Thread: 996 Turbo - Tip or man

Talking Perfect!

That's more like it.. Thanks!!

:s4addict:
    Regards /Pär

Registered User AuDi-A6-quattro's Avatar
    loose the turbo, get a GT3, the best 911 ever made
    You can't win, until you're not afraid to lose

I once watched a test on TV with a Gallardo and a Porsche 911 Turbo both having no manual transmisson. The Gallardo has won the fight very clearly bacause of his e-gear. Their result was:

A Porsche with automatic only attracts older people in the age of 70... but the Gallardo is a hell of fun... they said they have to make another test with manual gearbox for the porsche to make it a real competition.
    Vorsprung durch Technik

Talking Finally!

Finally I got the time last Thursday to arrange testdrives with two 996tt..one manual and one tiptronic..

First out was a black (wrong color for me, I know) 2001 996tt with manual stick.

This car is mean! ..and definitely addictive..
    Since I've only driven 996 C2 and C4 before I did not really know what to expect..power of course..but how much?

Let me tell you..it's enough!
    When the turbos charge 100% the power is brutal...almost out of control.. I've seen cars for sale in germany with like 570 hp?!? Que? Where the h_ll do I land that kind of car? LAX, CPH, STO??

This car was stock when it comes power...420hp..
    Since the weather wasn't so good..it rained more or less all day..it was a bit difficult to test the car all the way.. But if I should estimate one thing I think that at the same time my S4 makes 0-150km/h the Porsche does 0-220km/h...at least it felt that way..

When I got back in my Audi S4 I immediately noticed a couple of things.
    1. No carmaker comes near the quality that you find in an Audi...that includes Porsche..
    2. I truly love the way my S4 feels..cruising along or flooring it doesn't matter.. I love it!
    3. Since the rain had started coming down in buckets I understand that it was no meaning to testdrive the other car..a silver 2001 996tt with tiptronic. Maybe another day?

I don't know why, but for some reason I don't feel the nead to drive a 996tt tip any more..

Now I only have to wait for the 17th of July and the premiere of the brand new 997 Carrera S... Maybe 355hp/400Nm out of a 3,8l NA engine is more what I am looking for?

But when again, maybe not..
    ..did I tell you that the 996tt was addictive..? :360:
    Regards /Pär

Re: Finally!

Originally posted by McBurn4ever
    Finally I got the time last Thursday to arrange testdrives with two 996tt..one manual and one tiptronic..

First out was a black (wrong color for me, I know) 2001 996tt with manual stick.

This car is mean! ..and definitely addictive..
    Since I've only driven 996 C2 and C4 before I did not really know what to expect..power of course..but how much?

Let me tell you..it's enough!
    When the turbos charge 100% the power is brutal...almost out of control.. I've seen cars for sale in germany with like 570 hp?!? Que? Where the h_ll do I land that kind of car? LAX, CPH, STO??

This car was stock when it comes power...420hp..
    Since the weather wasn't so good..it rained more or less all day..it was a bit difficult to test the car all the way.. But if I should estimate one thing I think that at the same time my S4 makes 0-150km/h the Porsche does 0-220km/h...at least it felt that way..

When I got back in my Audi S4 I immediately noticed a couple of things.
    1. No carmaker comes near the quality that you find in an Audi...that includes Porsche..
    2. I truly love the way my S4 feels..cruising along or flooring it doesn't matter.. I love it!
    3. Since the rain had started coming down in buckets I understand that it was no meaning to testdrive the other car..a silver 2001 996tt with tiptronic. Maybe another day?

I don't know why, but for some reason I don't feel the nead to drive a 996tt tip any more..

Now I only have to wait for the 17th of July and the premiere of the brand new 997 Carrera S... Maybe 355hp/400Nm out of a 3,8l NA engine is more what I am looking for?

But when again, maybe not..
    ..did I tell you that the 996tt was addictive..? :360:
    You know you want to.

Manual!

Originally posted by McBurn4ever
    Anyone who has driven both the Tiptronic and the manual version of a Porsche 996 Turbo?
    Yes I have, and I would never pick the Tip ever. The manual gearbox in a Porsche is one of the best of its kind and I could never see a reason for giving that away. The Tiptronic is nothing like the sporty SMG II box that the BMW M3 has (which I enjoyed very much) and (the Tip) should be considered as an automatic gearbox with the ability to shift gears manually.

And that's another bad part. I don't see why on earth you would like the gear-changers in your steering-wheel!? I've driven the turbo tiptronic on a race-track and it is very easy that you change gears by mistake when you accidentally hit those buttons.

I've driven the whole present Porsche line-up (except for GT-GT2) and I must say that the 996 Carrera turbo is a great car, but it's not my favourite. For streetracing or long autobahn runs, it's perfect. But for track-days or everyday use my prefs are set for GT3 or a lowered C4.

Just my 2 €...

(Actually I am myself considering a '03 C4 with 30mm lowered suspension, sport exhaust, power-kit (345bhp) with 500km on the clock.)