles. Do you have Dunlops? If so, talk to Audi about contacting Dunlop - maybe the will replace them...

the insides of the tires were worn after 3k miles such that the buyer of them thought they'd probably only be good until 6k!

Originally posted by rs6_newyork
    my useless dealer has their alignment machine down, its in for the 5k service and the wheels showed unusual wear patterns. They tell me i can take the car anywhere and the machines "know" the correct alignment for the car. Is that correct?
    Yes, any high-end shop with the latest Hunter Alignment rack can do the job. The computer program utilized by the Hunter machine does have current factory alignment specs. for virtually every car.
    Jack

[url=http://jackspictures.com/images/GT2/HRE-front-side.jpg]'03 GT2[/url]
    [url=http://jackspictures.com/images/Audi%20RS6/RS6%20side%201.jpg]'03 RS6[/url]

Does anyone have the alignment specs?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

I've got them at my office - I'll try to post tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    I've got them at my office - I'll try to post tomorrow.
    Greatly appreciated!
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    -------

Alignmnent Specs

According to the printout sheet the dealer provided me here they are:

Front
    Camber neg 1-45' to neg 0-55'
    Caster not spec'd, act was 3-35'
    Toe* 0-05' to 0-15'
    Total Toe 0-10' to 0-30'

Rear
    Camber neg 1-30' to neg 0-30'
    Caster n/a
    Toe* 0-03' to 0-13'
    Total Toe 0-06' to 0-26'

* - toe not listed as pos or neg, but assume as neg.= toe-in.

Does the total toe seem high to anyone else? "Old school" toe was measured in inches of difference between the front and rear of the tires. 30' of toe equates to nearly 1/4" of toe-in. It seems most of the spec's I recall seeing are usually half that amount. A Google search finds spec's for Vettes and NSX's confirm that.

I would prefer to see toe closer to zero, more at the low end of the tolerances and the camber closer to neg 1-00'. For a street car that should be plenty. I tried to get the dealer to reset it where I wanted it but the tech was a moron and it was less painful to replace $500 worth of tires than to explain a gazillion times until he finally understood me.
    Last edited by RS6-4dr911; August 13th, 2007 at 20:55.

RS6-4dr911,
    You're a life saver! I have no idea what the numbers scale mean exactly, but I'll give them to my alignment shop.
    THANKS AGAIN

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    -------

bump up - Audi World look here

Look at how many times you said toe. Not once did you say "in" or my search would have hit this post.

Damn it....it did not pick up the "toe-in". I searched toe in....arrrrght. LOL

DHall didnt find it.

BTW,

As a data point.

Hotchkis in CA aligned my car. The handling is very neutral...my car does not push when driven properly. Ask John, Greg or Ben.

LF .08
    RF .08
    LR .08
    RR .08

As a result, my car does not "eat" tires. My PS2s have 10k on them and they are still perfect. So I would say yes, keep the actual setting more to the minimum and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    According to the printout sheet the dealer provided me here they are:

Front
    Camber neg 1-45' to neg 0-55'
    Caster not spec'd, act was 3-35'
    Toe* 0-05' to 0-15'
    Total Toe 0-10' to 0-30'

Rear
    Camber neg 1-30' to neg 0-30'
    Caster n/a
    Toe* 0-03' to 0-13'
    Total Toe 0-06' to 0-26'

* - toe not listed as pos or neg, but assume as neg.= toe-in.

Does the total toe seem high to anyone else? "Old school" toe was measured in inches of difference between the front and rear of the tires. 30' of toe equates to nearly 1/4" of toe-in. It seems most of the spec's I recall seeing are usually half that amount. A Google search finds spec's for Vettes and NSX's confirm that.

I would prefer to see toe closer to zero, more at the low end of the tolerances and the camber closer to neg 1-00'. For a street car that should be plenty. I tried to get the dealer to reset it where I wanted it but the tech was a moron and it was less painful to replace $500 worth of tires than to explain a gazillion times until he finally understood me.
    Last edited by DHall1; December 3rd, 2009 at 16:54.

Going in for an alignment today. Anybody want to post any additional specs? Just going for a close to standard setup, not looking to get very aggressive with the angles.

wonderful! this is the info I'd been hoping would exist - alignment settings and a suspension setup that would make the car neutral, rather than tend to mild understeer. A friend who owns both my current car as well as an RS6 warned me to expect a bit of front-end plow and that it wouldn't handle as neutrally/a bit tail-happy as the Skyline. But I figured that all it'd take would be a bit of out of the box thinking, and a proper suspension setup that wasn't necessarily based on Audi's recommendations.

I wonder what the effect would be to go even stiffer on the rear, or perhaps even a rear LSD (if one fits the RS6), to bring in a bit of mild oversteer? I'm fairly confident that the factory EDL programming wasn't done to make the RS6 tail-happy!
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Going back in for an alignment after the last engine pull. Just looking at some specs since I just put the PSS's back on and noticed a bit of extra wear on the inside fronts (had some fun last summer), rotation will solve some of that.

Front only;

Camber Left -1.37, Right -1.47

Toe Left 0.18, Right 0.18

I wonder if reducing some of the negative camber, say down to -0.9 at a minimum spec, would reduce some of that inside wear?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com