Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BB Exhaust ordered

Talking BB Exhaust ordered

Well after seeing the thread about the Billy Boat exhaust I went ahead and ordered it from APR, apparently they sold that whole product line to APR. I am very excited to see/hear what it looks and sounds like, I even paid for overnite shipping so I will have it installed tommorow and will have pictures and sound (if I can figure out how to record sound with my Exilim camera).
    I have always loved the way the RS sounds and with this new exhaust it should sound even nicer. Will keep you guys posted.

Bajo
    2007 Audi S8 (daytona/black)
    2005 Mercedes G55 (designo graphite)

What an impulse buy .

It'll need running in before you get to hear the exhaust's potential....so, you shouldn't be expecting a noticeable increase in sound instantly.

LOL!

For some inspiration listen to this...

Eisenmann Exhaust on RS6

http://www.eisenmann-technik.de/expo...33_ovs_ug_.php
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Impulse yes, but its for my baby so it is well worth it, as far as "running in" I have never heard of that before for an exhaust system.
    That eisenmann sounds pretty good to my ears, we will see what mine sounds like, either way I am sure it will be "better" sounding than the Audi sport exhaust that it came with.
    I enjoy the muscle car growl from the beast with great intensity.

Bajo

cool

From the limited pictures I found, it did look pretty decent looking and well made.

Please take pictures of the full exhaust when you get it, and before installation.

Also take pictures of the bent area. I think that it was bent to get around something, but the pipe still is 2.5" at the curve.

Then most definitely take good pix of the system installed.

Quick piece of advice. The exhaust itself is just sort of sleeved on, and then they put braces to tighten it together.
    If the shop you are going to is good, I'd recommend that you weld the joints instead of using the braces. This will prevent any exhaust leaks. I did this when I installed the Scorpion and eventually the MTM exhaust I got for the S4.
    When I change the exhaust on the RS6, I'll definitely do the same.
    They can spray the weld joints with protective paint, that will withstand the heat as well.
    Just some advice, although not a big deal.

Sorry if my post helped you make the decision. However, I'm glad for your purchase.

Well,

The system was installed today, and first impression is that it is TOO QUIET, I called APR and their response was that it shouldnt be quiter but more sportier and they are checking with Billy Boat exaust and will get back to be by monday. Also he also mentioned that it should be "run in" more and should get louder. Anyone else believe this, I dont have any experience in stainless steel exhaust so I will play dumb. Any comments appreciated or past experience will help.

Bajo

Originally posted by Bajors6
    Also he also mentioned that it should be "run in" more and should get louder.
    After our trip through Germany, flat out most of the time, a friend in his M3 E46 Convertible is no longer looking to upgrade his exhaust.

"It is much louder now" he told me when I asked a few days ago.

Tone should change after about 5k miles or so.

I have never measured what the dB change is, but I always prefer the "broken in" exhaust note over the brand new exhaust.
    Let us know what BB says.
    Robert
    06 Magnum SRT8 : Trinity
    06 Sequoia AKA: The School bus

Guys,

Thank you for your input I plan to drive it over the weekend and probably out 600 miles on it and we will see bext week.

Bajo

k

If the exhaust is quieter, it most likely has nothing to do that it's stainless steel. I think if it is quieter it must be because of the mufflers, center and rear.

Is it quieter on the inside? Under normal driving conditions, WOT, or both?

Is it quieter on the outside? Under normal conditions (driver's window opened), WOT, or both?

I know that the sport enhanced exhaust that comes stock has small almost bullet like mufflers, both center and rear, and that could be part of it.
    Usually over time it's possible that it will open up a bit more, but I don't know that for sure either.

How does it look though? What does it sound like at WOT?

I'm sorry but what is WOT?

BB Exhaust
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsbb3.jpg 
Views:	754 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	1575  

Sounds it is best sounding between 1500 - 2000 RPm, WOT (wide open throttle) not impressive, nowhere near the growl as OE sport exhaust, windows down or up same reverb heard at above mentioned RPM's.

Bajo

2nd shot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsbb2.jpg 
Views:	1172 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	1576  

What did you expect?
    Billy Boat is a joke exhaust company. Their experience is in American cars, not European turbo charged cars.
    BB is all about the look of it.
    Just look at where Billy Boat is coming from.
    Now be sensible, flog this off on EBay and buy a proper exhaust system, from a company that understands what is involved and has tested the exhaust system on the car for both sound and power.
    Your one consolation is that it was cheap, relatively.

R+C

Some running is required, but I have doubts that the increase in sound would be substancial after the run in period.

Nordschliefe's suggestion might be a viable option, or de-cat the RS6.

There's an alternative, and that's to wash out the back boxes, but that could be risky?

nice system

I think the exhaust looks nice.
    I can't give an opinion on sound, because I've not heard it.

It seems that you mention quiet as in relative to the enhanced sport OEM exhaust. Have you ever heard a stock M5? Is it that kind of quiet?

I can't see how they would have made the exhaust extremely quiet, since after all you have a V8 under there. I don't think the exhaust is crap. It just might have not been what you were looking for.

I suppose we've all learnt a lesson at your expense however. If anyone is thinking of changing their exhaust system, they should have a talk with the manufacturer first to make sure that the exhaust is quieter or louder then stock, depending on preference.

I want more pix dude...!

Nordschleife, what is your opinion on http://www.eisenhaus.com/

I visted their facility about a month ago and it looked ok.